Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 16:22 
User

:gatso2: Dear oh dear. What an appalling lack of observation from the cyclist.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/watch ... 11649.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 21:23 
User

And terrible hazard perception from driver; couldn't they foresee the pinch point coming up, and that the cyclist was going to move out because he was going faster than the guy in front?

And you shouldn't overtake at pinch points anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 21:26 
User

Also as pointed out in the comments below the article (the driver clear sounded the horn in anger after the cyclist had pulled out and was in no danger of being hit by the car or hitting it):

Highway Code s112:

"Inappropriate use of the car horn is dangerous and can distract other drivers, potentially leading to accidents. It’s also important to consider other people's circumstances. ...Never sound your horn aggressively. Even if you are not at fault and a pedestrian or other road user acts dangerously, you must sound your horn only to alert them of your presence. Sounding the horn in anger, often after the event has occurred is in fact illegal and can see a motorist fined."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 23:34 

weepej wrote:
Also as pointed out in the comments below the article (the driver clear sounded the horn in anger after the cyclist had pulled out and was in no danger of being hit by the car or hitting it):

Highway Code s112:

"Inappropriate use of the car horn is dangerous and can distract other drivers, potentially leading to accidents. It’s also important to consider other people's circumstances. ...Never sound your horn aggressively. Even if you are not at fault and a pedestrian or other road user acts dangerously, you must sound your horn only to alert them of your presence. Sounding the horn in anger, often after the event has occurred is in fact illegal and can see a motorist fined."

I think you're on thin ice taking "comments" as part of the factual account of what happened! A slightly different take on it would be the driver primarily concentrating on taking evasive action to protect the cyclist from the consequences of his own idiocy and only getting to the horn push a split second later!

What beggars belief is that the Muppet STILL hasn't a clue even afterwards:

"Mr Algar admitted that he should have signalled when overtaking. He said: "I should have signalled and I usually do, but this one time I was going at speed and just didn’t think."

(yeah signalling would have been nice, but looking at what's behind you might have been even better)!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 23:38 

weepej wrote:
And terrible hazard perception from driver; couldn't they foresee the pinch point coming up, and that the cyclist was going to move out because he was going faster than the guy in front?

Yes, clearly the driver's fault... again... :roll: I suppose by the same logic, cyclists should be able to foresee what happens when they ride up the inside of a large vehicle turning left too? ...or doesn't it work that way round?

weepej wrote:
And you shouldn't overtake at pinch points anyway.

That's true. The cyclist did pick a rather inappropriate place to overtake the other cyclist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 00:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
:violin: :dighole:
Says it all .
:violin:, as it's the same old- a wheelie version of animal farm.

:dighole: ,as cycle warriors should stop digging when in hole of own making .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:53 

Hopefully the pratt on the bike has learnt the following valuable lessons.
1) Don't overtake anything when the road narrows without making sure all behind is safe.
2) don't overtake anywhere without looking behind you.
3) don't overtake without checking behind you and signalling.
4) if you are going to be abusive to someone warning you of their presence and your stupidity, watch where you are going at the same time...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 07:02 
User

graball wrote:
Hopefully the pratt on the bike has learnt the following valuable lessons.
1) Don't overtake anything when the road narrows without making sure all behind is safe.
2) don't overtake anywhere without looking behind you.
3) don't overtake without checking behind you and signalling.
4) if you are going to be abusive to someone warning you of their presence and your stupidity, watch where you are going at the same time...;-)

All good advice, number four is on shaky ground though.

The motorist clearly wasn't using their horn as a warning of their presence.

If I was that motorist I would have noticed the differential speed between the two cyclists, and have expected the first one to pull out. I would have been hanging back, doubly so as we we're just entering a pinch point.

I would have only use my horn if it was clear the cyclist hadn't noticed me and was going to collide with me, not as a means of admonishing the cyclist after the event as that motorist did.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 15:17 

weepej wrote:
All good advice, number four is on shaky ground though.

The motorist clearly wasn't using their horn as a warning of their presence.

If I was that motorist I would have noticed the differential speed between the two cyclists, and have expected the first one to pull out. I would have been hanging back, doubly so as we we're just entering a pinch point.

I would have only use my horn if it was clear the cyclist hadn't noticed me and was going to collide with me, not as a means of admonishing the cyclist after the event as that motorist did.

...or at least, as YOU MAINTAIN he did! It's not shown in the video, you're making an assumption that it was done as an admonishment and that's your opinion, of course - to which you are entitled. My "opinion" happens to be different - which was that the motorist (quite sensibly) prioritised evading action over sounding the horn - which followed a split second later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 21:36 
User

I'm not so sure, the driver is way back, doesn't look to me like the cyclist could have possibly been about to collide with the vehicle.

I'm not defending the cyclist here by the way, he should have looked, and signalled, or slowed down.

At the same time the driver shouldn't be attempting to pass in a pinch point.

In fact both cyclists probably should have moved further out (only after looking behind them first and communicating there intentions) so it wasn't possible to have been overtaken in a pinch point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 23:10 

I'm not so sure. At the point the cyclist looks back, the car looks to be barely a car's length behind him. The cyclist with the webcam started to drift out to overtake the other cyclist a fair bit before that. I could pretty easily believe that by the time he looked back to investigate the source of the toot, the driver had already dabbed the brakes. I mean, just HOW near do you think the motorist would have to be before giving an audible warning?!

Also, I see the cycle lane (which the first cyclist seems to have no trouble staying within) continues to exist through the pinch point. Perhaps it should have had a solid white line at it's right hand edge leading up to the pinch point, suggesting that cyclists shouldn't overtake at that point?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 17:44 

The more I look at this the more I have to laugh at the guy.

He seems like an accident waiting to happen. Firstly he starts off at a right wobble like a five year old riding a bike for the first time, then even after 20 seconds he is travelling slow enough to be overtaken buy a guy freewheeling, then he seems to want to overtake that same guy to make an example of him and in doing so, is so obsessed with the overtaking manouvre that he totally puts caution way behind him.

Serves him right...hope he got some good scrapes and bruises from that.

I bet he drives a 4x4 just as badly too.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.