Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 23:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving in groups...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 18:34 
Site Admin

No one, it seems, has written the book on driving in groups. I've done quite a bit of it over the years, especially driving in pairs.

There's plenty you can do, or could do, that would be better than driving alone.

The front car can provide forward vision to aid the rear car overtaking. The safe way of doing this is for the front car to stay out when there are no oncomers. This is incredibly helpful when you're a few hunderd yards - or a few cars - apart. It's as good as being able to see rounds bends or over brows - if you trust the other driver. But where's that tip written down? Nowhere that I've ever seen.

At night it can be hard to know if the 'right car' is behind. But you can flash (or even use :yikes: ) front fogs to aid recognition.

What are you top tips for driving in groups, pairs or convoy?

(The bikers do this a lot of course, but I'm think that deserves its own thread.)

Last edited by SafeSpeed on Thu Apr 12, 2007 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Driving is groups...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 20:08 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
No one, it seems, has written the book on driving in groups. I've done quite a bit of it over the years, especially driving in pairs.

There's plenty you can do, or could do, that would be better than driving alone.

The front car can provide forward vision to aid the rear car overtaking. The safe way of doing this is for the front car to stay out when there are no oncomers. This is incredibly helpful when you're a few hunderd yards - or a few cars - apart. It's as good as being able to see rounds bends or over brows - if you trust the other driver. But where's that tip written down? Nowhere that I've ever seen.

I have definitely read about that technique before, either in a book or motoring magazine, and it dates back at least 20 years I would say, so it's not a new idea but I can't remember the source.

One would need a very good level of understanding and trust between the participants, but I like the idea, and I have used the technique myself occasionally.

On a less formal basis it can be very pleasant to meet up on the road with another driver and find yourself travelling together making good progress for while. It's nice to have that feeling that you're reaching some kind of understanding with the other driver, getting used to each other's style and methods etc.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:01 
User

we've certainly driven co-operatively in convoy on motorways, particularly useful to have the rear car anticipating the need to change lanes and move into a gap to take a covering position and let the front car in ahead.

i do recall following my dad into bristol looking for a car park, roads were fairly quiet and i could see he was dithering but i was able to cover both of the lane options so when he did finally decide to take the right hand one he wasn't blocked by what traffic there was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 22:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
ed_m wrote:
we've certainly driven co-operatively in convoy on motorways, particularly useful to have the rear car anticipating the need to change lanes and move into a gap to take a covering position and let the front car in ahead.

Works well if you're with someone that knows what you'r doing , and can interact - one moment you're in L3 , providing cover - next he's in L3 doing the same job - so both of you travel a lot safer and quicker .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 00:31 
User

ed_m wrote:

This is how me and my GF do it. The lead car signals, the rear car moves out first, then the front car, then we speed up if necessary.

My top tip? two-way radio. It's not illegal yet. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 01:19 
User

Everything that's been said, plus at night, if you each have a couple of LED's in your front grill, it is easy to identify the vehicle(s) behind. Choose a colour which is legal!

Two way radio is a great asset, as you can plan rest stops dynamicaly, or make route changes without having to stop to confer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 01:49 
Site Admin

Lum wrote:
My top tip? two-way radio. It's not illegal yet. :)

Yeah. We do that too. We've got a pair of Motorola 'Talkabout', one of the earlier 'PMR' thingies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 03:58 

Mmm, Motorola Talkabouts are nice to use. I've got some GMRS ones for use in Florida.
If you're going to be driving and using the radio it's good to get one which isn't too cheap & nasty. I've got a couple of PMR446es which aren't too good to use while driving.
Personally I like one which can clip on the seatbelt so it's quite close to my ear and still easy to grab.

I was recently the lead in a convoy of 4. 3 of us had radios. It would have been nice to say "ok, I want to be going a bit faster here so if it's ok with everyone else let's get over to lane 3 when we can".

I was following someone in London once, and they didn't seem to realise that if they went through a traffic light as it was amber I would have to go through on red if I wanted to continue following them. :roll:
Same goes for pulling out on junctions and roundabouts; you have to find a gap big enough not only for you but for everyone else too!

Expect and plan for having someone else pull in between people in your convoy. It's going to happen no matter what.

If someone ahead of you pulls in to let a stray vehicle past them, it might not be a good idea to 'flash them out'. I was almost in an accident this way. It happened something like this...
Three cars involved, Car 1 and Car 2 in convoy, Car 3 just happened to be there.
Car 1 went past a roundabout. Car 2 had to give way to Car 3 coming from the other direction, who got between Car 1 and 2. Car 1 pulled over in to a layby so that Car 3 could pass. Car 2 slowed down and flashed to let Car 1 know it was them. Car 3 thought this flashing was aimed at them and pulled into the layby in front of/next to Car 1, who was about to pull out and almost hit Car 3.
Obviously the driver of Car 3 was a little bit tense. :shock: