Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 14:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
The streets are well lit so the lights are doing absolutely nothing to show you your way, everyone can see you, you could probably drive with no lights at all but sidelights are good enough to locate you.

and yet unlit cyclists are branded as suicidal idiots. :?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 14:33 
Suspended
Suspended

Location: Ignoring the mental pygmies (and there are a lot of them here)

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 15:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's because unlit cyclists at night are suicidal idiots!

Aren't they :? :stirthepot:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 17:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
Actually have you ever not seen an unlit cyclist, motorcycle or car driver?

well I've never run one down but they're often spotted quite late if they're wearing dark clothes.

Oscar wrote:
Aren't they

probably

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 22:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
On modern cars, there is a level control for the lights to compensate for various loading conditions.

True, but if the car in question has xenon lights then the level control is always (or maybe almost always?) an automatic thing which the driver has no way of influencing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 22:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
Actually have you ever not seen an unlit cyclist, motorcycle or car driver?

How would you know if you hadn't ;) I second johnsher's comment, never hit anyone, but too often (not that it's happened a lot, but even once is too often when a decent set of lights or a bit of hi-vis clothing costs peanuts, especially compared to the cost of some of the bikes being ridden in such a stealthy manner) I've only see unlit cyclists when I'm almost on top of them, which isn't ideal...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 07:45 
Suspended
Suspended

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 15:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
Twister wrote:
How would you know if you hadn't

You would have run into them - otherwise it doesn't matter if they are lit or not as your paths don't cross.

Not this time, no. What I'd like to avoid is the one time when our paths *do* cross because of their inadequate visibility. Now, if we could rely on cyclists, pedestrians and other frequently poorly-visible road users to stick to predictable paths and not suddenly deviate from those paths into the paths of other road users without any warning, then I might not be quite as concerned over their lack of visibility. But we can't.

And whilst I might have been lucky so far in not having a crossing of paths, what about the poor sods who *have* suffered the physical and mental scars of such encounters?

FJSRiDER wrote:
And don't you too think that if this headlight arms race was not occurring we would all have a better ability to discern more vulnerable road users?

In some circumstances, perhaps. But in other circumstances, whilst a significant number of those vulnerable road users continue to make no effort to improve their visibility, absolutely not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 16:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
And don't you too think that if this headlight arms race was not occurring we would all have a better ability to discern more vulnerable road users?

not necessarily because the places they seem to disappear are darker sections of road with no oncoming traffic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 16:29 
Suspended
Suspended

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 19:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
The point being that they would all be more visible if others were not barrelling around with 2x60w(?) lamps blazing

Under some circumstances, not all.

FJSRiDER wrote:
and under street lights car drivers would have 'lost' nothing as the headlights do nothing to help you see your way.

That assumes the system of streetlighting provides a minimum level of lighting across the entire road surface to allow for safe passage without the need for any additional lighting. I've experienced too many roads where the streetlights deliver only pools of light with dark gaps inbetween - not roads I'd want to drive down without the assistance of dipped headlights.

Your point of view makes sense on some urban roads, mine makes sense on the others. Given that not all urban roads currently meet what I'd consider to be the minimum level of lighting to make the non-use of headlights a safe and sane option, I'd prefer not to encourage drivers into switching their lights off in urban areas unless we could be absolutely certain they'd remember/realise to switch them on for those urban roads which *do* need them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 22:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Twister wrote:
I'd prefer not to encourage drivers into switching their lights off in urban areas unless we could be absolutely certain they'd remember/realise to switch them on for those urban roads which *do* need them.

Is it nieve of me to think that people would turn them on automatically when they couldn't see? Serious question...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:20 
User

I think so, given the alarming number of drivers who successfully make their way out of town onto the open road at night completely unlit.

This means that their instrumentation is unlit, yet they did not notice that. What are the chances of them remembering to change from sides to dips if they can't even spot an unlit dashboard at night?

I think the probability of people forgetting to switch between lighting modes is far too great.

The above street light arguement might suit London, but elsewhere in the country the roads are far too poorly lit to rely upon street lighting.

