Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NIP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 17:28 
New User
New User

My son was flashed in a camera on 22 Oct & we have not received a NIP (14 days) . The car is registered in his name & he has the documents back stating he is the registered keeper from 21 Sept. Would his details have been shown correct at DVLA & therefore he might not be getting one?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: NIP
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 06:58 
Site Admin

Once he has the details back from the DVLA there is no reason to assume that they have not updated their files.
If 14 days have passed and the car is a privately owned vehicle as you suggest then it does sound like you could be passed the necessary 'time' dates for a NIP.
Depending on the camera set up - there may not have been film in the camera unit, if a 'film' unit then there used to be a single flash as a warning as it needed two flashes, or the unit may have malfunctioned. In bad weather it is hard for them to ID the car and so any alleged offence may go unchallenged. Many units are out of use (some can still flash) and some are being upgraded to digital.
Gatso cameras in some areas no longer work, of course and some don't have any equipment in either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 19:05 
New User
New User

Wait & see I suppose. He wouldn't have been over the limit if some mindless moron hadn't been pushing him & driving on his tail so much that he felt intimidated. Unfortunately there was nowhere for him to pull over hence trying to get out of the other drivers way.It was a Gatso & there was one flash not two & it was raining heavily ,so we live in hope.
Thanks for your reply. :scratchchin:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 19:25 
Site Admin

When 'intimidated' by another driver it is typically better to go slower than faster.
I can appreciate that some road conditions can make it extremely difficult to let another pass but there is usually somewhere that is easier to pull into when you go slower too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 19:41 
New User
New User

That's exactly what we told him but then that's experience talking, we told him that the driver would not have driven into the back of him. I don't think new drivers get this when they are learning as people are more reticent to harass a driving school car.
He had been responsible & done a plus pass course on his own volition & done extra practice on the motorway. His first time though he was harassed by a large Tesco wagon which we actually witnessed as we were following him as it was his first time down the M6. Although he coped with it admirably I think the incident the other night brought it all back to him.
Hopefully he will take heed from this lesson take on board what we have told him ,as I think he is generally a good driver for his limited experience.
Incidentally he is insured by I-kube which enforces a 11pm - 5am curfew specially for young drivers enforced by having a tracker fitted. I would recommend having a look at it to all parents wanting to insure their offspring.