Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: silly old bag
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 21:49 
User

In Gear wrote "A tidy car does help concentration" I have always felt that I drive better in a clean and tidy car. Not sure why this is maybe it is pride, feel good factor, confidence boost who knows but if it works for me it is a good excuse to keep washing and polishing the car despite the fact that folk think I am mad.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apart from the obvious things moving about in the car and distracting you, I think that the clean car business is indicative of a state of mind about motoring.

If you think a car is "just for getting from A to B" why bother keeping it clean and in good order? If you take care of your car you are more likely to be an enthusiast and interested in driving. You will thus (possibly) be a more conscientious driver.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 01:08 
Site Admin

I think that helping remind older folk about falling into Bad Habit driving is the best way to improve their skills as well as potentially assess their driving overall. IF and only IF their driving is so low standard further investigation is needed to assess if medical (eyesight) or old age (brain function) is the root cause.
It is useless if you force old folk into expensive assessments when it is totally un-necessary, and if I get old then I don't want to have to face a whole load of test and proving exams. I just want to have someone tell me the truth and try and improve and if still unsuitable then one has to face the end of one's driving career, which I would hate. Imagine if you are by yourself and this is your only way to travel, it deprives them of their freedom, so first we have to be obligated to understand what and why things are going wrong.
More skills, knowledge development earlier on may help to prevent the onset of bad behaviours later.

Then IF a car is suitable for the elderly drivers to enable them to have their freedom, and so OK they are in slower perhaps electric vehicles.
I would that they traveled at 40mph comfortably (and told to pull over often) in a 60mph with an 'OAP' badge, (and I overtake them) (IF they are otherwise competent), than to run them off the road - as it were.
I hate tests and might perform badly, assessments over time are better and more realistic.

On another note I have found that placing lots of batteries in a Corsa does help it to vibrate less and be a little more stable ! ;)

I agree in general that tidy cars, may typically mean that someone cares about the car, and might also extend into their driving, but I am not totally convinced. I absolutely agree that secure luggage is best practice, and shows a level of driving concern.

However I have, as some of you know, had one heck of a lot to deal with, and my cars have fallen way below my normal 'standard' as a consequence, which I find very sad. I do find it hard to have animals and a clean car or at least a non hairy one, and try hard to keep things very organised ! The roof box is good for some long laden journeys.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 06:49 
Supporter
Supporter

malcolmw wrote:
Apart from the obvious things moving about in the car and distracting you, I think that the clean car business is indicative of a state of mind about motoring.
If you think a car is "just for getting from A to B" why bother keeping it clean and in good order? If you take care of your car you are more likely to be an enthusiast and interested in driving. You will thus (possibly) be a more conscientious driver.

"Clean and in good order" don't necessarily go together. I know several people whos car's are always very shiny and who mock my scruffy looking shed. But ask them what their tyre pressures are, or when they last checked the oil and you get a blank look. I know which I think is more important.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 23:42 
User

God . I am odd . and the Mad Cats must be deranged as we all clean/polish/vaccum the cars .. and check the engines/tyres/wipers / errr P O W E R applies really :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 02:20 
Site Admin

Enabling concentration to focus on one pure function (driving) is less so when the car might be full of other items that may move.

When I have a dog or two int the car my driving style is different than when it is without passenger.
Even people passengers will alter driver focus and driving style.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 23:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Enabling concentration to focus on one pure function (driving) is less so when the car might be full of other items that may move.

When I have a dog or two int the car my driving style is different than when it is without passenger.

You know ,SSV2 - that's something worthy of a whole new topic .I know with dog on board I drive lookinf a lot further ahead - because Toby sits on edge of rear seats and if I brake a bit too harshly ,he ends up on floor .Sort of brings ip a whole new sort of driving -but hinges on longer slowing down periods than normal,and that can antagonise some folowers-especially the impatient ones.The answer say some is to put dog in boot area,especially in hatchback - yep great till someone slams into your rear ( and I've had it -two years later dog died ,from liver cancer ,brought on by injuries from crash)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

botach wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

You know ,SSV2 - that's something worthy of a whole new topic .I know with dog on board I drive lookinf a lot further ahead - because Toby sits on edge of rear seats and if I brake a bit too harshly ,he ends up on floor .Sort of brings ip a whole new sort of driving -but hinges on longer slowing down periods than normal,and that can antagonise some folowers-especially the impatient ones.The answer say some is to put dog in boot area,especially in hatchback - yep great till someone slams into your rear ( and I've had it -two years later dog died ,from liver cancer ,brought on by injuries from crash)

Apologies for being very late returning to this thread. I agree different driving styles depending on cargo is worthy of discussion in itself.

Briefly - very sorry to learn of your loss after rear-ending. Food for thought from this: Driving to reduce deceleration - as if dog on seat edge - should also reduce prospect of being seriously rear-ended too, although, for the reason you explain, it may make those behind you more aggressive. It is for this reason that driving is so much about psycology - feeling the moment and minimising overall risk.. all the time.