Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 04:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie and possible NIP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 08:58 
New User
New User

Hi, I'm new here, and this site looks invaluable. Please forgive me if this question has been asked many times before - I've done a search but can't find the answer. Can anyone advise?

I was travelling on a 30 road, thinking it was a 40 limit. I didn't know the area and it was pitch black with no street lighting. Anyway, no excuses, if it was 30, it was 30. I had a double-flash from a speed camera, and felt sick. That was the Saturday night of 15th September. I've not yet received a NIP.

At first, I was thinking that once I'd gone past 14 days, I might be ok, but now I'm worried that the NIP might have got lost in the post. Either that, or maybe I'm not going to get one?

Does anyone know if NIPs are sent by recorded/registered post? I'd really rather get something so that, if sent too late, I can try to do something about it - rather than them coming back to me in a month's time asking why I haven't completed a NIP form or whatever "they" do.

Any advice gratefully received, and sorry once again if this has been asked loads of times before.

Hi, by the way :)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 09:21 
Life Member
Life Member

Some fixed cameras mis-fire. It is very disconcerting.
I think as 14 days have passed you are safe. They are usually sent first class post. should one arrive keep the envelope as proof of late postage etc.

The nip should be posted by day 12 to be received by day 14. However if you stood up in court and swore that it was not delivered till later than day 14 the court would be (in theory) bound to dismiss the speeding charge?? section 172 charge??
you would need to clarify this and go armed with all the legislation.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:26 
New User
New User

anton wrote:
Some fixed cameras mis-fire. It is very disconcerting.
I think as 14 days have passed you are safe. They are usually sent first class post. should one arrive keep the envelope as proof of late postage etc.

The nip should be posted by day 12 to be received by day 14. However if you stood up in court and swore that it was not delivered till later than day 14 the court would be (in theory) bound to dismiss the speeding charge?? section 172 charge??
you would need to clarify this and go armed with all the legislation.

Many thanks for the reply, anton. I'm opening my front door every evening and keeping my fingers crossed! Cheers :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Civvy, are you the registered owner of the vehicle? If not (Co car, lease etc) then the 14 day rule does not apply. (Well it does, but not to you)

Upton Sinclair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

civvy wrote:
I was travelling on a 30 road, thinking it was a 40 limit.

Was the signage for the speed limit adequate?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:58 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

smeggy wrote:
civvy wrote:

Especially since he says "it was pitch black with no street lighting" which suggests that repeaters would be necessary.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 15:56 
New User
New User

gopher wrote:
Civvy, are you the registered owner of the vehicle? If not (Co car, lease etc) then the 14 day rule does not apply. (Well it does, but not to you)

Yep, I am the registered owner, and my address details haven't changed recently, etc.

smeggy wrote:
civvy wrote:

Well, for me it wasn't adequate as I didn't note which maximum limit applied. However, I'm not sure whether that suggests it wasn't adequate for anyone else. I've never been along that particular stretch before - (it's the other end of the country) and I have to say, I was concentrating on the twists and turns in the road as I'd just come out of a wide country lane with a few twists and turns. I couldn't even tell I'd come out of it as there was no street lighting. Sorry, I'm waffling :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 21:02 
User

Don't they say that the way to tell if a road is 30mph is to count the street lights? If no street lights, how could you tell if it was 30mph, 40, 50 or NSL?

Especially if there were no repeaters and you drove from one road into another?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 22:19 

Thatsnews wrote:
Don't they say that the way to tell if a road is 30mph is to count the street lights? If no street lights, how could you tell if it was 30mph, 40, 50 or NSL?

It's simple*.
From a driver's point of view if a speed limit is in place on a road it will have a pair of terminal signs and repeater signs at 'regular intervals'.
If there are no repeater signs in sight then, for a general purpose road, if there are street lights you can assume it is a 'restricted road' which means :30:. If there are no street lights then it's NSL which is :60: for single carriageways or :70: for dual carriageways. For motorways (motorway special roads) it's :70: regardless of street lights or number of carriageways. Non-motorway special roads don't appear to have any general speed limit, but usually (if not always) have one applied separately. They are also very rare.

That's only for cars and motorcycles. Goods vehicles, HGVs, vehicles towing are all have lower limits. (except presumably for the non-motorway special roads)

:20:, :40:, :50: (and :60: on dual carriageways) limits always have to be signed.

At least I think that's how it works. :)

* If you find, say, rocket science simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 23:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Can someone also confirm whether or not a 30 limit can be in place in effect
on an unlit road with lit 30 repeaters, or only on a correctly lit road ( lamps above a set height and 183m/200yds apart)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 00:10 

botach wrote:
Can someone also confirm whether or not a 30 limit can be in place in effect
on an unlit road with lit 30 repeaters, or only on a correctly lit road ( lamps above a set height and 183m/200yds apart)?

If you are talking about a road with no street lights, but with :30: terminal and repeater signs then yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ziltro wrote:
botach wrote:
Can someone also confirm whether or not a 30 limit can be in place in effect on an unlit road with lit 30 repeaters, or only on a correctly lit road ( lamps above a set height and 183m/200yds apart)?

If you are talking about a road with no street lights, but with :30: terminal and repeater signs then yes.

But if the road is unlit, there is no requirement for either terminal signs or repeaters to be lit either.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 07:55 
New User
New User

Well, I still haven't heard anything, and the flash happened on 15th September. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed :yikes: I guess I'm not out of the woods though?