The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 18:55 
New User
New User

Hi. UK driver.

To get right to the point:
My road is on the bend of a busy main road with traffic lights about 20 meters ahead, just visible from the left hand lane when travelling towards the lights.

Was turning from the main road into my road (right).
A car had just turned into my road.
There was no on-coming traffic in the other direction and the traffic lights ahead had turned red,
I turned right into my road but the car in front was forced to stop, a pedestrian took this as a good time to run across the road and I was then also forced to stop while still being VERY partially in the left hand lane of the main road.
At this point I was hit from behind, very gently on my far left lumper by his far right bumper.

The damage is to the bumper, but because they are all integral these days it needs to be entirely replaced.

Who would you say is at fault?
To be perfectly honest I'm not certain because I guess technically I turned before the road was clear, though at the point I had turned the car who had turned down my road was still moving.
Though I do think there is no way someone should have hit me as I was NOT going fast and obviously had not even left the road by the time they started accelerating.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 00:48 

This is not a legal advice forum but in general if you run into something in front of you it's your fault.

Anyway, send it to your insurance to deal with, who will no doubt decide it's 50:50 and screw you both over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 
New User
New User

The guy admitted fault so it's all being handled by his insurance company, first time I have ever had the driver at fault admit fault in the 3 accidents I have had where the other driver was at fault!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 22:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rule number one: I have been told it is anathema to admit liability even if you plough into a car at 100mph in a :30: limit. Submit the details to the insurance companies accurately, honestly and with integrity and let them battle it out.

Secondly: There are exceptions, but generally if someone hits you up the arse it is they who are at fault.

On these matters it is usually the norm to direct you to a forum called Pepipoo, but I can't access a link to them tonight and paste it here because God hates motorists. :P

Google them and take it from there...

(If you Google God.com and get through to him/her/it please ask it to contact me because I have a question or two I'd like answering :twisted: )

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.