Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 22:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Deer Hazard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 22:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have been surprised on two occasions recently by the sudden appearance of Roe Deer in front of me. One was at night on a very narrow lane, I was going pretty slowly and the animals stayed on the banks. This morning, two bounded over the hedge and one ran along in front of the car just giving me enough space to stop before hitting it.

Now, the noticeable thing about these two incidents is the startling speed at which the deer appear thus giving you almost no warning. I found that experience and anticipation are not a lot of use in this instance as every foot of hedge is a potential hazard - no gaps required. They could come out of anywhere and even if you were creeping along you might still be in trouble.

Anyone got any thoughts on what to observe to forewarn yourself?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 23:37 
Life Member
Life Member

In canada you can buy ultrasonic whistlesthat you fit to the front that scare the deer away. .... or you could get a streight through exhaust :wink:

uk version
I imagine that dogs will love it to. :?

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 23:58 
User

Some time ago now, a woman in Cumbria was killed when a deer crashed through her windscreen.
I seem to remember it had jumped a fence on top of a bank at the roadside. :oops:
There used to be warning signs, but we certainly don't see so many of them now.
My best advice (TIC) would be to keep a space reserved in the freezer! :lol:
The only alternative is to drive slowly enough to avoid them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 04:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I wonder - seriously - if anyone has ever done a correlation of deer collisions to car model, and if so, how valid any result would be given a lot of 4x4s are inherently owned in deer country. I reckon that many vehicles will have an ultrasonic signature that dwarfs the one produced by that device on ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 07:05 
Life Member
Life Member

I hit one in the tr7 :oops: It shook itself off and ran away. the tr7 spent all night trying to put its headlight down (which was a little twisted) and next day had a flat battery.

Deer 1-Tr7 nil

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 08:16 
Site Admin

Roger wrote:
I reckon that many vehicles will have an ultrasonic signature that dwarfs the one produced by that device on ebay.

Interesting. I can't think of many vehicle components that might be small enough or light enough to vibrate at ultrasonic frequencies. Only tweeters, so far, as it happens.

So the next question is: are there noises which are harmonically rich and extend well into the ultrasonic? You get those sorts of noises from hitting things sometimes (cymbals for example), but I can't think of much hitting going on.

All in all, I'm having a hard time imagining much in the way of an 'ultrasonic signature'. Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 08:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Those garden ultrasonic pest repellers might do the trick. Anywhere there is woodland along side the road or dense cover are likely spots for sudden deer appearances. I think deer are particularly jumpy around dawn and dusk so those are the times to have eyes peeled looking for movement in the undergrowth. Probably worth contacting somewhere like the British Deer Society as they are experts on deer related matters and may know of other signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 09:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Those ultrasonic warners only work at 35mph and above, so you can either have a car thats safe from deer, or a clean licence, but not both :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 09:39 
Site Admin

I was once told that deer strikes are far more common in the 'rutting season'.

[And can I just mention that the thread title reminds me of a letter written to a hazard every time I read it... :hehe: ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 09:41 
Site Admin

RobinXe wrote:
Those ultrasonic warners only work at 35mph and above, so you can either have a car thats safe from deer, or a clean licence, but not both :P

Yep. It's those giant herds of urban deer that get you every time. :hehe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:51 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeed wrote:
Roger wrote:
I reckon that many vehicles will have an ultrasonic signature that dwarfs the one produced by that device on ebay.

Interesting. I can't think of many vehicle components that might be small enough or light enough to vibrate at ultrasonic frequencies. Only tweeters, so far, as it happens.

So the next question is: are there noises which are harmonically rich and extend well into the ultrasonic? You get those sorts of noises from hitting things sometimes (cymbals for example), but I can't think of much hitting going on.

All in all, I'm having a hard time imagining much in the way of an 'ultrasonic signature'. Does anyone know?

I was thinking of things like unused holes in brackets, bumper irons, serendipitous tuning in radiator grilles, and in the cooling fins on the rads themselves, finger-holes in subframes, whistling in steering gaiter bellows.... I doubt it's been designed out, but does the need get recognised, and does it present an opportunity to design it IN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 13:08 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
My best advice (TIC) would be to keep a space reserved in the freezer!

I thought you were only allowed to pick up a deer if you hadn't hit it.

You hit a deer and stick it in the boot - illegal, must be reported(?)
You see a dead deer at the side of the road, pull over and stick it in the boot - legal

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 18:24 
Life Member
Life Member

R1NUT - I think you're right.

On the general deer thing, Johnny's Golden Rule is:

If a deer runs across the road in front of you, expect more to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 21:07 
User

I knew I'd seen something about deer strikes...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southwes ... sing.shtml

Whole project is at http://www.deercollisions.co.uk/

PS - Last deer I came across on road was very recently deceased Muntjac: delicious! :hehe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 23:24 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
What are the options?
As the Deer Collisions Project Leader, Dr Langbein is carrying out extensive research into patterns of deer crossing incidents.

By installing cameras at known crossing points he hopes to gain a better understanding of the problem.

"We're trying to film all the deer crossings and look at low-cost measures like reflectors, which reflect car headlights onto the side of the road to startle deer for a brief moment while the traffic's coming."

... we are going to make them all carry identity cards and issue them with fixed penalty notices :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 00:25 
User

Quote:
... we are going to make them all carry identity cards and issue them with fixed penalty notices :lol:

Oh Deer, we should have seen that coming - not like the deer! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 19:25 
User

ASBO = Anti Social Bambi Order?:lol:

(Sorry, I really did try to resist the temptation, honestly!!!) :oops:

Post subject: Re: Deer Hazard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:49 
New User
New User

Last October I had a deer come crashing through my windscreen. Due to the fact that i have had a severe brain injury i don't remember the accident. hoxever it completely destroyed my car!! I have recently driven down that road and there are still no warning signs even though i very nearly died due to a deer on that road. I also know of several other people that have had less severe accidents with them on that road. Can anyone advise me on how to proceed with requesting warning signs to be placed on the road???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 13:47 
Life Member
Life Member

Firstly welcome to the site.

The first place to contact is you county council highways department.
You may also add pressure by getting the support of the parish council.
You may also concider if the deer jumped from a field wether asking for some high fencing might reduce the risks where there is poor visability.
Most of the places I drive have no bushes within 3m of the road and they are much safer. Some councils only agree to clear the hedge row 1m. In a high deer colision risk area a 3m standard could be negotiated?

I don't think you can stop cars and deer colliding , all you can do is reduce the odds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 00:06 
User

Once had one jump in front of me. A Stag! :yikes: He looked straight at me . shook his head und hopped over the hedge again. I think we do not see enough warning triangles though in any case :roll:

Tonight though .. it was sheep. Or rather lambs. Actually these lambs were rater cute. I saw the first one break through a gap in the hedge.. followed by four others. I stopped the car und they seemed to be playing hide und seek/peek-a-boo with each other around the car :lol:

Aaaaaah!

For once I did not immediately (feline nature :D ) think of mint sauces.. rosemary und red wine sauces :lol: or lamb steaks brushed with honey und mustard.. mmmmmm! Then the ewe's face appeared through the little hole in the hedge und a couple of "baaaaaaaaaaaa" later .. the lambs skipped back.

I wish I'd thought to film all this but I was too amused by them. :lol: (Still has not put me off lamb chops though :wink: :bunker: )

But back to thread.. lack of signs .. fails to plug holes in fencing .. lack of awareness that on rurals you could meet large wildlife or even farm animals on the run.. :yikes: do not help matters. As anton say we need to reduce the odds of collision.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!