Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 17:15 
New User
New User

Hi, I've received an NIP for 65mph in a 50 limit. No excuses I know, but it was an empty, completely straight, barriered dual carriageway in broad daylight, with no history of accidents or anywhere near a built up area etc.

My question is are there any rules that must be adhered to for siting fixed gatso cameras?

Thanks

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 17:32 
Site Admin

petert222 wrote:
Hi, I've received an NIP for 65mph in a 50 limit. No excuses I know, but it was an empty, completely straight, barriered dual carriageway in broad daylight, with no history of accidents or anywhere near a built up area etc.

My question is are there any rules that must be adhered to for siting fixed gatso cameras?

Thanks

I know it isn't going to help, but the rules for placing fixed speed cameras insist that they are placed where it is safe to speed. I kid you not. http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rules.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 18:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

petert222 wrote:

There sort of used to be criteria for site selection e.g. 4 or more KSIs (killed or seriously injured) in a given stretch of road within the previous three years (although some effort that was allowed to be expended outside of these core sites). These 'rules' were dispensed with as of April 07, now the old rules have become mere recommendations. So to answer your question: not any more.

The camera partnerships continue to follow these guidelines because they make the cameras appear much more effective than they actually are.
The link below will explain why, it is worth a read.
RTTM

The placement of many other cameras, as you have found out, are simply cash cows!