It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 16:14 
User

There was an accident jsut a few miles from me yesterday:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4786409.stm

Quote:
Man dies following road collision
A motorist collapsed and died shortly after being involved in a three-car collision in the Lake District.

The man, who has not been named, at first reported suffering no serious injuries after the incident on the A591 near Ambleside on Friday afternoon.

But he collapsed shortly afterwards and later died in Westmoreland General Hospital in Kendal.

Cumbria Police said investigations were continuing and no-one else was injured in the incident.

The collision was not described as serious by officers.

A force spokesman said it was not yet clear whether the man was suffering from any other underlying medical conditions.

It's worth bearing in mind that circumstances can conspire to conceal the true nature of injuries.
A friend of mine was discharged following a road accident, but was later found wandering around Kendal in a confused state - not knowing how or when he got there.
He had managed to answer all the relevant questions to be allowed to be discharged, but a serious brain injury had gone unnoticed - partly because he appeared lucid, and in control of all his faculties. :oops:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 18:13 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
There was an accident just a few miles from me yesterday:
Quote:
Man dies following road collision
A motorist collapsed and died shortly after being involved in a three-car collision in the Lake District.
The man, who has not been named, at first reported suffering no serious injuries after the incident on the A591 near Ambleside on Friday afternoon.
But he collapsed shortly afterwards and later died in Westmoreland General Hospital in Kendal.
Cumbria Police said investigations were continuing and no-one else was injured in the incident.
The collision was not described as serious by officers.
A force spokesman said it was not yet clear whether the man was suffering from any other underlying medical conditions.

I was actually the first on the scene at this incident on Friday.
The traffic was at a stand still at Waterhead due to a collision further on towards Windermere and after a while a young girl and an older man were just passing my car when he collapsed to the floor and she began screaming.
I and another passer by managed to get him in the recovery position as he was still breathing then I dragged the girl who was about ten years old around the corner so she couldn't see her Grandad suffering. I assume he had had a heart attack.
An ambulance soon turned up and after several minutes began heart massage.
Shortly afterwards a recovery truck passed by with a couple of vehicles on board that looked only slightly damaged, certainly drivable.
They had been involved in the crash and had been decleared fit and were walking back towardd Ambleside when he collapsed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 22:28 
User

Hmm.
I'm glad you cleared that up - it was implied in the article, but my pint was prompted by the story.

I am not overley happy with some diagnoses being made at the roadside.
In part it is due to the responses from the victim being reassuring in nature when asked if they feel OK.
There was a week long series on BBC local radio about avoiding heart attacks, and it seems we often overlook the warnings when they occur.

In my own case, Lancaster Royal Infirmary tried to discharge me with a Fractured Pelvis which had gone undetected on X-rays - and my telling them I could not sit up unaided carried no weight at all. I was not in pain - "it" (whatever "it" was) just did'nt work when I tried to sit up, but they could not make sense of what I said, because the X-ray was infallible!
I DID have a displaced collarbone, and the next day, it was discovered I had stretched the gap between the 4th and 5th vertebrae - and I spent 8 days in hospital, instead of being discharged!
I feel certain things have moved on in the treatment of obvious injuries, but we need to ensure that those with problems not easily seen are not just allowed to walk away. My experience IN the hospital shows mistakes can be made.
Over to Mad Doc for an opinion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:42 
User

Very sad, especially for the 10-year old grandaughter.
No doubt this incident will be used to justify a cash-collection camera at that location.