Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 08:55 
Site Admin

Pete317 wrote:
Boing_uk wrote:
Oh I dont know - if we are talking purely motorway/expressway driving then there very well should be at the very least some form of automatic control for vehicles, if only to reduce vehicle headways and prevent ghost traffic jams.

Yes, but....
Firstly, such a system would be expensive, even in terms of unit price.
Secondly, it would need most of the vehicles on the road to be equipped in order to be effective - this would take a very long time.
Thirdly, there are still big problems to be overcome in terms of reliable detection.
Lastly, but not leastly, it's yet another thing for (some? many?) drivers to become dependent upon.

OTOH, much the same results could conceivably be achieved with better driver education.
Could not agree more. :lol:

I think what we are losing or lost in many, many cases, is how to educate motorists.
If Motorway Travel was taught after passing the Driving Test then these excellent management and control abilities can be easily and simply taught, which would then see the 'caterpillar' effect reduced very considerably!
When I travel and I see the 'pattern' beginning, I start to leave a far far bigger gap and will adjust my positioning to suit, adjusting speed and those behind me ....
Once the queue starts to move I'll control that too and have often got 'my lane' to neigh never stop ... I often think if others understood what I was doing and they were encouraged and educated to do it too then we'd have far less queuing.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It reminds me of a program on the other day which was a new high tech 'alien looking' kit to assist the surgeon.

It did help with precision and speed with less blood loss but, and this is the point, it couldn't possibly replace the surgeon, (driver).

There's a very real danger of the cure being worse than the disease, as you say Pete.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 

Our society as a whole seems to be averse to education. One only has to look at the teenage pregnancy rate, debt, binge drinking problems and other sorts of antisocial behaviour to see that. It seems that the accepted standard is that we should all be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want, and bollox to the consequences. The whole concept of self-denial and discipline is rapidly disappearing from modern society. Of the drivers who come to grief (which, we must still remember, is a pretty small number in the great scheme of things) you'd have to separate out those who would benefit from more education and those who already knew darned well that what they were doing was wrong / dangerous. Clearly, the second sort are beyond education but, (as the speed awareness course gravy train probably already knows), can still manage to turn up for a speed awareness course and say "yes sir, no sir, three bags full, sir" as appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 15:04 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
Our society as a whole seems to be averse to education. One only has to look at the teenage pregnancy rate, debt, binge drinking problems and other sorts of antisocial behaviour to see that. It seems that the accepted standard is that we should all be able to do whatever we want, whenever we want, and bollox to the consequences. The whole concept of self-denial and discipline is rapidly disappearing from modern society.

It's not education we are adverse to, it's being judgemental about the behaviour of others. Unless children are told that certain things are "wrong" and not just an alternative acceptable action or lifestyle then society is doomed to fragment and civilisation decay. It has happened to previous civilisations, why not to ours?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 03:36 
Site Admin

Isn't there an issue with belief in all of this ? Where people don't think that it will really happen to them, they think that they have done 'x' so many times and got away with it, this will just (somehow) continue ?
An ignorant bliss or a mission creep of bad habits, that used to be seriously pointed out, and condemned as really bad practice and to be avoided. So a self motivation of self preservation was instilled in people and so they did the right thing, because it was sensible. Backed up with Police patrols and good science and engineering (etc) all helped to gradually reduced road injuries and deaths.
[Devils advocate] - As we all gradually age might we just be 'being more observant', of the younger less careful generation and worry as our parents did ? :twisted:

I think that there are many motoring skills (esp inc confidence & ability), that are lacking in the many motorists, of all ages frankly. Or is that just the paranoia showing up ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 15:01 
New User
New User

jogreen68 wrote:
Your best bet is rallying to get all the manufacturers to introduce sensors front and back which stops cars getting closer than what is required. Should youpress the accelerator within these distances it simply doesn;t respond.

Not sure why this hasn't been introduced to the mainstream... pretty sure they've been prototyping it for like 5 years!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 16:09 

Too expensive for mainstream as yet. I think plenty of top end Jags and Mercs have them though - they're a radar-based system, and they work just as you describe.