The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: thoughts please
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 23:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
As said - trying to calm down younger daughter - she got in range of a scamvan last week in company car .According to her ,speedo showed 35 and she's a bit worried .My advice was that at 35 on speedo her speed was at max 33, and with ACPO guidelines at 10%+2 ,she was clear .
Worst case scenario I could see was brainwash course .
Now how she didn't see it earlier -that's question ,as she's a biker .But now a mum to be ,and getting a bit worried .I've said - nowt to worry about - any other opinions(or onions ) .

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: thoughts please
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 00:56 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear this.

Many Scamvans are 'hiding' somewhat - was this why she missed it from an earlier 'scan' ?

It is sad that a numeric value can cause such upset, concern, and paranoia ! :(

She does of course have the 15 day time frame for them to land the NIP at her door, and if nothing arrives, a sure way of knowing then, that she is in the clear ! Terrible state of affairs !
Sadly as a fellow motorbiker (well a bit) it cannot save you, no matter how observant you can be. A genuine road hazard might rightly take your attention and then miss a distant (perhaps non-hazard) looking van in the distance, which when re-obs takes place, might then become an obvious potential nightmare for your license.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 22:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sadly the time frame is irrelevant in this case as company vehicle .What does bother her is that the admin staff are totally inefficient and the NIP could well get lost in the office -one point for those better versed to advise on .
Second one -and as said -my opinion is that if she's noted 35 on speedo - ( and quite honestly though she does crack on a bit in NSL ,I've noted she is a bit restrained in lower limits ) -which is dead on the ACPO guidelines if the speedo is 100% accurate ,which we all know it's not .So my opinion is that unless the heat is now on for Speed awareness courses -she won't hear any more .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 20:45 
Magistrate
Magistrate

Any NIP has to get to the registered keeper within the allowed time. If it arrives late at the firm she needs to make sure they tell the SCP when they send it back. If the office do lose the NIP it shouldn't bother her. Its their problem if they don't return it and any problems are theirs to solve. If they do send it back naming her then at least she knows what is going on.

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 00:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks-fisherman - the bit about not arriving at office is nice to hear -always thought that once it was not a personally registered vehicle -then no time limit . Will pass that on, and suggest that if she does hear anything ,then she gets dates etc .The other nice thing you said was that if it gets lost in office ( won't be on purpose ,but as I said due to the casual attitude they take to vehicle admin ) it's not down to her .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 21:46 
User

Asked Willi (Wildy's cousin in Lancs) about this. He's an accountant and fairly conversant on company cars/leased cars.

According to Willi (forensic accountant with a blue chip practice) .. NIP goes to the lease hire company within the 14 days.

They reply more or less on receipt of the NIP and charge the leaser an admin fee of £15-£20 dependent on the terms of the lease agreement.

The new NIP to the firm is issued within the next 14 days. The company secretary or other officer has to respond and nominate their employee as the driver. This then gets issued within 14 days of this receipt according to Willi and our Ambulance guys when I ask them about it all. The experience tallies with the guys who work at the same place as Wildy and which guys attended that SAC course :roll:

It's why the cams do not work of course. The long winded rigamarole makes it difficult for the accused to recall 100% nor even realise they missed a vital sign?

Police do the job a lot better... or rather police like IG and Stephen and IanH :clap: I know there are a handful of plod who cannot hold a candle to this trio..but that type post hot farts on the internet but we all know there's no solids to investigate :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 08:41 
Magistrate
Magistrate

Lots of mentions of 14 day periods there. The only time 14 days has any relevance is with regard to delivery of the first NIP. After that the only limit is that prosecution must commence within 6 months of the date of alleged offence.

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 19:58 

If the company do get a NIP, it would be in your best interests if they were to reply as late as they can. I believe they have 28 days from the date of issue, or something like that.
If she has signed a contract saying she'll pay an "admin fee" I'd be asking for next day delivery as late as possible!