Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aims?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 14:17 
User

Hello there, good to see an organisation linked to Safe Speed being set up in my own backyard! (SW Cumbria resident here - for half of the year, anyway.)

I'm just wondering what exactly Roadpeace's aims are, and its stance on speed cameras? Are you in agreement with Paul's research and claims on the Safe Speed site?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 14:51 
User

Hi Mike,
Glad to have you on our site.
Yes, we have tipped over into Cumbria. It feels as if I spend half of my life there at the moment. But, any promotion is good promotion.
As far as 'aims' are concerned, that varies depending on which region you are in.
Each group seem to have their own way of running things, and some keep strickly under the head Office umbrella, and others, like us, tend to steer in a different direction (not always to with complete 'understanding' of those in charge down south).
lancashire/Cumbria (and now some of Yorkshire), have various aims. But we mainly want to go back to what Roadpeace was originally set up for 12 years ago, and now has moved into the politacal lines instaed, and has very little time for. That is to be a support for the family, friends, etc, of the ones left behind after a death, or carrying on in a serious injury.
We belive that the basics, like visiting them at home or in hospital (should they ask us to), fetching shopping, washing if necesary. Watching the kids, giving them a lift to grave, hospital etc. But more so, in just being there to listen, watch, and answer any questions they have, and try to steer them in the right direction for the help they need.
many of our groups spend alot of time campaigning, and that is fine, if they wish to, but we try not to do that ourselves. Should this be what a victim wishes to do, then there will always be support amongst groups for this.
Speed cameras??? My opinion???? :gatso1: Does that answer your question??
Others within our group may have other opinions, but that is what our group is about. Debating, discussing, and working out the reasons why these crashes happen. Then, trying to 'help' others understand that safety on the road is about many things, not just one. And, infact some things like ******* cameras can infact cause death.
Thanks again for coming on.
If you get a chance to visit us when we are in Cumbria( this weekend in Glenridding) then please do so.

Profile Send private message