Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 for the price of one!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 14:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

on the way to get some groceries this morn I was following a briskly and well ridden Shirley Davidson.

We were going along an urban 30 toward a roundabout with the start of a 40 (at the time of writing :x ) DC. The exit of the roundabout puts you in lane 2, lane 1 has a filter from the left. At the end of the on filter, there is a ped exing. Shirley Davidson is now a ways ahead of me, the lights are red, there is a van in lane 2 and an R reg Astra estate in lane 1 with a Clio in front. Just as the Bike is about to be next to the astra, the Astra driver, arm holding onto roof, executes a lane switch to lane 2. Phew, that was close, good thing the bike rider had already clocked him, so it was just a matter of filtering back in front of him.

The lights now are green and we move away. As we are accelerating gently away, Clio decideds to change lane and does so, exercising the observational skills of the Titanic iceberg spotter. As she (as it turned out) switches lane the Astra is now right next to her, there is nearly a clash of door mirrors, she hlaf aborts the manouver, then thinks again, as her wheels are over the white line anyway she has another go, but the car is still there. Eventually the passenger in the Astra gesticulates and the penny finally drops for the old dear.

Both drivers at fault if you ask me. The Astra hadn't seen the bike, the Clio then didn't see the Astra, but alls well that ends well.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 14:36 
User

Mirror Signal Manoeuvre. no mention of looking over your shoulder which is what seems to be the issue here

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:06 
User

scanny77 wrote:
Mirror Signal Manoeuvre. no mention of looking over your shoulder which is what seems to be the issue here

Mirror, Manoeu.... Where's me shopping-list? Signal? Manoeuvre.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:47 

Hmm, it's a sunday alright....I've been about 50 miles today and seen enough sloppy driving to be a normal weeks worth....;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:54 

I even had someone blow their horn at me....I assumed it was me although I was about 30 yards down the road before they finally managed it but no one else was around so either it was a horn blow or a dodgy indicator stalk.... ;-)

I was on 40MPH dual following 30MPH dodderer but catching him up as I was doing 40MPH, we came to island where you have choice of left or right. I took right lane after indicating right, he stayed in left (no indicator). I went round island in right lane, he went round (eventually) in left lane (turning right like me) then as I was a fair few yards past him he decided that a horn blow would be a nice gesture. Well even if he didn't know where his indicator stalk was at least we can take comfort that he found his horn.... ;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 19:47 
User

i had a similiar one the other day. roundabout with 3 exits, 9, 12 and 3 oclock with 2 lanes approaching. i approached in the right hand lane with my right indicator on. the car in the left lane cut straight across my nose and turned right with no indicator at all. with both my window open and hers, she must have heard me shouting 'dumb bitch' :lol:

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 21:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There wasn't too much excuse for the Astra not looking and seeing the bike, but the old girl....

... I have been thinking about this today. She has probably been driving for 50 years. The traffic in Southend can be quite frightening for the nervous. She has undoubtably had her eyes deteriorate slowly over the years and has adjusted (hopefully) to this, but possibly her body is not so agile these days, so her ability to do the 'ole lifesaver over her shoulder isn't what it was, if she was ever shown/told how to do one. Either that or she was just just having and off day.