Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 
New User
New User

This morning I've had a very minor accident while filtering through stationary traffic and wanted to get some advice about what I should do?

Basically this morning I was travelling down a local road the weather was sunny and clear.

There was a line of traffic that was stationary due to temp traffic lights, so i was filtering past the traffic (inside the white line) travelling at around 10-15mph. I noticed that there were 2 cars signalling to turn right at a nearby junction, these cars were probably 1 car length away from the junction. When I saw them I started to slow down anticipating them to turn as there was no oncoming traffic. However as I got closer it appeared that the cars were not going to move and were still in the line of traffic (stationary), as I've continued down the road the first car has pulled straight out into the right hand junction, I've applied the breaks to try and stop and just clipped the rear drivers side quarter of the car. After this happened, we both pulled over into the junction and the guy in the car was very abusive towards me, to be honest I really thought that he was going to hit me! Calling me all of the names under the sun. The car that was behind him also pulled into the junction and asked if I was ok. The guys who's car I'd hit started to verbally abuse the guy who had stopped and he said that it was the car drivers fault as he should have easily seen me in his mirrors. He gave some more abuse and I thought there might have been a fight, but the other guy drove off to avoid conflict so I wasn't able to get any of his details.

So in summary he thinks that it's my fault and I think that the blame is with him and had he not reacted in the way that he did I'd have a witness who would be able to back up my story.

In terms of damage, I've fixed my bike which cost £20 for a new indicator stalk, but his car was only 2 weeks old (hence the reaction) and there is a small dent (the size of a £2 coin) and a scratch. In addition there is a small dent in the sill which I assume is rom my front wheel.

So far I've spoken to the police and they've told me there is nothing that they can do and I need to tell the insurance company. Some people have said it's either 50/50 or it's his fault. I just dont want to get landed with a big bill to fix his car, or let my insurance people know and bump up my premiums if I don't need to.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 13:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi Mr Barlow :welcome:

Firstly, I’m glad you are okay. :)

I know it’s too late now but it’s a shame you didn’t at least get the car reg of the man who was on your side of the argument. The first thing I think I would have done, if it were me, is grab my mobile to use as a camera. But I understand how in the heat of the moment these things escape us.

You weren’t filtering illegally, AFAIK, and the speed you were travelling at is within guidelines which, from memory, should be no more than 20mph than the traffic speed. At least that’s what I was told the once pertaining to motorway filtering.

The one thing we are told to do in any road accident is is never admit liability, even if it is very clear who is to blame. In these circumstances, where there could be a grey area, it’s reasonable to just say 'knock-for-knock' and both learn from it but he sounds like he’s accusing you of being culpable. (He may have come down to Earth since and in the cold light of day have acquiesced a little to your and the other driver's point of view).

Even a small dink in a car’s bodywork costs a ridiculous amount to make good. I remember the quote I got to get rid of a nasty scratch on my Mazda’s bonnet for £300! He said it can only be done by taking it off and re-spraying the entire bonnet. (I thought they could have just done that small area). So he may be looking at taking the same hit, no pun intended.

I think the most likely option is for you both to put it to your insurance companies and let them argue the toss. Your premium shouldn’t go up unless he successfully claims on your insurance or you do, which sounds like you don’t need to anyway.

Best of luck mate and, without wishing to sound like your dad, when it comes to motorcycling it’s imperative you treat every other road user like a blithering idiot on a life’s mission out to get just you. (I know you know that but the urge to say it overpowered me :) ). You may want to ask a police biker when you see one for a more interested and concerned take on the matter :wink:

Tone Image

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 18:56 
New User
New User

Thanks for that great post Tone, made me feel much more confident that I wasn't entirely to blame for the accident! About to bite the bullett and give the insurance company a ring now to see what they have to say about it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 19:16 

Unless things have changed, I believe that you can notify your insurance but ask them not to treat it as a claim unless you wish them to. That way if the third party contacts you directly, you may be able to get him to have the work done privately which might be cheaper than losing a no claims bonus and excess (that's assuming that you are told that you are to blame or it looks like going "knock for knock", which will still cost you.) You might also be able to assertain from the insurance, who they feel will be liable for blame, from the discription that you have just given. Best of luck.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 19:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

barlow1984 wrote:
Thanks for that great post Tone, made me feel much more confident that I wasn't entirely to blame for the accident! About to bite the bullett and give the insurance company a ring now to see what they have to say about it...
Thanks for the compliment dude and I hope you will get back with the outcome. :)

Graball makes good points which help add to my own take on things.

There are quite a few bikers on this forum, which warms my heart. :D

If you feel so inclined, do please stick around and tell your friends about Safe Speed. If your user name indicates your year of birth, current road policies are going to affect your generation very much more than mine.

Take care.

Tone.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.