Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 22:38 

Quote:
"We all go the same speed round here" I say when I catch them up, sometimes several times to the same person over a couple of miles!

Does that still get a laugh after the twentyth time?,,,;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 22:40 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
But (in the context of this thread) they don't make aggression in road users more or less forgiveable.

Well maybe not, but are you saying somebody who rides a cycle like an idiot is of the same order of irresponsibility as somebody who drives a car like an idiot?

I would say yes!
Car drivers are subjected to conditional entitlements, much greater enforcement and considerably broader and harsher penalties than cyclists, but it is still irresponsible to cycle like an idiot, because of their own risk of being run over (not just the risk of running others over).
The aggression is still as irresponsible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 22:40 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
Steve wrote:
Which could be simply a gear change?

People who use their brakes to slow down very quickly (i.e. when they are surprised) very often don't bother to change down at the same time which is why I described late gear changing, they slow sharply, too much, go to accelerate again, find themselves in the wrong gear, have to change down a gear.

A simple fallacy: A leads to B; B not necessarily led from A.
I've seen people regularly use gears I would consider 'too low', not out of late braking, but out of either trying to save fuel or just laziness. Your attributing this as a late gear change, then claiming that as harsh braking, are a wild assumptions based on more wild assumptions; hence is far more often wrong than right.

weepej wrote:
Steve wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, they were just simply just braking?

You can't tell the difference between harsh braking and a car being slowed in an orderly and organised manner? Oh dear.

On my bike, over my own breathing, when I have the wind rushing past my ears, over other traffic (more so when in London)?

I can distinguish tyres pushed to the verge of skidding against those not, but I have to say I never hear that so close behind me, even when I'm in the sticks!

Perhaps what you hear is simply the effect of braking around a corner, aggravated by mistracked wheels, or brake imbalance?

weepej wrote:
Steve wrote:
How do you compensate for the different gears and ratios?

You saying can't tell when a car or motorcycle is being driven "spiritedly" (I think "spiritedly" is the PC term on here for "like an idiot") even if you can't see it?

"motorcycle"? Your point is so desperately weak that, in a poor attempt to bolster it, you inadvertently introduced a factor that is irrelevant to your argument (no need for bikers to slow to matching speed as they can get around you - unless you are in the middle of the carriageway, tyre noise is not predominant [see below])
Again, please return the goalposts to where they were :roll:

Sooooo ... how do you compensate for the different gears and ratios? That was the question!

True story: about a month ago, I heard a car coming towards me in a manner I thought was spirited. I look around for a while but couldn't see any movement that fit that description. A few seconds later I realised it was a Maserati pootling past - laughingly slowly. It's far from the only example, but it stands out because I was so convinced.

weepej wrote:
Also when a car is moving fast tyre noise is predominate (presuming it's not drowned out by high revs).

How do you compensate for luxury models and different exhausts, and different tyres, and different tyre pressures?

weepej wrote:
Steve wrote:
Have you ever actually ridden into a hedge?

Nope, always ready to though and know people that have had to resort to this in cars and on cycles alike.

So even though you somehow always been ready, over your hundreds of miles of cycling every week for godknowshowlong, you never felt the need to abandon into a hedge even though you are adamant that 7/8 out of 10 drivers aren't able to stop in time? :scratchchin: and you hear an 'awful lot of sharp braking behind' you :scratchchin:

weepej wrote:
You brace yourself, plan a route that doesn't involve swerving round any defects in the road so you can ride in a perfectly straight line whilst the idiot passes you (possibly ready yourself to have to go straight across said defect, "go light" in your saddle, ready to bunny hop of necessary), possibly move to the left (because you should be riding in such a way to give yourself space to do this, but without getting too close to the kerb and giving yourself no space for contingency), get ready to slow down or stop, or even sometimes make yourself very wide to slow them.

