It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Road Deaths Toll Doubles
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 19:00 
User

This was taken from the Lancashire Evening Post ref:
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx? ... ID=1201002

Road deaths toll doubles
Road deaths almost doubled across Lancashire in the first eight months of this year, but overall accidents have decreased slightly.
Figures released by Lancashire Constabulary show 70 people were killed in 64 road smashes in that time compared with just 39 people in 36 collisions in the same period last year.
However, the statistics, which compared January to September this year with the same period last year, show serious injury incidents fell slightly from 657 to 643.
The number of people injured overall in car accidents also dropped from 5,048 to 5,027.
Christine Connor, who lost her husband Charlie in an horrific motorcycle accident in 2003, said: "We need to find out why fatalities are going up and, if it's speeding, then we need more speed cameras.
"It's encouraging to see overall casualties are going down, but I would encourage all motorists to remember a car can be a lethal weapon. People should be careful on the roads, otherwise the next time their relatives see them could be in a morgue."
The 60-year-old secretary from Longridge was riding pillion on her husband's Yamaha when it is believed he made a mistake on a bend and crashed head-on into a Rover.
She was thrown from the bike and escaped with bruises.
Vince Yearly, the national spokesman for the Institute of Advanced Motorists, said: "95% of these tragedies are down to driver error, not necessarily from the person killed, but by someone involved.
"To reduce accidents people should consider improving their driving. Becoming more aware of potential hazards, 360 degrees around the car, and ensuring you have time to stop are important. Motorists should make allowances if they are being tailgated."
In Preston, the number of people who died on the roads from January to September remained constant at three deaths in three smashes for both 2004 and 2005 - making it the only area not to show an increase.
The biggest rises were in the constabulary's Southern and Eastern Divisions where there were 10 more deaths than last year in each area.
This year, in Southern Division, which covers Leyland, Chorley and Skelmersdale, 21 people died in 17 fatal collisions during the first eight months of the year.
Deaths in motorway smashes also rose from two dead in two crashes to seven killed in six smashes, while in the north of the county, road fatalities increased from nine to 12.
In Preston, the number of people who were seriously injured fell very slightly from 75 to 72, while in Southern Division it rose from 177 last year to 193 this year.
But on the county's motorways, only 23 people were seriously hurt compared with 33 last year.
In the North, there were just 87 serious injuries so far this year compared with 98 over the same time last year.
A Lancashire Constabulary spokesman said: "It is a real concern that fatalities have increased and unfortunately this problem is not just restricted to Lancashire.
"Police forces in other areas of the country are also witnessing a rise in fatal road traffic collisions.
"It is difficult to give exact reasons for the increase as most fatal collisions are caused by a combination of factors such as excess or inappropriate speed, drink driving and the inexperience of younger drivers.
"Another factor this year has been the good weather in Lancashire over the summer months, resulting in more cars and a lot more motorbikes on our roads."
The force has now set up a Casualty Reduction Group with police officers, Lancashire County Council and the Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety.
The spokesman said: "When a fatal road traffic collision occurs a wide range of resources are deployed to that area so that we can try to understand the causes and work towards effective solutions."
24 September 2005

Has anyone else seen this?
I would like to hear comments from others...............yes, I have plenty of my own.

......... Vince Yearly, the national spokesman for the Institute of Advanced Motorists, said: "95% of these tragedies are down to driver error, not necessarily from the person killed, but by someone involved.
"To reduce accidents people should consider improving their driving. Becoming more aware of potential hazards, 360 degrees around the car, and ensuring you have time to stop are important. Motorists should make allowances if they are being tailgated."......

I can only agree with this comment, and it makes a change to hear some other reason except for the excuse for another camera.

......... Christine Connor, who lost her husband Charlie in an horrific motorcycle accident in 2003, said: "We need to find out why fatalities are going up and, if it's speeding, then we need more speed cameras.
"It's encouraging to see overall casualties are going down, but I would encourage all motorists to remember a car can be a lethal weapon. People should be careful on the roads, otherwise the next time their relatives see them could be in a morgue."........

I appreciate that this lady has been through an hurrendous time, and like so many of the people we see and talk to in our area, still believe that a camera is the answer. How do we convince them otherwise??

look forward to your comments.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 22:10 
User

As one who rode motorcycles for many, many, years, without injury (I did fall off a few times), I have immense sympathy with the tragic deaths reported here.

I can only say that being a motorcyclist made me a much better motorist. Unfortunately it is a fact motorcycling is less safe then driving a car, due to the consequences of what can sometimes be only a slight error on either the part of the motorcyclist or the motorist involved.

All I can say is this: if you think you are 'running into danger' slow down. Its not worth doing otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 18:26 
User

......... Christine Connor, who lost her husband Charlie in an horrific motorcycle accident in 2003, said: "We need to find out why fatalities are going up and, if it's speeding, then we need more speed cameras....

I do get the impression that those with a vested interest in speed control tend to exploit the emotional side of things to their advantage. This is of course distasteful but it is also likely to lead to inappropriate legislation. As with handgun legislation, we should remain level-headed and not listen to hysteria and emotion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 14:08 
User

james_J wrote:
......... Christine Connor, who lost her husband Charlie in an horrific motorcycle accident in 2003, said: "We need to find out why fatalities are going up and, if it's speeding, then we need more speed cameras....

I do get the impression that those with a vested interest in speed control tend to exploit the emotional side of things to their advantage. This is of course distasteful but it is also likely to lead to inappropriate legislation. As with handgun legislation, we should remain level-headed and not listen to hysteria and emotion.

Firstly I would like to appologise for not being on here for a while and taking so long to reply to you.
But, seeing your post has made me realise that some decisions I have made regarding my place in RoadPeace have been the right decisions.
I agree with you and what you are saying. It is so nice to come onto this site and hear common sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 23:20 

safedriver wrote:
All I can say is this: if you think you are 'running into danger' slow down. Its not worth doing otherwise.

I'm sorry to be nit picky, but I have to add that this is absolutely the wrong advice for any motorcyclist who thinks he is approaching a bend too quickly.

Far too many riders are killed because they roll off or brake when they panic becasue they think they've gone into the bend too fast.

As long as you are upright - its good advice. But if you are leant over - trying to slow down it will normally make things worse. Much better to stay relaxed, look where you want to go and lean in. you may even need more throttle rather than less.