Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 08:06 
New User
New User

I have just received a ticket for travelling at 36 mph in a 30 mph limit at 5.30 am.
Is there any point in contesting this? Am I right that the allowed leeway is 10% +2 mph i.e. 35 mph and are guns accurate to 3% ? Anyone's thoughts would be much appreciated Tim Hill

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 00:22 
Site Admin

:welcome: timhill
Sorry to hear that you have received a NIP.
[I am not a lawyer & so cannot advise you - do obtain proper legal advice]
http://www.pepipoo.com and their forums may help .... as there are various legal people there (not all).
Fighting a case needs to take into consideration (and research) many aspects that need to be checked like signage, layout, road speed Traffic Orders (and precision as to whether the precise section of Law is applied correctly), all equipment (certification, etc.) issues ... then there are legal procedures (e.g. processes of the equipment operation or even distance covered of of speeding allegation).
Yes 10%+2. So 36 is a 'valid' NIP. Some areas may offer you the opportunity of a 'speed awareness' course, but this option is only available once in 3 yrs.
At what location did this happen ? Occasionally there are reasons why many have seen refunds of fines and points due to errors by the Safety Camera Partnership.
There are errors that the LTI has but for the sake of can it read and get it right - yes if all is carried out right, no if not, although there are some question-marks over other issues.... but others here can get into detail with you on this.

Profile Send private message