I was going to say "all good stuff" until I read the last few words; that's extremely dangerous weepej!
If some idiot is supposedly closing up so fast that you feel the need to evade, or if they are just a "t**t", the very last thing you to is present yourself as an obstacle!

I still can't see how a lack of 'wit' could have resulted with you being knocked off for all the examples you gave. Do you always look behind you when a driver is on the phone, or exceeding the limit? (you might want to think about that for a moment)

Oh yes, you missed one:
weepej wrote:
That they've even had to use their brakes on a corner is telling.

Is it really? When do you expect a vehicle to slow when catching a comparatively slow cyclist - before the corner so leaving an unreasonable gap?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 18:16 
Life Member
Life Member

weepej wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
But (in the context of this thread) they don't make aggression in road users more or less forgiveable.

Well maybe not, but are you saying somebody who rides a cycle like an idiot is of the same order of irresponsibility as somebody who drives a car like an idiot?

Unequivocally, yes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 18:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnnytheboy wrote:
weepej wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:

Unequivocally, yes.
I think weepej is confusing irresponsibility with the level of destruction a vehicle can do, although I'm not sure that a cycle couldn't do just as much if the irresponsible cyclist causes a driver to swerve which causes a pile up and death/destruction etc....

Am I getting warm? ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 21:39 
Life Member
Life Member

That's a very dangerous track to go down, as it implies differing levels of responsibility for different road user types, whereas we should all be looking out for each other.

But we've down this path with weeps before, I doubt if he'll agree this time either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 08:48 
Supporter
Supporter

Johnnytheboy wrote:
That's a very dangerous track to go down, as it implies differing levels of responsibility for different road user types...But we've down this path with weeps before, I doubt if he'll agree this time either.

I hope not. To me it is self evident that one should a different level of responsibility from an adult car driver than from young pedestrian. And a higher level of responsibility again from a HGV or PSV driver. And higher again from a police traffic officer. Which is reflected in the difficulty of becoming qualified for each class.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 16:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I’m torn on this now if I’m honest and it could be that I’m the one getting confused.

If we liken the various means of transport to arms then maybe the man with the grenade, (HGV driver), should be more responsible than the man with the shotgun, (the car driver), who in turn should be more responsible than the man with the dagger, (the cyclist).
Maybe it's a poor analogy but I think I could be swayed either way here :bunker:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:16 
Life Member
Life Member

Big Tone wrote:
If we liken the various means of transport to arms then maybe the man with the grenade, (HGV driver), should be more responsible than the man with the shotgun, (the car driver), who in turn should be more responsible than the man with the dagger, (the cyclist).

What would that make the motorcyclist? :stirthepot:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:19 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
To me it is self evident that one should a different level of responsibility from an adult car driver than from young pedestrian.

What about a young car driver and an adult pedestrian then? :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:39 
Supporter
Supporter

Pete317 wrote:
What about a young car driver and an adult pedestrian then? :evil:

My real point is that ones responsibility should be proportional to the amount of damage one can cause to others.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 18:15 

Quote:
My real point is that ones responsibility should be proportional to the amount of damage one can cause to others.

That's ok so long as the ones with least damage potential, appreciate the damage potential of the others and show respesct to that effect. You wouldn't expect a man with a knife to taunt the guy with the hand greanade and risk his wrath would you?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 18:32 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:

A pedestrian can cause a lot of damage - by forcing an oncoming HGV to evade so risking an uncontrolled swerve!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 19:03 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:

And my point is that there's no room for irresponsibility on the roads - from any party.
It's the height of folly to assume that someone else has responsibility for one's safety, and therefore one can do what one likes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 19:33 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
That's a very dangerous track to go down, as it implies differing levels of responsibility for different road user types...But we've down this path with weeps before, I doubt if he'll agree this time either.

I hope not. To me it is self evident that one should a different level of responsibility from an adult car driver than from young pedestrian. And a higher level of responsibility again from a HGV or PSV driver. And higher again from a police traffic officer. Which is reflected in the difficulty of becoming qualified for each class.

