Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 15:08 
User

I'll admit haven't been feeling well just lately, and my eyes have been sore, which perhaps didn't help my concentration.

Earlier today I was approaching a mini-roundabout on a T junction layout, with me approaching from the left of the T. There was a stationary car waiting for the roundabout to clear, so I let the car slow (engine brake) and then put it into second, letting it coast forward. The car in front advanced as I was approaching so there was no need for me to brake at this point. I checked the right hand entrance and it was clear so I proceeded.

Unfortunately I hadn't put enough attention into the road ahead of me, firstly I guess due to the car in front obstructing my view and then the massive window pillar I'm forever leading to see round. As I entered the roundabout I saw a black cab approaching my side, and at this point I realised I could only continue and hope. The black cab sounded the horn as I was in front of him and just stopped about 30cm away from me.

I realised that concentrating elsewhere I had failed to assess oncoming traffic and had not seen his right indication and the fact he was a black-cab, thus more likely to do a u-turn. Hopefully this will become part of my semi-conscious mind but in future I will pay more attention to traffic appraoching a mini-roundabout likely to u-turn.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 16:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Your sentiments are worthy but if I were someone doing a U turn at a mini-roundabout, I would be the one being very careful.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 18:22 
Life Member
Life Member

What malc said. I expect other drivers not to anticipate me doing a U turn on a mini roundabout and drive accordingly, and so should any driver... Obviously that doesn't help you much, for the record I'd advise treating cabbies with caution, they do tend to do unpredictable things more than yer average joe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 18:25 
User

Hi, thanks for the replies. I figured that I couldn't use that in defence since I wasn't even aware of the car indicating right, but yes, I would be equally careful to make sure drivers coming on the last exit were aware.

However I imagine the highway code puts the u-turner in the right in the event of a collision.