Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 06:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 13:00 
New User
New User

hi, i have already been prosecuted and fined for speeding on 2 seperate occasions. however, i have been looking at the documentation and the courts, police etc have spelled my surname wrong. i have heard of loopholes in the law whereby if all information is not correct then you can dispute these court actions/prosecutions on a technicality. is it possible for me to appeal on these grounds??????? can anyone please shed some light on this matter, i.e if the case has already been seen in court can i appeal because of this error?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 13:05 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

If you haven't already, I would advise asking the same question on http://www.PePiPoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 15:25 
Magistrate
Magistrate

If you entered guilty pleas to the offences then you have accepted that it was you.
If you entered not guilty pleas and they went to trial, then you had the opportunity to raise the point at trial. If you didn't do so, its too late now.

In any event, this sort of thing is covered by something often called the slip rule which allows minor typographical errors to be corrected.

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 07:59 
User

First :welcome: und sorry if replies are not as you might have been hoping to hear.

As "fisherman" say - if you plead guilty - then you cannot then turn around some ime later und plead innocence. :roll:

This was verified by something Nick Loophole Freeman say on Radio interview. (Was the case of the lorry driver who had removed a Handy phone from his jacket.. (swtiched off) und chucked on dash. This was because he felt his seatbelt dig against phone in pocket. Police overtaking saw this und gave FPN. He spent two years in und out of court before desperation und spiralling cost make himplead guilty und just close off the case.) Even in this scenario - per Freeman . he had no redress for appeal . Had he pleaded innocent und then been found guilty though - Freeman was prepared to appeal the verdict on a point of law. FOR NO FEE! AS TEST CASE!

Thus .. if there ist a "point of law" or new evidence which suggest an "unsound conviction" - then it appear you can appeal a conviction. It happen all the time with very high profile und extremely SERIOUS cases as we've all read in press (the innocent cot baby tragedy mamas/Birmingham Six/Stefan Kizsko/Bakewell boy etc...all overturned because of new evidence/SERIOUS flaws in original trials on points of law) But these were very different matters from a fairly trivial speeding matter by comparison. :roll:

BUT error of typo .. (as example I choose 2 names which often get mistyped in my opinion - und I choose the silly address to make you smile - I hope :hehe: ) if your name ist Mr Lesley Johnson of 64 Green Pea Lane und they spell your name as Mr Leslie Johnstone of 66 Greene Pee Layne - then I do not think you could appeal on such as these would be "clerical errors" or the "slip" which fisherman rightly point out. If they got the name completely wrong und the person was Mr Jones - then I think my fictional accused in this post might might have noticed this at the time :wink: .

PS . I always spell like this.... :roll: I am rubbish at English.. :(
But fear not .. read IG's COAST post und the rest of the site - especially safespeed's version of the Highway Code :bow: .. und you may find you keep rest of licence quite bit safer from NIP :wink:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!