Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new guy question?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 23:03 
New User
New User

hi all new lad here im a lorry driver and recently went threw a red light camera traffic light with a 45 foot tri axle trailer as it turn amber and when i say this i mean i actually slowed to around 10-15mph anticipating it to change but it never did i was pretty much physically on the stop line before it changed from green to amber however im pretty sure i got flashed still. now ive researched it and had mixed info half say i need my full artic threw or its a ticket i find this very extreme with a 45foot trailer and other say as long as the front of my unit is well threw which it defo will of been then i will still recieve a flash from the trailer wheels but the police wont take action when they look at the photo and see the circumstances, also if i have got caught how long will it take for me to recieve the nip as it was obviously a company vehicle. cheers

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: new guy question?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 09:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think I’m right in saying they’re all forward facing; at least the ones I see are. So, if I’m right, it’s all about where your 'nose' is across the lights. It would be very unreasonable, to say the least, if it monitored when your rear end went across. Every PSV & HGV would be done at some point sooner or later if that was the case.

I have found them to be pretty good in that I have pulled up, thinking I may get done, and vehicles have past me over the lights without being flashed. In other words they are very lenient and in my experience if you do get flashed you have literally got to be going over both sets of lights on red; which is a very good piece of enforcement IMO. (Not often I agree with ‘dumb’ automatically-activated traffic furniture :D ).

There’s a few ‘maybe’s’ and ‘I think’s’ there, (I should have been a weather forecaster), but the bottom line is did you, in all honesty, go through both sets of lights on red? If you can say, hand on heart, that you didn’t you should be okay I would have thought - and in my experience. If you did go over both sets on red then you are "a very naughty boy” and could have caused an accident. Going over red lights is a serious offence and your insurance will likely double, as well as the obligatory points of course.

:welcome: Big Cheese

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 20:06 
New User
New User

thanks for reply however this was defo arear facing camera but i was defo hand on heart well well threw at amber i would guess if it had got a picture it`d be last few feet of trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 14:59 
User

I always wondered how they worked for buses and HGVs with long trailers. As Tone says, they are have quite a big tolerance. i too have witnessed people doing a last minute dash and going through a red while I have stopped and whenever I have looked up to the camera I have never seen it flash.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 16:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Big Tone wrote:
I think I’m right in saying they’re all forward facing; at least the ones I see are. So, if I’m right, it’s all about where your 'nose' is across the lights. It would be very unreasonable, to say the least, if it monitored when your rear end went across. Every PSV & HGV would be done at some point sooner or later if that was the case.

:welcome: Big Cheese

Ones I know off ,Brum airport/Land Rover area : Bedworth :Balsall Common : Coventry ---all photograph from rear .In fact can't say I've ever seen a forwar facing one ( if by that it means taking photo of driver)Might be in Big CHeese favour ,as from memory his trailor rear end would be before the camera( can't remember how far back from lights camera is ).Problem is that (again from memory) the tractor unit wil have a plate ,and there is possibly firms name on the side of the trailor .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 17:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Okay, I’m really confused now. :?

If a 40 tonne HGV at 50’ long gets close to a light just turning from green to amber and to stop would possibly cause an accident, (definition AFAIR from the HC), then this is how I see it:

He hits the 1st set from the front of the vehicle going from amber onto red. (photo of reg plate if on red), but the rear goes over on red across the 1st set as indeed it will over the 2nd set of lights. I don’t see how operating it from the back would ever possibly work. :? I don't buy it.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 18:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tone -tried to get photo from Google streetmap of one I know ,but laptop is too pov spec to do it in any sort of time .Don't think they thought of 40-50 ft artics when putting in red light cameras-from memory the distance from the camera on the nearside as you pass it might be OK for a car/van but not enough to get an HGV .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 20:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The time of a 100 meter race measures what’s going on at the front of me, (head/chest), not the back. They don't start me off looking at the front end and stop the clock when the back of my arse reaches the finish line.

And I'm only 6' 2"; imagine if I was 50 foot long...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 22:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tone -can't post photo at moment ,but if you do a google street map /street view on Ansty road coventry ,cv2 at the junction of Sewal Highway (it's accross road from Wyken Pippen pub which comes up in a google so post code should come up), on the Coventry side ,just outside BP station you'll see a red light camera ,on the pavement ,approx van length from lights ,pointing toward lights .If you can see it -you'll se why I have doubts that it would get an HGV .All I've seen are similarly placed.Ed m might know the place .Then there's Park road ,Bedworth ,A45 at B/HAM AIRPORT , Balsal Common .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 00:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Didn't know you knew my patch so well Dave. I'll check it out when I'm next over that way ta. :)

I know the A4114 very well; quite a few people I know well over there on that side of Coventry :( And Stoke, and Oswestry, and Hereford, Rugby, Colwyn Bay...

I do lots of miles each year, (very safely each and every year, year after year). Job aside, that's why I have a strong opinion on road matters, road safety and KSI.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 01:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:
Didn't know you knew my patch so well Dave. I'll check it out when I'm next over that way ta. :)

I know the A4114 very well; quite a few people I know well over there on that side of Coventry :( And Stoke, and Oswestry, and Hereford, Rugby, Colwyn Bay...

I do lots of miles each year, (very safely each and every year, year after year). Job aside, that's why I have a strong opinion on road matters, road safety and KSI.

Same reason for my views on road safety , except I use to do approx 82k per year- reckon I've got approx 2million under my belt now -with insurance shwing 9+(more like 20+) but after 9,they stop counting . 45 years on road now .Midlands - know it well ,fro Nottingham/Brum areas to Reditch .Hereford - another place I know .Rugby - worked there for last ten years .Colwyn bay -not somewhere I know, but again there's always Kings Lyn/Peterboro /an the Broads/the Fens ............................

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

botach wrote:
Same reason for my views on road safety , except I use to do approx 82k per year- reckon I've got approx 2million under my belt now -with insurance shwing 9+(more like 20+) but after 9,they stop counting . 45 years on road now .
Ok, now you're just showing off :wink: :lol: 82K a year! When did you ever see your wife? :P

Say Big Cheese, it's been about two weeks now. If you're still here somewhere, lets us know will ya? If you haven't heard anything by now it's looks like you're in the clear :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 20:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Had a good look at one today -top of Allard way( near Binley fire station) .The camera isinthe reservation ,pointing most definately at the traffic going past .Got achance to guestimatehowfar back it is -approx two normal singer deckerbus lengths