It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Road platform
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 21:40 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Lucy W wrote:
Walley:
I can’t be bothered to look it up, but I am certain that somewhere it says your horn is only for warning other users of your presence. Why don’t you copy and paste CUR 99 and we can see if we can find it in there for you?

HC 112 : You MUST NOT use your horn
When stationary on the road
When driving in a built up area between the hours of 11:30 pm anm and 7:00 am
except when another road user poses a danger.
CUR reg 99

Walley: That is not CUR 1986!!!!!! That is the Highway Code - COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and I suspect that you have in fact edited Rule 112 - naughty boy!!

No one is prosecuted under the Highway Code for mis-use of their horn, they are prosecuted un CUR 1986 and various amendments.

Is anyone going to show Whalley how to copy and paste properly and google the full wording of the HC which I am confident will illustrate my point, or is this web site going to remain a laughing stock by leaving mis-leading, erroneous and irresponsible quotations to remain which may lead to the reduction of safety on our roads if left uncorrected?

Wally, you are extremely irresponsible to edit HC 112 in th way you have. Its neither clever or funny. You obviously have no idea of the fatality statistics relating to the mis-use of horns.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 23:53 
Life Member
Life Member

Bloody hell, I'm glad someone else has spotted this problem! I thought I was being overly cautious!

In a town near me, the high street (for no apparent reason) speed limit was reduced a few years ago to 20, complete with bus stop build-outs, deliberate pinch points, and raised speed tables. One of which is at a T-junction. The road is raised on the approach to the junction from the "bottom" part of the T, and on either side of the "horizontal" approaches to the junction. When first installed, and when approaching the junction from the right hand side (with traffic waiting to pull out from the left), I was aware that driving "up the table" would momentarily make my dipped beams appear full beam, and an apparent invitation for drivers at the junction to pull out.

As a result, I always approached the junction usually at 20 but coasting in gear with one foot covering the brake pedal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 18:58 
Life Member
Life Member

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I am pondering if the hand wave that they gave you was the 'I know that I shouldn't be doing this' but 'as there is an inch of space, I have leapt out into it, and I know that I should not have' scenario, so 'I have been really cheeky, and slightly dangerous, so if I wave and smile nicely' you may hit your horn, but I am likely to get away with no more than that !

In City driving - and I assume we are talk your local City here ;) then I have certainly had this occur to me.

Of course, and at many busy junctions you anticipate it, but this was a fairly quiet road with no need for any pushyness, which is why it was more unexpected.

Quote:
The 'false flash' problems, are most interesting.
It is a really dangerous phenomenon and nothing to do with Road safety and yet another reason against the bumps and tables !

I often go over the bumps and tables at an angle so one front wheel goes slightly before the other which I hope makes this 'flash' less, plus I try to go quite slow and steady too. I have debated which wheel should go first and I reckon the o/s one BUT some bumps / tables have either not enough space to do this but I aim for this. The point being that the car is facing away from on-coming traffic (slightly) when approaching making it the safest angle / facing direction for all eventualities, other than people stepping out - but even then I could argue that the vision has already been taken and path plotted for best optimal route.

Often not possible, many road tables also incorporate pinch points, plus a diagonal approach itself can be mis-interpreted as a clumsy intent to turn...

I guess one option could be to turn the headlamp levelling to it's maximum-down position in built up streetlit areas when you don't really need the illumination so much