Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 13:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 18:29 
User

Icandoit wrote:
You should be trying to improve your driving (or riding) skills all the time.

The day you stop and become complacent is the start of the problem.

I have a (very level headed) youth working part time for me, who will be old enough to drive next year, but I have urged him to get some practice if it snows this winter, on private ground - it would have to stand him in good stead if he can already control slipping, and learn to recognise it at the earliest opportunity.
I have a feeling he could become a good driver, because he is quick to learn from experience, and can work out answers to problems of which he has had no previous experience.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 21:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just got back on.

Quote:
I don't think I posted anything that was an 'ad hominium' attack on another poster like you just have in on your only post on this thread.

I just wrote the truth as I see it! The poor OP was asking this forum's advice on a certain matter, and all I have read from you are quotes from the highway code and how much more clever you are. I have never read so many pedantic, pointless comments in all my life! No assistance whatsoever to the OP! :roll:

And the reason I've only posted a couple of times is because others are doing a good job without my twopennorth. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 03:36 

megaginge wrote:
Hello all, first post.

Hello and thanks for sticking through this thread.

If events were exactly as you described, then I would say the motorcyclist was to blame for filtering at excessive speed.

But you will have a hard time convincing your insurance company to fight the case for you.

You may be able to fight the case yourself but I suspect part of the terms and conditions of your insurance are that you have handed over all rights to the insurance company.

Perhaps you could get them to push for a 75/25 settlement?

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:00 

If this thread demonstrates one thing, its the dangers of having different road user groups with different views and attitudes towards certain road behaviours. What to one group is an opportunity to make progress may, to another, appear to be aggresive or impatient behvaiour - a catalyst for road rage :(
It is quite clear to me, from views previously expressed on this forum and from my own observations, that many drivers of four wheeled vehicles do not like to see riders of two-wheeled motorised vehicles filtering through traffic. Why this should be I have no idea, perhaps they are afraid of having their paintwork scratched, or perhaps its just sheer childish petulance at the thought that someone else can clear a holdup whilst they are stuck in a virtual carpark :? Some think it is illegal and others are so bloody-minded they actively try to prevent it from happening.
With this in mind I'd suggest that the 'witnesses', both from four wheeled vehicles, may have presented a one-eyed view of the incident, having already decided that the bike should not have been filtering and then proceeding from that base with their recollections of the incident.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 14:02 
User

Rigpig, I see your point of view and actually completely agree with it.

Coming from a family of riders I ALWAYS allow bikes to filter traffic, move out of their way, wave them through, even help to make other cars aware of their presence. I plan to start riding within a couple of years, although my current priority is my house deposit.

I think 1 of the 3 witnesses may well have been biased as you suggest. On the phone to me he said and I quote "I dont know if the rider should have been there if thats allowed or not". - This is typical driver-centric comments from someone who obviously doesnt like bikers. I would just like to reiterate once more that I am not one of these people!

Thanks for your support all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 23:18 
User

megaginge wrote:
Coming from a family of riders I ALWAYS allow bikes to filter traffic, move out of their way, wave them through, even help to make other cars aware of their presence. I plan to start riding within a couple of years

I hope that you have learned a few things megaginge:
1) People can be extremely pedantic :roll:
2) What you think you see, you may not see
3) Road users are biased towards each other
4) You never stop learning from driving experiences
5) Bikers are vulnerable road users
6) Always check your shoulder blind spots

I sincerely hope that you learned number 5 and 6 if nothing else as if you do plan to start riding in a couple of years they will save your life.

Out of interest, how have the biking part of your family reacted?

megaginge wrote:
Thanks for your support all.

Glad you could get something from us. Please have a look around (it helps you get a feel for some users *ahem* mannersims :roll: ) we don't always talk about the roads :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 00:48 
Site Admin

R1Nut wrote:
I hope that you have learned a few things megaginge:
1) People can be extremely pedantic :roll:
2) What you think you see, you may not see
3) Road users are biased towards each other
4) You never stop learning from driving experiences
5) Bikers are vulnerable road users
6) Always check your shoulder blind spots

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

:hehe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 05:11 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

and 7) - if you can't see safely to perform a manouevre, create visibility first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 23:02 
User

RobinXe wrote:
Incidentally, and very few drivers seem to know this, filtering is perfectly legal, and taught by most riding schools.

I pop into safespeed every so often and without fail I always learn something. I have always thought that these riders where being a bit dodgy nipping between lanes (although I always try and move over if needed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 17:46 
User

BlackadderTF wrote:
RobinXe wrote:
Incidentally, and very few drivers seem to know this, filtering is perfectly legal, and taught by most riding schools.

I pop into safespeed every so often and without fail I always learn something. I have always thought that these riders where being a bit dodgy nipping between lanes (although I always try and move over if needed).

My kind of four wheeled driver :clap: :clap: