The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 05:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My motorway miss
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 14:06 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

My turn.

I just spent the best part of a week driving around Italy in a ‘wrong’ hand drive car (as opposed to RHD), man their driving style is….ermmm…. interesting :lol: However, I didn’t have any close shaves. My near miss was the very evening I returned back to Blighty.

I had a three lane carriageway (A27, Portsmouth) all to myself. Believe it or not I was not exceeding the speed limit (my speed was certainly appropriate). Anyway, I saw a vehicle about to join the carriageway from an entry slip so I moved to L2. The driver merges onto L1, me about to draw parallel in L2 going a fraction faster - so far so good. Then my Spidey Sense started tingling so I continued to watch them carefully. Sure enough they drifted over to the right of L1 and continued such that their wheels crossed the lane separator lines and proceeded into L2 – WTF? Needless to say I gave them a long blast of the horn and moved into L3. Thankfully I had anticipated the manoeuvre and had already planned my escape route.

I guess they hadn’t checked their 'blind spot', OK. The bit that really riled me is that the driver didn’t respond in any way: they just carried on moving into lane 2 oblivious of me (and my loud horn) and they stayed there (remember there was nothing in L1), no change in their speed, no acknowledgement that they had forced me into taking evasive measure – nothing! I can’t help but feel they didn’t learn anything from it :(

edit: Need I now position myself to ensure I'm not in such a 'blind spot' (what a misnomer) even though I'm in a different lane?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 14:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm quite familiar with this area. Can you tell us exactly where, in which direction and at what time this happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 14:50 
Site Admin

Suspend overtaking near slip roads and you'll be safe whatever they do. Obviously you need to avoid being alongside anything too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 14:56 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

malcolmw wrote:
I'm quite familiar with this area. Can you tell us exactly where, in which direction and at what time this happened?

A27 westbound, at the A2030 Eastern road entry slip.
It was ~11:00pm. All sidelights and dipped were on and working (I had confirmed this immediately afterwards), regardless this stretch was illuminated by street lighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 15:06 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:
Suspend overtaking near slip roads and you'll be safe whatever they do. Obviously you need to avoid being alongside anything too.

I already endeavour to not be alongside vehicles (already) in L1 when at entry slips.

Suspending overtaking near slips could have a negative effect if there are slow vehicles involved, but I see your point. I have to consider this further.

I could have also moved into L3 but I have seen drivers on that very stretch of tarmac (1km prior, from A3M) jump straight into L4 of 4 (no other traffic except me behind them - which kinda reinforces your point).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 15:46 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

An extra lane joining - an on-slip - is so very similar to losing a lane in some circumstances! I do my damndest not to be alongside anything in such situations too. It's a fine call as to whether to lift off or, er, lift on ;-) but one or the other usually solves it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:31 
Life Member
Life Member

SafeSpeed wrote:

Surely when traffic levels are on the heavy side, this'll just cause a big slow wave at every junction if everyone did this?