Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Blind Spot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:46 
Site Admin

Interesting & good to hear ... :) I wonder why she has never taken the plunge ?

Taking note of Rogers uttered phrases springs to mind words used for VHF Radio License (which I did yrs ago during my lifeguard years!).
All words are clearly different.
Looking and thinking of 'Halt' and 'All .... ' makes me think that if a driver hears 'both the 'A or Ha' that is remarkably similar.
(I appreciate that they are said with inflictions & in famarilar tones that you are very used to and so maybe very clear to you.)

But I think better words are around. We used NO or Stop as a reject and Clear for a positive. Done only when asked, but never stopped us looking ! We decided that No and Go were too close ....
Are there better ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 01:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Interesting & good to hear ... :) I wonder why she has never taken the plunge ?

Claire - two things - local idiots( she feels that there's enough on road ) , and possibly the old adage - why keep a dog .........................

Think a lot of dependance has come about from my having to take Transit home over past nine years . On normar junctions -visibility is OK -,but take a "Y" junction - and you depend on the passenger judgement -you cannot see anything to the left - to car drivers - try driving with your rear ppassenger window blocked off , and depending on the info from your passenger .You even learn to aproach such junctions so that you can see both ways .( and a lot of car drivers cannot fathom out WHY)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 05:30 
Site Admin

botach wrote:
Claire - two things - local idiots( she feels that there's enough on road), and possibly the old adage - why keep a dog
Sounds like a need of confidence to me. :)
botach wrote:
Think a lot of dependance has come about from my having to take Transit home over past nine years . On normar junctions -visibility is OK -,but take a "Y" junction - and you depend on the passenger judgement -you cannot see anything to the left - to car drivers - try driving with your rear ppassenger window blocked off , and depending on the info from your passenger .You even learn to aproach such junctions so that you can see both ways .( and a lot of car drivers cannot fathom out WHY)
Oh I quite understand - drove a 3 ton lorry through London on a Sat pm and all over the London / Essex areas when we moved. (Our campervan has some restricted views of course.) Also hired vans for shows or the trailers & horseboxes too, which have their own specific driving peculiarities.
Observing fully is resolved through consideration and experience. However some people might need to be shown what the problems are and how to resolve them. Getting that view by getting 'square' (right angles) onto the road junction is often the best vision position.