Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 22:53 
New User
New User

Hi community,

I was travelling up the M1 northbound and came back along the southbound on Friday night between Junctions 32-31 and noticed roadworks were taking place, with a temporary 50M.P.H speed limit and a sign saying average speed camera's in operation.I've read a lot about these SPECS cameras and was doing 55M.P.H tops (shown on my speedo) just wondered if
a) These cameras are still operational (it was dark and i didnt know about these cameras,so didnt look)
b) If 55 M.P.H would be picked up on these cameras?

Thanks in advance

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 00:17 
User

:welcome:
Community? They'll be charging us council tax next!!

I dont think 55mph on your speedo will be a true 55mph, and if the cameras are being operated to ACPO guidelines, then prosecution would begin at 10%+2mph = 57mph.

However, they ARE only guidelines, and have been known to be ignored in some areas (e.g.North Wales).

Fingers crossed - you'll know for certain in the next 14 days.
Meanwhile hang around the site, ask some more questions if you have them, and read up on some of the helpful tips and advice.

Check out In Gear's COASTpost, and memorise it for future use.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3774
Abbreviated here:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 
New User
New User

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it's sort of put my mind at ease!The reason i ask and am worried is i still fall under the new drivers act i think its called,where if i acrude 6points within the first two years my license gets revoked?Well as you can probably appreciate if i did roughly the same speed going northbound as i did southbound and the tolerance isn't all that high,bye bye license for me. I know speed limits are there for a reason and it was wrong of me to be doing 55mph~ in a 50,with people having to work etc etc.Seven days to wait,boy will this give me hell,lol. I'll let you know what happens,if anything, and if anybody does know if these cameras are still hooked up,or have been taken down it would be great if you could let me know.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 23:43 
New User
New User

Hello again,

I took you up on your offer to ask more questions.I wondered if there are any sites out there that might have a list of cameras along the M1,that are up to date? What would these SPECS look like? I dont know the M1 at all and this was the first and probably last time i'll be going up it.Does anyone on here travel the M1 past junction 32/31 (Aston to Thurcroft according to TomTom) often and seen these SPECS cameras recently?I can't remember seeing any cameras resembling those on google images (when i typed SPECS), but like i said i didnt know what to look for then.If these two NIP's come through the post whats my best course of action? As i'm still under the new drivers act i would get £120 fine and 6 points,court appearance and license revoked?Is this 'if a NIP doesn't arrive at your door within 14 days of the offence' true or is it a technicality not worth exploring?I've read alot of contradicting stories on it.

Any information would be appreciated
Thanks peeps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:26 
Life Member
Life Member

pepipoo are probably better at really techy questions than us...

If it's any reassurance, I rattled through the M27 :50: specs for a year at a target speedo reading of 55, and didn't get done, so I think you'll be ok. You'd have to maintain a real 57 average, so probs speedo 60 average to get done.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:00 
User

J***** wrote:
Hello again,

I took you up on your offer to ask more questions.I wondered if there are any sites out there that might have a list of cameras along the M1,that are up to date? What would these SPECS look like? I dont know the M1 at all and this was the first and probably last time i'll be going up it.Does anyone on here travel the M1 past junction 32/31 (Aston to Thurcroft according to TomTom) often and seen these SPECS cameras recently?I can't remember seeing any cameras resembling those on google images (when i typed SPECS), but like i said i didnt know what to look for then.If these two NIP's come through the post whats my best course of action? As i'm still under the new drivers act i would get £120 fine and 6 points,court appearance and license revoked?Is this 'if a NIP doesn't arrive at your door within 14 days of the offence' true or is it a technicality not worth exploring?I've read alot of contradicting stories on it.

Any information would be appreciated
Thanks peeps

I assume you did not get a NIP after all,

SPECS are fairly high up .. on a yellow pole.

If you did receive anything - then first thing to do would be resit the L-Tes asap. Then invest in a pogo or something as these will bleep for all known sites on their database (usually very accurate. DVLA could learn lots from origin :bow:)

Hope everything worked out for you. Also - think about IAM training. It could help helps develop your skills as constant. :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.