Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 00:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 08:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I can't decide what I think about an award for which one criterion is speed. Would this be acceptable for a car courier prize?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22589385

IMO, there are some good examples of potentially dangerous cycling in the video including one where he goes between two taxis which appear to be converging.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 09:02 
User

malcolmw wrote:

IMO, there are some good examples of potentially dangerous cycling in the video including one where he goes between two taxis which appear to be converging.

plural ? yet you only list one.
mind you the in & out of focus shots of traffic, image mixing and speeded up footage made me feel generally nauseous!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 02:42 
Site Admin

It's interesting ...
he admits to riding too fast for conditions, admits not allowing for another's possible manoeuvre (taxi just turned - can't have seen me!) although he can understand that he has a 'sixth sense' or Lizard Brain that does keep him safe (so far).
The thrill that he gets from 'going as fast as possible' is what happens and it fails to often (but not always) allow for the unexpected event.
It's perhaps a balance (for many cyclists) of making progress (to deliver as much as possible) and keeping safe and to try and allow for others.
Perhaps if he delivered only 15 items and went a bit more carefully he'd not feel so over-enthralled by the adrenalin rush, he'd then be able to talk with his wife when he got home, than feeling totally wiped out.

I agree the camera and product is the usual rubbish of 'arty production' for the sake of it to try and jazz up an otherwise boring film ! Frankly I'd rather just have the straight film and reality.
It tries to over produce a self employed persons life as if it is unique that always irritates me. There are 100,000's of self employed people who never 'take a holiday', nor get get sick pay there is nothing different about that so why try and sensationalise it ? However life insurance is generally possible for many self employed but not all !