In addition, it is difficult to tell unlit vehicles from parked vehicles in many urban conditions, so in my opinion we'd have more instances of confused road users overshooting queues etc mistaking them for parked vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:38 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

jamie_duff wrote:
I think so, given the alarming number of drivers who successfully make their way out of town onto the open road at night completely unlit.

This means that their instrumentation is unlit, yet they did not notice that. What are the chances of them remembering to change from sides to dips if they can't even spot an unlit dashboard at night?

It doesn't necessarily mean that, as a lot of cars have instruments that are permanently illuminated - a few years back I had a SEAT Toledo with this feature. I would expect this to apply to the vast majority of cars driving around at night totally unlit.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:44 
Suspended
Suspended

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:28 
User

FJSRiDER wrote:
jamie_duff wrote:

Really? How many is 'alarming' and where do your figures come from?

jamie_duff wrote:
I think the probability of people forgetting to switch between lighting modes is far too great.

But you think they are capable of driving otherwise? I'd rather we find the drivers incapable of managing simple tasks and either remove their option to drive or retrain them.

jamie_duff wrote:
In addition, it is difficult to tell unlit vehicles from parked vehicles in many urban conditions, so in my opinion we'd have more instances of confused road users overshooting queues etc mistaking them for parked vehicles.

Which part of 'using sidelights' don't you understand?

There's no need for your tone there so why not wind your neck in and keep this objective?

There's already a system for removing inept drivers from the roads, but the Police have their hands tied with speeders and paperwork so to be honest, I can't see your enforcement plan being too rigidly adhered to.

Sidelights and parking lights are one in the same thing aren't they? On the otherhand it's easy to see the glow from other vehicles dipped beams.

I don't have figures, but I do have eyes. You would do well to try driving round more rural parts of the country where people regard cars as motorised shopping trolleys and you might be alarmed at what you saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 13:06 
Suspended
Suspended

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 15:37 
User

I'd also like to keep the topic civilised which everyone seems to manage except you.

Your tone is most condecending and rude. Not just in this post but in others.

This entire discussion is about opinion yet somehow you seem to think yours is more valid than mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 16:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FJSRiDER wrote:
It is ironic that you post facile and unattributed comment as 'fact' and then claim that you want to keep the topic objective. This 'alarming number of drivers' is entirely your opinion? Looks like you are the one that needs to wind your neck in sunshine.

I think there's quite a bit of difference between someone placing a higher level of significance on personally collected data, and someone making snide comments about a posters comprehension abilities. It seems to me that you have a real bee in your bonnet regarding this particular topic, which is fair enough, but please let's try and avoid dragging the discussion down into personal attack level.

FJSRiDER wrote:
I live in a rural area and have not seen a car without headlights at night in years.

You're either lucky to live in an area with some well clued-up drivers, or you don't drive much after sunset! My day to day experience of urban, semi-urban and semi-rural (i.e. country roads within a few miles of built up areas, as opposed to country roads in the middle of nowhere) roads in the London/Thames Valley area suggests that seeing an unlit/sidelit-only vehicle once a week isn't much to get excited about any more. Just a couple of nights ago I saw someone pootling along L1 on the M4 with *no* lights turned on until a passing truck reminded them to light up with a few flashes of mainbeam and hazards... You may be able to dismiss it as not being an issue in your part of the country, but don't think you can dismiss it as not being a problem anywhere else.

FJSRiDER wrote:
I suspect the use of headlights (and worse - fogs and spots)

Misuse of spots/fogs is a bugbear of mine, and if you choose to start up a new thread berating the numpties who do this then you'll have my full support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 16:21 
Site Admin

Something nasty going on here:

FJSRiDER wrote:
jamie_duff wrote:

Really? How many is 'alarming' and where do your figures come from?

jamie_duff wrote:
There's no need for your tone there so why not wind your neck in and keep this objective?

FJSRiDER wrote:
It is ironic that you post facile and unattributed comment as 'fact' and then claim that you want to keep the topic objective.

I have sympathies with both sides in this, but I must remind all posters:

*ad hominem is banned. You're expected to attack the argument not the poster.

* Please let's keep it highly civilised and ensure that this remains the best quality road safety discussion available anywhere.

* It's easy to misunderstand someone else's position when you only know what you know through text based communication.

* Leave moderating to the moderators.