Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 17:43 
New User
New User

got court doing 52 in a 30 on a dual carrageway and got to go court...i got court just under my 2 years has anybody got any advice for me to not get banned because i need my license for my job :(

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 21:23 
User

If you do not have any points on your licence and you were speeding then your best chance is to admit and try for a fixed penalty and hope for an understanding court.

If you have points then there is not much chance

PM me if you want more info

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 03:17 
User

Where is the dual carriageway?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 06:41 
Site Admin

:welcome: joldrid

joldrid wrote:
got court doing 52 in a 30 on a dual carrageway and got to go court...i got court just under my 2 years has anybody got any advice for me to not get banned because i need my license for my job :(

I take it that you mean that you are within your first 2 yrs of driving. Sorry to hear of your troubles you must be very concerned.

(I am not a lawyer and cannot advise you. I would always suggest that you seek proper legal advice. You may also find that by calling a few solicitors some are more helpful than others. There is provision of some basic info on their websites, or may be willing to talk to you briefly without charge, or only charge if you employ them.)
It maybe possible for you to plead an 'exceptional hardship' case, if you can show that were you to lose your license, you would lose your job and so be unable to provide (food / basics) for you & others / your family, then you might have a case. Seek proper advice.

For the Highway Code Penalty Point reference see here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069870
and for Endorsements & Disqualifications here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022550
and The New Driver Act here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Le ... DG_4022566
Some good advice here from Driving Ban and 2pass here, may help you too.
Taking the PassPlus may help you in th elonger term but not necessarily directly for this incident ... here.
Mary Monson Solicitors will provide a Free Consultation - Freephone 0808 1394880 here. Exception Hardship sample here.
Motoring Lawyers will help for £40 over the phone here.

If in Scotland these chaps might be able to assist : here.
The ACPO Speed Limit enforcement guidelines here : http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/faq.html#ACPO or here directly.
I found this on Pepipoo (most useful site) :
PePiPoo wrote:
New drivers
Drivers who incur 6 points or more during the 2 year probationary period after passing the driving test will have their licence revoked automatically by the Secretary of State; they will be able to drive only after application for a provisional licence pending the passing of a further test.
An offender liable for an endorsement which will cause the licence to be revoked under the new drivers' provisions may ask the court to disqualify rather than impose points. This will avoid the requirement to take a further test. Generally, this would be inappropriate since it would circumvent the clear intention of Parliament.

Also they provide this for a quick check : here : Magistrates' Guidelines for Speeding Offences
(Sentences Guidelines - here)

Your insurance will likely see an increase in cost afterwards - these chaps have some data here.

You can look at signage and see if the road holds a valid Road Traffic Act Order for that speed on that section of roadway but this is a complex issue and often requires an expert (Richard Bentley) to assess this fully to proceed and especially if you are to defend this in a Court. Have you been supplied with 2 photographs ? If not, you are entitled to ask for them and then we can make some assessments from that. If you can obtain the video evidence (if they have used a mobile speed camera van), then we can probably assess your speed from this too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 14:38 
User

You may not lose your licence. You may only get 4 or 5 points. They may even give you three. However you could end up losing your licence. Is this your first offence?

My fingers are crossed for you.