I think you're confusing responsibility and skill.

By that rationale, as a mere car driver I need take less responsibility for my actions than a bus driver, and that by that rationale if I crash into a bus it's the bus driver's fault. Or is that not what you mean?

By responsibility I guess I mean that we should all aspire to be responsible for our safety and that of others. Clearly an eight year old can't be expected to be as good at cycling down the high street than an adult, but he or she should be taught to try to be as good. Is that fair?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 20:51 
Supporter
Supporter

Johnnytheboy wrote:
[I think you're confusing responsibility and skill. By that rationale, as a mere car driver I need take less responsibility for my actions than a bus driver, and that by that rationale if I crash into a bus it's the bus driver's fault. Or is that not what you mean?

No. That isn't what I mean. You are confusing responsibility with culpability. Fault should be appropriated to the one who's behaviour is errant.

Quote:
By responsibility I guess I mean that we should all aspire to be responsible for our safety and that of others.

Well, if you want to emulate Humpty Dumpty and redefine words to mean just what you want them to be ...

Quote:
Clearly an eight year old can't be expected to be as good at cycling down the high street than an adult, but he or she should be taught to try to be as good. Is that fair?

Quite fair but totally irrelevant to any argument about responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 07:24 
User

Steve wrote:
weepej wrote:
are you saying somebody who rides a cycle like an idiot is of the same order of irresponsibility as somebody who drives a car like an idiot?

I would say yes!

Seriously?

You think say a driver who get's in a car with no passengers after six pints and drives off is behaving as irresponsibly as a pilot who is equally inebriated and gets in a plane with 400 passengers and tries to take off?

That the two should be treated equally in the eyes of the law, receive the same punishments?

Last edited by weepej on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
[I think you're confusing responsibility and skill. By that rationale, as a mere car driver I need take less responsibility for my actions than a bus driver, and that by that rationale if I crash into a bus it's the bus driver's fault. Or is that not what you mean?

No. That isn't what I mean. You are confusing responsibility with culpability. Fault should be appropriated to the one who's behaviour is errant.

Ignoring the rest of your post, are you making a distinction between responsibility and culpability in this context? i.e. can one road user need to be more responsible but be less culpable than another road user (or vice versa)?

"Fault should be appropriated to the one who's behaviour is errant" seems to entirely chime with my belief that we should all be equally responsible on the road, and directly contradict weepej's idea of differential responsibility. No doubt you will educate me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
You think say a driver who get's in a car with no passengers after six pints and drives off is behaving as irresponsibly as a pilot who is equally inebriated and gets in a plane with 400 passengers and tries to take off?

That the two should be treated equally in the eyes of the law, receive the same punishments?
But they probably are treated the same in the eyes of the law. The difficulty, as with other examples, is that if you kill one person and get life in jail you may as well have killed a thousand or a million for all the difference it makes to the perpetrator..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 
Supporter
Supporter

Johnnytheboy wrote:
i.e. can one road user need to be more responsible but be less culpable than another road user (or vice versa)?

Yes. A bus driver has more responsibility than a pedestrian because he has 70 people under his care. But if the pedestrian throws himself under the wheels of the bus, giving the driver no chance to avoid him, then the pedestrian is more culpable than the driver.

Quote:
"Fault should be appropriated to the one who's behaviour is errant" seems to entirely chime with my belief that we should all be equally responsible on the road

No it doesn't Apportioning blame in the event of an accident is a separate issue to defining a road users responsibilities.

Quote:
directly contradict weepej's idea of differential responsibility. No doubt you will educate me.

I doubt it. But I will say that the logical consequence of eliminating the idea differential responsibility would be to do away with the current licence structure. If every one is deemed to be equally responsible then any one would be allowed to do anything from walking the pavement of driving a 40 ton artic loaded with explosives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next