Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: wrong way on DC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 22:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Going into town today I was waiting at a round about. There was a car in front of me turning left. Roundabout is clear and off it goes, I'm looking to go and then BANG!! WTF? Car that had moved off was clear to go by miles (metaphorically) and was slightly obscured by the railings that don't keep the pedestrians where their supposed to be :evil: . I look again and there is a plastic bumper leaning up against said railing, but a different colour to the car, "oh it's hit it" thinks me, but a big noise for a plastic bumper strike. I look again, and there is a car FACING the car that has just gone, sans bumper and coming UP the ON RAMP! Yikes

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: wrong way on DC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Did you stop? Was anyone hurt? Did you report it?

Do you know the road/surrounding area, and if so, can you conceive of how such a situation could have occurred? (poor road engineering somewhere??)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 15:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There were several people that actually saw it, I only heard it. I parked up and collared a pair of PSCO's, they had heard all about it on the radio and help was on it's way in a couple of minutes. I don't know what I am doing so thought it better to leave the road clear for the people that do know, rightly or wrongly.

There are two ways that car could have got where it was:

1) it went around the roundabout the wrong way

2) there is a side road from a residential street that feeds onto the DC, but it you would be facing the central reservation when you were at the junction and it is blindingly obvious it is a DC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 15:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Guessing - the miscreant decided to chance it for a short hop the werong way to the roundabout having turned out from the side road to avoid going a long way out of his way just to come back. Hmm... bad call!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 15:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Roger wrote:
Guessing - the miscreant decided to chance it for a short hop the werong way to the roundabout having turned out from the side road to avoid going a long way out of his way just to come back. Hmm... bad call!

Had he gone the right way, it would have cost him 500 meters. Assuming he has a driving licence and insurance, he's probably looking at some points and a big repair bill/insurance hike.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:12 
User

i have seen something similiar at amesbury, wiltshire. big roundabout at the A303 with an exit on to a DC heading towards andover. a car was sitting facing the roundabout in the outside lane of the DC. whether it was involved in an accident or not i cant say. i do remember seeing it though and i couldnt believe it. so many idiots on the roads and so many idiots in charge of the roads (dft)

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585