Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 07:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 14:01 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I was idly wondering whether the very slow or very fast drivers were in fact more similar than different. Slow drivers tend to be slow because they see the risk in the speed itself so dawdle along to reduce it and to 'feel safe'. Do fast drivers actually feel safe by the speed as they reduce their exposure time on the roads as they whizz everywhere like a bat out of hell thinking the faster they go the less opportunity anyone else has time to crash into them? Fast drivers are always seen as risk takers. Some will be but is there a group we don't consider who are risk averse and that is why they whoosh around?

Thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 17:43 
User

I believe it has been suggested that this is one of the reasons why people persist in driving at high speeds in poor weather contions.

They hate it and are trying to get home quicker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 13:08 
User

You might get slow drivers in Southampton because they don't see the point in speed when they are going to get stopped at 90%+ of the traffic lights and stuck in the associated congestion. You might also get fast drivers who use such speed in order to improve journey times after being stopped at traffic lights excessively.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 22:47 
New User
New User

teabelly wrote:
Slow drivers tend to be slow because they see the risk in the speed itself so dawdle along to reduce it and to 'feel safe'.
Thoughts?

I wonder why it is, then, that so many slow drivers don't see any risk in having defective brake lights! I seem to have a habit of finding such drivers on the road! If my elderly mother is a passenger, she tells me that maybe they just want to feel safe. I reply "If they want to feel safe, why then do they only have one brake light working out of three, and don't use their indicators?"

Of course there may be a class of slow drivers that do indeed have that tendency because they want to feel safe! I can't seriously dispute what you write.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:52 
Life Member
Life Member

Way back there was a phone-in on Jeremy Vine on R2 about driving, which turned into a rant about people who don't indicate.

A woman rang in and said because she always obeyed the speed limit, she didn't NEED to indicate :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:13 

Dusty wrote:
I believe it has been suggested that this is one of the reasons why people persist in driving at high speeds in poor weather contions.

They hate it and are trying to get home quicker!

You may find this weird, but riding in pouring rain at 94 apples or more actually keeps rain off riders visors...

So I am told...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 13:03 
New User
New User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
A woman rang in and said because she always obeyed the speed limit, she didn't NEED to indicate :?

Well, I suppose that's the inevitable result of the powers-that-be concentrating on little more than speed, seat-belts and sobriety.

"I don't exceed the speed limits, I wear my seat-belt and I don't drink and drive. Therefore it doesn't matter how close I am to the car in front and whether I bother to do such frightfully complex things as indicating. I'm doing all the important things right and that's what matters." seems to be what many dozy drivers think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 13:21 
Site Admin

I_try_to_drive_safely wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:

Well, I suppose that's the inevitable result of the powers-that-be concentrating on little more than speed, seat-belts and sobriety.

"I don't exceed the speed limits, I wear my seat-belt and I don't drink and drive. Therefore it doesn't matter how close I am to the car in front and whether I bother to do such frightfully complex things as indicating. I'm doing all the important things right and that's what matters." seems to be what many dozy drivers think.

ABSOLUTELY! I think that's a big big problem.