Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Four months for ticket?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 09:35 
New User
New User

I've just been told that I was zapped by a mobile camera...4 months ago...is there a time limit on being issued with a ticket or can they take as long as they like?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 09:38 
User

According to the latest regulations they can take up to 6 months. (mine's up next weekend...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 09:53 
Site Admin

wyattnorm wrote:
I've just been told that I was zapped by a mobile camera...4 months ago...is there a time limit on being issued with a ticket or can they take as long as they like?

If you're the registered keeper, it's dead.

If you're not the registered keeper you might be able to kill it. Here's how. There's a six month limit from date of offence for laying papers with the court. You have a monthish to reply to the NIP, a few days for the FPN to be issued and 28 days to NOT pay it. If that adds up to over six months it'll die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 09:54 

If you aren't stopped at the time (eg you were nicked by a camera) then they must send a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) to the Registered Keeper within 14 days of the alleged offence. If they don't meet this timescale then you have an absolute defence, unless the DVLA records are out of date (eg due to a change of address) in which case they must issue it as soon as is reasonably practicable.

Note that if the Registered Keeper isn't you (eg hire car, lease car, borrowed car etc) then they may have complied with this deadline without you being aware of it. In this instance the Registered Keeper notifies who they think is the driver and then they receive their own copy.

There are two other deadlines. One is that if the case is going to court then they have to "lay an information" with the court within six months of the alleged offence, and secondly that they must hear the case within 2 years (under EU Law).

You need to post some more specific details, as to exactly what paperwork has been received, by whom, and when. Don't post anything that reveals who you are though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 09:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you are the registered keeper then they must present the Notice of Intention to Prosecute (NIP) within 14 days and this must be sent 1st class or better. If you are not the registered keeper then they can take longer.

The case must be presented to the court within six months. I would suggest you pop over to www.pepipoo.com and read the “Read this first” bit.

Cheers

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 13:31 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

If you are indeed the registered keeper, be sure to keep the envelope as the datestamp on it may provide evidence backing your claim that it has timed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 18:39 

Does it say how fast? need to check if you are in Fixed penalty teritory.

if you are not the registered keeper and the speed is not that high take the maximum time to respond and ignore the FP offer. The NIP is a month + the FPO is another month - they may send you a reminder = out of time for a summons.

I don't think I'd have a clue who was driving any of my vehicles 4 months ago. I doubt you can either beyond any doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 19:36 
Life Member
Life Member

diy wrote:
I don't think I'd have a clue who was driving any of my vehicles 4 months ago. I doubt you can either beyond any doubt.

Indeed, and asking for photographs to help identify the driver may be prudent.