Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:

Feedback

Code:
action > vehicle > perception > risk model V
^-------------------------------------------

This is looking like a closed loop regulatory system, but the loop isn't closed when you're a passenger. It's easy to imagine how the risk model could go a little wild if you open the loop.

I think I understand what you are saying - My interpretation is that, as a passenger we can go through all the motions of driving except the physical side. And that breaks the loop?

Yeah... that's the theory.

Like a heater with a broken thermostat - the system becomes unpredictable. (Too cold if the heater is always off; too hot if the heater is always on)

OK. I completely agreed with that - but it can only be part of the picture.

Yeah. It's an 'illustrative oversimplification'. The 'risk model' clearly won't actually stop working if we open the loop, and of course we have opened the loop 'upstream' from the risk model. But I can see good reason to expect the risk model to be adversely affected, which of course if the exact effect that we're looking for.

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
If it were the whole story, for our own mental well being, we would be more content to look out the side window and remove ourselves from the loop altogether.

Better the devil you know, I reckon. In fact for me, I know it's true. As a passenger with a bad driver, I'm pretty much fixated on the road ahead.

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
If there were a disparity between our and our drivers driving techniques, wouldn't that become quickly evident, even without looking? Wouldn't we start to feel uncomfortable even if we weren't trying to activate our "driving loop"?

Hell yes - see an unmanaged risk and get scared. But 'without looking'? I don't understand that bit.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 16:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Yeah. It's an 'illustrative oversimplification'. The 'risk model' clearly won't actually stop working if we open the loop, and of course we have opened the loop 'upstream' from the risk model. But I can see good reason to expect the risk model to be adversely affected, which of course if the exact effect that we're looking for.[/

HELP! I'm out of my depth here - I need to do some homework!

Quote:
Hell yes - see an unmanaged risk and get scared. But 'without looking'? I don't understand that bit.

Right, I think we both agree that, by sitting there doing everything but actually controlling the car, we break the normal cycle of events and it can make us feel uncomfortable. Our brain knows a vital "something" is missing.

I went on to suggest that, even if we deprive ourselves of all visual information, ie look out the sidewindow, we would still sense whether or not our driver was driving well. Our brain would be making this observation without going through any driving anticipation and planning decisions. We are worried simply because our driver does not equate to our expected performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 16:47 
Site Admin

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
Quote:
Yeah. It's an 'illustrative oversimplification'. The 'risk model' clearly won't actually stop working if we open the loop, and of course we have opened the loop 'upstream' from the risk model. But I can see good reason to expect the risk model to be adversely affected, which of course if the exact effect that we're looking for.[/

Sorry. A working lifetime as an electronics engineer tends to colour the way I view and describe systems. I'm sure that there are easier terms, but I'm stuck in the groove. Perhaps someone else can assist?

[I understand and agree the rest of your post.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 18:24 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:

Don't worry you're not alone :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 00:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
Like a heater with a broken thermostat - the system becomes unpredictable. (Too cold if the heater is always off; too hot if the heater is always on)

I think it must come down to trust, if you don't trust the driver then you are tempted to try to protect yourself against any mistakes they might make. The better a driver you are, the more you are likely to notice mistakes when you are a passenger. Perhaps this is why you feel the effect so strongly?

When I've got passengers I go out of my way to make an obvious reaction to approaching hazards sooner than I normally might - signalling early to indicate a lane change when I'm approaching slower traffic on a motorway, or just feathering the brakes so the passengers can feel I'm slowing down on the approach to a junction etc, or sometimes just looking obviously at a hazard and using body language to show that I'm getting ready to respond to it. My feeling is that trust is something that is learned over time and the more reassurances the driver gives the quicker it is learned. I don't know how effectively this works, but it's been an awfully long time since I got the feeling that any of my passengers are uncomfortable with my driving on public roads.

From time to time I get to take people out on white knuckle rides and that's a different matter altogether, of course.