Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 22:40 

I've just been down the M6 and back today and couldn't help noticing that there is a spectacularly large number of "SPECS" cameras in the road works South of Penrith.

Now I'm not actually that bothered about fixed cameras in contraflows, but I couldn't help thinking that this lot looked like they represented a rather substantial investment on someone's part...

...such a substantial investment as to make me think that maybe they might end up staying there after the roadworks have been completed....?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 22:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Mole wrote:
I've just been down the M6 and back today and couldn't help noticing that there is a spectacularly large number of "SPECS" cameras in the road works South of Penrith.

Now I'm not actually that bothered about fixed cameras in contraflows, but I couldn't help thinking that this lot looked like they represented a rather substantial investment on someone's part...

...such a substantial investment as to make me think that maybe they might end up staying there after the roadworks have been completed....?

No, fixed cameras on 70-limit motorways is the one taboo they haven't broken yet (*). If they were to do so, there would be a massive fanfare - but I suspect they never will, as the lack of results in terms of reduced accidents would be all too obvious to see.

(*) excepting the M25 and A42 VSL sections of course, but I understand the ones on the M25 trigger at 90+ when the limit is set at 70.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 00:47 

Mole, I live 3 miles from J36 so have become well acquainted with the cameras you mention.

But what I also noticed on Friday was a plethora of digital fixed cameras that have suddenly sprung up to enforce the temporary limit in the next set of roadworks north.

What with watching for these, and the SPECS cameras, and for the dreaded talivans hiding on the bridges you barely have a moment left over to glance at the road. Or is that the idea??? :roll:

Given an experience a year ago when I was wrongly accused of speeding by a SPECS camera I'm very wary of the things now. Unlike any other form of mechanised enforcement there seems to be no proper means of corroboration of their reading, so if you go through one that is improperly calibrated, or perhaps "glitches" and gives an incorrect reading then basically you've had it. I know it's entirely wrong, but I have to admit that if the opportunity presents itself I will make a point of keeping the vehicle in front between me and the camera as I pass them. That's not to say I'll then go blasting off and ignore the limit, in fact I'm pretty studious in obeying motorway temporary restrictions and always have been, but I just no longer have any faith in this system to take an accurate reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 04:54 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I am guessing that the oxymoron "safe way" to avoid getting nabbed by SPECS cameras will in the not too distant future become known and practices by reps etc. what am I on about? Tailgating tall lorries of course. What a perfectly safe thing to do... :evil: BUT - people WILL do this to avoid a rap if on a few points. SPECS need to be outlawed too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 14:49 
User

Since the cameras are there to "protect the work force working on the road" it will be interesting to see how many motorists are caught speeding through the works.
After all, none of them get stopped, so those who speed through are STILL RISKING those workers, AND EARNING the scamerati money while doing so!! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 14:21 

Why do they need so many of them? If it's an "average" between two points, surely, the further apart the two points are, the greater the accuracy of the "average"? Someone told me that specs can only handle one lane at a time so the additional pairs are to monitor different lanes. He said that if you change lanes between cameras, they just asume you've evaporated into the ether, they can't realise that your registration in (say) lane 2 is the same as your registration in lane 3 a few seconds later, you just cease to exist.

Is this true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 15:37 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I was asking the very same question in an earlier thread. This was on the M6 northbound (J18-19) and there were 3 sets of cameras. They appeared to be angled towards different lanes and there were signs telling you to stay in your lane. I believe what you’ve been told could be true, but would need someone who is familiar with these types of cameras to confirm.