Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Had a prang
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:42 
User

Someone rear ended me today - massive diesel slick on the road running for about a mile - NSL, so I was doing about 30.. came to a stop when a car was turning right (even then there was hardly any traction and I lost the front!) and the lady came piling into the back of me, tyres blazing.. impact speed was only about 10-15 mph. Her car (Clio) was pretty bad, and mine hadn't a scratch on it because she hit my numberplate (which is destroyed) :)

Is it worth claiming against her for the plate? I hardly think it's worth it. I'd be more concerned about the diesel slick, so I advised her to contact the council and claim, as I spoke to them and they said the Police had reported the slick prior, but nothing had been done about it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:52 
User

seems like you may have provided evidence for the councils speed camera implementation scheme

get your car checked out there may be hidden damage behind the bumber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:02 
User

I'm with scamper, get it inspected anyway.

As for the diesel spill, its the local council highways dept who's responsible for the cleanup - the police will only forward the info onto them. If it had already been reported then the road should have been closed imediately if it was bad enough to cause a loss of traction like you experienced. Deffo worth persuing a claim against the council, although they're just likely to pull the 'driving without due care' card. If the spill's still there, get some photos of it.

Is there any way you can find out who caused the spill? If so the ministry will prosecute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:32 

If it was a danger to the public the Police should have closed the road until, the council response team could attend, I think you would struggle to get a judgement against the council.
But DO get your car inspected, you may have a 'bounce back' bumper, now with bent metal behind it, bent metal that may not be where you need it next time you are shunted.
fatboytim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 
User

Almost no chance of finding out, the road is a central hub to many industrial estates!

I'll get it inspected, but assuming there's nothing the lady has offered to buy me a new plate. Is it worth settling it that way without getting the insurance companies involved? I think she's been through enough, plus her car will cost considerably more to fix.

German engineering. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:52 
User

Assuming there is no damange, I definately wouldn't bother getting the insurance involved over £25. It'll take months to settle and it'll cost her far more than that in excess and lost no-clames (assuming she has some).

Before you decide to settle though, get a quote for an inspection and make ABSOLUTELY sure you're not suffering any back or neck pain. It can take a few days for whiplash to manifest itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 13:02 
User

Problem is I'm already achy from playing sports yesterday, so I'd never be able to prove it. :) I'm not going to claim for something I've not got, and I know many people who have done and got £££ for it. I hate that.

I've booked the car in at a dealership to look at, nice people, they won't even charge me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 13:34 
User

mpaton2004 wrote:
Problem is I'm already achy from playing sports yesterday, so I'd never be able to prove it. :) I'm not going to claim for something I've not got, and I know many people who have done and got £££ for it. I hate that.

Absolutely agree with you there.

Quote:
I've booked the car in at a dealership to look at, nice people, they won't even charge me. :)

That's great news. So assuming they find nothing I'd leave it at that with her paying for the numberplate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 14:28 

My wife got rear-ended in a 2 week old car - no visible damage, but checked it out all the same... £800 damage underneath!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 15:24 
User

verbal hearsay only, but ... I seem to recall being told that even if you agree not to claim on the insurance, you have a responsibility to inform the insurer? I think the reason is as suggested above, if the damage is superficial they need to know in case a future knock causes more damage than it should.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 21:27 

handy wrote:
they need to know in case a future knock causes more damage than it should.

No they need to know so they can load your premium appropriately.

Not informing them could lead to problems claiming in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 01:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Homer wrote:
handy wrote:
they need to know in case a future knock causes more damage than it should.

No they need to know so they can load your premium appropriately.

Not informing them could lead to problems claiming in future.

OH- yes - a good excuse when you renew - till you advise them -"not my fault " --but then - get a good soliciter on the case - "hit from behind, sir - yes thats about £1500 to you for whiplash ( and about £5000 to us )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 07:30 
User

BottyBurp wrote:
My wife got rear-ended in a 2 week old car - no visible damage, but checked it out all the same... £800 damage underneath!

IIRC some of the early Mondeos had a similar problem. Minor shunt from the rear left apparently superficial damage but in-depth inspection revealed rippled floor pans that made the cars write-offs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 13:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd expect similar amounts of damage on both cars since have similar construction and they shared the same impact. If the car behind was badly damaged, you can be pretty sure that something somewhere on yours has crumpled too. The fact that the damage on yours isn't apparent is rather worrying because it makes it harder to assess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 18:40 
User

Had it checked out, nothing, except a few tiny dents in the bumper. The guy was as perplexed as me as to why it wasn't worse. Oh well, I'll take that bit of good luck!