Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Have I been caught???
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 22:34 
User

I was driving to South to Middlewhich, Cheshire tonight to get onto the M6. Overtook some slowgeezer and then on my right a mobile speed van :shock: but it was pointing backwards :wink: ie I was driving towards the front of the speed van. So braked and couldn't have got me going away but do they have cameras facing forward in the larger type vans??? It was a very large van and the front windscreen was tinted. Went back to have a look. Bloke sitting in front looking bored. If I was doing more than 68 would they have got me from the front??? I had slowed to 60 by the time I passed the van. You lot must know... please end this suspense!!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 23:01 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Radar is not allowed to be used from within a vehicle.
Lidar (laser speedmeters, these are the tool of choice for a mobile scammer) are not allowed to be used through glass.
You should be 'safe' if there was nothing on the outside of the vehicle or on the road next to it.

PS, front windscreens (and forward side windows) can’t be tinted lower than 75% (IIRC) transmission (25% absorption)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 20:28 
User

Phew what a relief. thanks Smeggy. Whilst you're on, I have heard that if you do get a NIP you can write back stating you were not the driver, then ask for a copy of the photo to help you identify the driver. When they respond with "it is not possible becasue this the camera took it from the rear" or "it is not possible to see the driver". Then you send another letter saying the RTAct sectoin blah blah etc makes it clear that the owner and keeper either must be able to provide driver details OR must take all reasonable steps to identify the driver.

So you say I have a list of drivers (giving say 5 names and addresses) and have asked them who was driving but to no avail. So I have discharged my duty uinder the law. It is not possible therefore to identify the driver and therefore I trust this matter can be settled out of court. Apparently if you do this they send a long letter back which at the end says we will not be taking this matter further...

Anyone tried it??? Did it work???