Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Be that as it may, I do not think that the establishment's interference in our daily lives, to a ridiculous level, plays an insignificant part.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Traffic lights at night
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 16:34 

I have read the whole thread and it has trailed off considerably now, so I'll just reply to the original question. Yes-there are a lot of unnecessary traffic lights; I can see the need for traffic lights in some situations like complicated junctions or busy times at junctions, but not for lots of the places they are. I want to see traffic lights switched off when there is little traffic, and some removed all together from junctions that clearly don't need them. We should be allowed to go on our own judgement, considering we do it all the time anyway. Some people in this thread seem to like being subservient to the government, but I personally don't like being micromanaged by the "all seeing eye" that the government is turning into now. You MUST do this, you MUST NOT do that etc, that just makes me yern for an opportunity to raise my two fingers at them :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ree.t wrote:
Why can’t some traffic lights flash amber (or turn off (I know some do)) at night and during quiet periods? I was driving home at about half ten last night and it was relatively quiet. I had to stop and several traffic lights with no traffic coming. Is it really necessary to mange traffic, which is not there?

Many times I have sat at a traffic light controlled round about, and thought “I could have gone”.

If they flashed amber it could mean give way or proceed with caution.

You're killing me! :bighand: A kindred spirit :love: I said this at least 500 years ago! Whatever happened to common sense! A roundabout, (WITHOUT THE F :censored: N LIGHTS), is the most efficient, dare I say green, method of keeping traffic on the move :hoppingmad:

RobinXe wrote:
At most junctions in North America a red light means you may turn right if it is clear, having stopped first (thus acting rather like a STOP sign :P). Those where you can't are marked by 'No Right Turn on Red' signs.

I KNOW, I KNOW! :hoppingmad: ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:26 

Flynn wrote:
Some people in this thread seem to like being subservient to the government....

Non-sequiteur. Observing road traffic law does not mean being subservient to the government. Is it not possible to have these discusssions without the deployment of ridiculous and emotive language and accusations?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 21:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

bombus wrote:
Now I'm off to read Scared to Death, which Santa brought, and get even grumpier. I'm expecting great things; I'll post a review in this forum in due course.

I've got it too bro! On recommendation from this site! You won’t be disappointed I think. Brought it for myself; a prezzy from me to me. (Billy no mates)

I think you will enjoy it ;) An eye-opener... :roll:

I may be old enough to be your dad but, (and I have to tell it as it is), you are so much more switched-on than I was at your age.

(Not patronising, honestly! Wish you had married my daughter)

If someone would like my copy, someone nice, I will personally post it to any member (bibliophil) FOC...

Now there's an offer you don't see very often.

First come, first served an' all that...

(I'm CRB checked BTW)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Mon Apr 21, 2008 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 22:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tone, about your daughter.....

Rigpig, take that ridiculous, jobless fag-chariot out of your avatar at once!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 00:16 
User

ree.t wrote:
Why can’t some traffic lights flash amber (or turn off (I know some do)) at night and during quiet periods? I was driving home at about half ten last night and it was relatively quiet. I had to stop and several traffic lights with no traffic coming. Is it really necessary to mange traffic, which is not there?

Many times I have sat at a traffic light controlled round about, and thought “I could have gone”.

If they flashed amber it could mean give way or proceed with caution.

I havent read through all this so excuse me if someone has already mentioned it....In Germany this is common in late hrs and early morn for many T/L to be off or just flash. The junction reverts to its relevant priority and is covered by signs for this event. Works perfect out there ,I had no probs with it perhaps there must be a little german in my blood, unfortunately in the UK I dont think the masses are capable of it. In this country drivers are often poorly trained to a very very basic and limited level then tested to a inadequate standard then take to the road ill equipped and with a typically british arrogant attitude. Now you know I dont mean all drivers out there but be assured I mean the majority of basic licence group holders. Then again it may make them think more, so bring it on :D ........... :twisted: do I have a poor impression of british drivers in general?................... :evil: YEP! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 13:33 
User

Being a signals engineer I have come across this argument many times.

There are two things that, in my mind, would make the highways (and alot of other things) a better place.

Essential services - schools, social services, waste collection, highways - should be carried out at a regional level and without political interference. Alot of highway authorities are too eagerly run by local politicans, who in alot of cases ignore the advice of their officers. It is the political interference that creates alot of the problems...

".. someone died here, therefore we must have a <insert remedy here>.."

A regional agency, divorced from local political wrangling would make our jobs much more efficient.

The other big problem is officers unwilling to consider ideas outside of the box. Again this stems from the points made above. Local officers become attached to the local preferences. And there is alot more power devolved to local highway authorities nowadays than there ever used to be. Gone are the days where traffic signals and speed limits needed to be approved by the DfT. At least with a regional agency there would be more consistency and funding could be applied without political interference. I also think there should be competency tests for Engineers to ensure that a) their practices are still "current" or at the very least innovative and b) that they make reference to other country's (and indeed our own) research before applying methods from their own little toolkit.

There need to be national RULES, not guidance. Any regional departure should be considered by a national forum.

Engineers have a wealth of information and research available to them, but very few use it preferring to go with how they have been trained or with local practices.

And of course, there is the issue of funding. It is much cheaper to install traffic signals than, say, a roundabout. But then, more accidents occur at roundabouts than signals - so you have to look at the total whole-life societal costs and the bigger picture than just simply your perceived delay at a set of signals. As well as that, there is the direct issue of maintenance. No-one wants to pay for more tax, but electricity bills have increased, maintenance bills have increased and material costs have increased. And these have to be met by budgets that are not increasing in line.

That means things like slot cutting, new controller configurations, or minor improvements have to go on a wish list. That means as traffic flows change, or detection fails, we cannot keep up so the operational efficiency of the junction falls.

My own personal feeling is that all signals should be fitted with MOVA (intelligent vehicle detection) and that at night they should rest on all red. MOVA detectors are generally at least 100m from a junction (you can tell a MOVA site as the loops in the road look like squashed diamond shapes, rather than the chevron or square-types found at ordinary sites) so if a junction is resting on red, you will be detected further from the stop line and there should be no need to slow down much. Also, Engineers should put more time and effort in to making the junction as flexible as possible rather than just "getting it to work". It costs significantly more initially, but the benefits to the driver however small, are those that are perceived the most. Fixed time should never be used.

But on the flip side of that, in busy periods, co-ordinating of junctions may mean that you are held at red at a particular junction for the greater benefit of the whole network. For instance, during peak periods I run a number of junctions on an arterial route at an artifically low cycle time. This holds alot of traffic in that part of the network to prevent two other areas from getting grid-locked, overall improving the throughput of the network. Now to the drivers at those junctions it may seem like they are being unnecessarily delayed, but the benefits to the whole network means that less people are delayed.

Rant over... :D