PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 19:40 
User

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... cle_routes

MEN wrote:
]
City's most dangerous cycle routes
Exclusive: Fay Schlesinger
15/10/2008

THE most dangerous cycle routes in Manchester can be revealed today as new figures show cyclists are involved in nearly five crashes a week.

There have been more than 700 bike accidents on Manchester's roads in three years. Four people have been killed and 70 seriously injured.

I gather more have taken to bicycles though. I think the increase in use has led to more incidents. Not for any other reason other than "greater the volume - then statistically . we can increase likelihood of "problem".

Folk are, after all, "accident prone" :rolleyes:

But let's look a little more closely at the "danger routes" as alleged by the M.E.N

Quote:
Wilmslow Road, which runs from Manchester University to east Didsbury, is the most dangerous route for cyclists, with 66 reported accidents between 2005 and 2007.

As folk are aware - I trained at St Andrews for three glorious golf and :legorally: years for my B.Sc (Hons) in Medical Science and most St Andrews medics completed the "clinical /hospital" based studies at either Manchester or Dundee Unis. Most of us headed to Manchester by default. Now I know this area very well as a result. I had digs in Didsbury when I first moved down there to finish the final three years.

I had just bought the Stag and gone into serious debt at this stage :hehe: :shock: :shock: :roll: To make some ends meet .. I .. er CYCLED.

The road as I recall was just choked with bicycles and some really nasty old double decker buses .. plus the commuter cars from the affluent S Manchester 'burb of Cheadle Hulme/Bramhall/Poynton.

It was always busy and dangerous even back then.. in the early 80s. (I went up to St Andrews in the autumn of 1976 and moved to Manchester in the autumn of 1980).

And .. um.. yes. There were some nasty accidents and I recall just managing to avoid an "argument with a huge Ford Granada" once upon a time on a student bicycle. :roll:

Quote:
Oxford Road had 22 accidents - the highest number per mile. Barlow Moor Road and Stockport Road, also south of the city centre, saw 21 and 17 accidents each.

Again .. we are in the hub of cycling students on these roads. I had a pal who had digs on Barlow Moor Road. I have very fond student memories of Italian meals at an Italian restaurant on that road and one in the centre of Chorlton.

I suspect all these tragedies involve young students and perhaps lecturers. :roll: In the morning rush though .. I cannot think "speed" to be the cause.. These roads are congested and one of the reasons why some Manchester councillors are arguing for a congestion charge (which the majority public .. if press polls and letters to the press .. do NOT WANT).. but I will concede that the average speed on these roads at peak is no more than a 15 mph crawl in term times. Given these KSI stats I have to wonder if the Germans, per my wife's post in "NEWS", are very right in their worry that causes of accidents are a-changing from speed to pure "complacently led error" on the part of all.

I will allege, of course, that this HAS to do with the SPEED CAMS creating an attention to speed .. but scant attention to actual skills as road users. :wink:

I hope Edbrain, whom I note posted his thoughts to the MEN site , .. will put forth his opinion .. I think he will agree with some of what I opine. I know he will put forth an alternative point of view to some of my opinions. OK. Fine. I respect the chap .. We agree on some things.. we agree to disagree on others.

His input would be valid. would help meet halfway :wink:

Quote:
The number of bike crashes has dropped slightly, from 256 in 2005 to 223 last year. But the true figure is likely to be much higher as hundreds of accidents are thought to go unreported.

I fear many accidents of all sorts do. :roll:

Quote:
Select the link under the image on the right to see a full size view of the map.

Cycle campaigners described the figures as `shocking'.

Graeme Sherriff, Manchester transport campaigner for Friends of the Earth, said: "It's shocking to hear there is one accident every working day. It puts people off what is a brilliant and healthy activity."

I would argue that BIKEABILITY HELPS!

Cycling is NOT dangerous. But you have to be savvy .. and road and COAST wise :wink: I have to get the COAST into the post :wink: Under orders!

I happen to agree with COAST all the same. :wink:

Quote:
Figures show that south Manchester is the riskiest area for cyclists. Thousands of riders use the busy Oxford Road corridor due to the flat area and large student population. Crash victims are mainly men, aged between 16 and 59.

Who perhaps take silly risks :? :? :shock: :scratchchin:

Quote:

Mr Sherriff, 31, broke his arm in a cycling accident on Oxford Road three years ago. He appealed for motorists to look out for vulnerable cyclists and stick to speed limits.

Oh .. it's why we keep on saying COAST ad nauseam to some :roll: . If you use it .. you SEE a CYCLIST! and any other hazard.. which you risk assess and plan .. which means Space/Time creations. :popcorn:

Quote:
Dangerous

He said: "The Oxford Road corridor is perceived to be quite dangerous for cyclists because of the level of traffic on the road.

"Broken cycle paths that end abruptly at junctions can confuse people on bikes and in cars. The greatest risk is when cars turn left and go straight into a cyclist.

Oh the :censored: lanes on that road. Meeting a "target".

FFS :furious: Road users need naff lanes like they need a collision :roll:

Quote:
"There must be consistent cycle paths and greater enforcement of speed limits. Drivers need to check their blind spot on both sides of the car."

We keep on with COAST. O means looking in all the darned mirrors and over the shoulder. :roll: As for speed limits? Again.. under COAST .. the safest speed would be chosen for the condition. But as said... I know the roads to be a car park most of the time .. and the authorities must agree - else why are they saying it congested to to a crawl speed of 15 mph :scratchchin:

One thing laugh at the other here... :? :? :?

Quote:
The figures come as we reveal that Commonwealth Games medallist Emma Davies Jones has had to quit professional cycling three years after being knocked off her bike in Manchester.

Then aged 27, she was millimetres from paralysis after the accident on a marked cycle path, on Pottery Lane, in West Gorton.

She said: "This is about responsible drivers more than cycle paths. I've experienced people driving erratically or coming close behind me and leaning out of the window to scream in my ear. It sends out the wrong message if motorists can get away with causing accidents.

"But cyclists need to take care too. Jumping traffic lights is not acceptable."

I am so sorry to hear this. I have a soft spot for Emma. I admire her absolutely :bow:

Quote:

Manchester council spokesman Coun Richard Cowell said schemes including raised and contraflow cycle paths would encourage cycling and reduce accidents.

He said: "There is a strong focus on the Wilmslow Road/Oxford Road corridor as this route has both the highest flow of cyclists in Greater Manchester and also the highest number of cycling casualties."

Online cycle journey planners will be launched by all Greater Manchester councils next year.

Paper cycling maps are available and should go online by January.

How about funds for Bikeability? Cyclists do not want paths. They want to be part of traffic.. but need the proper updated training to do so in all reality. :roll:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 23:51 
Supporter
Supporter

The corridor from the Uni down through Fallowfield to Didsbury was a "dangerous" area for cyclist back in the sixties when I was there. But these figures seem to based on total number of incidents. I suspect that if the figures were calculated on the accidents per thousand vehicle miles basis they would not be anywhere near as alarming.

As for cycle paths. They encourage an alarming degree of complacency on the part of inexperienced cyclists who often seem to think that the normal rules of the road are suspended on cycle tracks. In over fifty years of cycling I have only had two accidents, both on cycle tracks - one a cyclist not observing the lanes, another a pedestrian who couldn't tell the difference between a cycle track and a pavement. Also cycle paths invariably marginalize the cyclist making them give way at every side road and even telling them to dismount at many junctions. I generally feel much safer mixing it with cars on the main carriageway as their movements are very predicatable.

Profile Send private message