Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My First Speeding Ticket
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:30 
New User
New User

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, I got my first speeding ticket after 18 years of endorsement free driving and no accidents. ( whilst drving my girlfriend's car )

This was from the strangely positioned fixed camera along Salthouse Road, which seems to be protecting a straight piece of road with good visibility and no serious accidents that I know of.

I knew the camera was there, and I normally follow the accepted procedure of slowing down to 25mph while going past, but just once I was alone on the road and forget to do this. ( Recorded doing 37 mph )

I am absolutely fuming about this. There was no danger involved, the visibility was good and I could not see how my speed was dangerous.
I have also recently passed my motorbike test, so I am still drilled in the importance of observation.

I would like to know why that camera is positioned there and how many KSIs have occurred there.

Also, has anybody else been 'caught out' at this point?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 
User

Welcome to the UK government's stealth/guilt tax scheme. Please pay at the next window. Have a nice day....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 19:56 
User

You will find the info. you require here... http://www.cumbriasafetycameras.org/library/SiteListAndMap.htm

It says 4 KSI and 4 PIC - which could be 4 fatals, or 4 broken toenails - provided the victims went to hospital with shock.

Dont worry, the reasons used to place the cameras there mean nothing - it's just they need the money to pay the wage bill, and make themselves look good - EGO-warriors fighting on our behalf apparently! :x
The Safety Camera Partnership Manager admits he doesnt need the job or the money..

Steve Callaghan - CSCP manager, on a BBC site wrote:
I don't have any interest whatsoever in keeping my job. I have told you time and time again I don't have to work at all so how would I have any interest whatsoever in attempting to keep up a revenue stream to keep me in a job. I have 2 pensions paying already and business interests that top those up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 20:23 
User

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19480#19480

JJ wrote:
Ernest Marsh wrote:
I just re-read my first post in this thread, and I think we see eye to eye! Double whites all the way through, phantom lane up the southbound hill etc.
What I need to know is has Ian reported this to the Traffic Management Officer as JJ suggested?
And I'm a tad concerned that Ian is letting romanticism cloud the need to keep it safe! :lol:
Quote:
I have a real conflict of interests with Bannerigg. For me it’s an evocative characterful piece of road, which defined to me years since that I was ‘arriving’ at the lakes for my hols. I’d hate to see it sanitised too much. It’d lose its romanticism (for me anyway ).

I dont know how he could pull a motorist for reliving the "old days" when the NSL sign meant de-restricted! :wink:
He obviously doesnt share Steve's "Bah humbug!"views in the Valentines thread now locked away in the CSCP forum archive!

Ernest the traffuc management officers are aware of bannerigg. After your comments last year I got in touch with him and we conducted a traffic survey at the spot. The 85%tile speeds were fine, I did post them on the CSC site for you at the time. One of the problems we have is that even if the 85%ile was high there is a little we could do, due to health an safety issues regarding placment of the van. I would suggest that the way forwrd would be to insist that road engineering is carried out. But the number of seriously injured collisions at that spot would not put it high on the priority list.

JJ

As you can see, even when there is a history of accidents, which only by LUCK have not resulted in serious injury or deaths, the so called "Safety Cameras" cannot be deployed.
Nick Raymond - the County Councils roads officer said something similar of a crossing in Windermere - nobody has been killed, and there have been insufficient serious injury accidents to warrant spending £48,000 on a PELICAN crossing.
Small wonder that now somebody has been killed on Bannerigg, they are busy looking for more excuses to do nothing.

Poor driving standards kill people, but the Government wish to EARN money with cameras, not SPEND it on worthwhile safety improvements which would save lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 14:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:

Steve Callaghan - CSCP manager, on a BBC site wrote:
I don't have any interest whatsoever in keeping my job. I have told you time and time again I don't have to work at all so how would I have any interest whatsoever in attempting to keep up a revenue stream to keep me in a job. I have 2 pensions paying already and business interests that top those up.

Ernest - in these days of conflicting interests, etc etc, and other conflicts at present in the news - has anyone found out what his other business interests are , and if they could conflict with his position. It would be expected that someone of his standing would have declared any conflicts, but some may have been unwittingly missed.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 22:35 
User

Kendal's a big town - it could take ages to track him down! :(

It would be like looking for JJ in his scuba gear, at the local sub-aqua club meeting! :wink: