Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 15:56 
User

I just got a NIP for doing 38 in a 30MPH area (was until recently 50MPH) but I'm sure it was my sister who was driving at the time while on a short holiday here last week. She lives in Finland, has an EU driving licence, but is listed as a named driver on the insurance policy.

If I say it was my sister who was driving, what is likely to happen? I'm pretty sure it was a Gatso that caught her although the area sometimes has camera vans too just waiting to get a few drivers who are a bit too eager to approach a 50MPH area.

EDIT 18:30: Spoke to my sister and it was a camera van that got her, just before the limit changes back to 50MPH and after the Gatso. She saw it just as she was accelerating to the 50 limit. Oops.

It looks like there may be the option to take a speed awareness course, but I'm guessing this is for UK licence holders only.

My sister wants to visit again in a couple of months time and wouldn't want any complications. Will she have to go to court?

So I've finally got to see what a NIP looked like. :o

Edit: Just to add - I'm not looking to dodge any fines, I may not agree with the new limit, but that's not the point. Just want to get this sorted out as painlessly as possible and ideally without points if possible.

Last edited by -roger- on Fri Jul 15, 2011 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 18:34 
Supporter
Supporter

If you are sure that your Sister was driving then you must tell the police that that is so. Not to do so would make you guilty of conspiring to obstruct the course of justice which is an offence for which you could be sent to prison.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 18:37 
User

Sorry, I think you posted just as I edited to add that I checked with my sister and she was driving. No doubt about it now. I will put her as the driver but curious as to what will happen next.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 01:29 
Site Admin

:welcome: -roger-

Sorry to hear that you have received a NIP.
(I am not a lawyer and cannot advise you.)

You can ask for the photo evidence to try to be sure. The Court expects people who share use of a vehicle to do all that they can to try to find out who may have been driving.
However since you are now sure that she was driving then that should take care of it.
I must say I do not know if other EU Country citizens can attend a Speed Awareness Course. If she was a British citizen that may change it but do keep us informed of developments.
Certainly more has been agreed within the EU to penalise across borders !
Accepting the fine maybe her only option, or sensible option, if she is not to revisit the UK anytime soon. But is she truly liable to pay ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 20:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Possible other question ,is whether she has a UK licence ,or could have been driving on a Finland licence ,with a Finland address .In latter case ,suspect it's too muck trouble for SCP to go to an case might get dropped ( this is personal opinion -for accurate assessment ,go to pepipoo ) ( wait for ye old mariner to drop in with his pit boots on )
One other bit of advice - keep identifiable content to minimum - SCP trolls keep watch on topics like this :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 17:47 
User

-roger- wrote:
Sorry, I think you posted just as I edited to add that I checked with my sister and she was driving. No doubt about it now. I will put her as the driver but curious as to what will happen next.

She will get her own notice to identify the driver. I think the post works between UK and Finland.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 19:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
botach wrote:
( wait for ye old mariner to drop in with his pit boots on )
One other bit of advice - keep identifiable content to minimum - SCP trolls keep watch on topics like this :shock:

AH he's surfaced .Come pon GS -99% OF THE TIME IT costs too much(I.E THERE'S NO PROFIT IN IT) to chase foreign licenced drivers .i would have thought that ,living in Finland ,she'd have swapped her UK one for a Finnish one ,over which ( as you know full well)
uk law has no jurisdiction at present .