Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 07:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New scamera site
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 00:37 

Mrs. Mole saw a talivan on the A5086 near Lamplugh this afternoon. Just thought I'd mention it to you chaps. Interestingly, although it was on their schedule, they don't seem to have got round to adding it to their list of scamera van sites!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:13 
User

They have a new agenda Mole, it's called "Make someone's day" :lol:
You would'nt want them to spoil it by letting the intended victims know WHERE they will be would you??

Post subject: Re: New scamera site
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 09:38 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Mole wrote:
Mrs. Mole saw a talivan on the A5086 near Lamplugh this afternoon. Just thought I'd mention it to you chaps. Interestingly, although it was on their schedule, they don't seem to have got round to adding it to their list of scamera van sites!

Its a 15% site under the speed complaints protocol so is not listed as a core site, however it will be the schedule which comes out a fortnight in advance.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:22 

A what?????

What on earth is a 15% site when it's at home?

"Speed complaints protocol"????

Do explain please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:28 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

It really is amazing. You folk are setting yourselves up as experts in road safety and as opponents to the DfT system and you don't even have a knowledge of RULE 1.

Get with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:33 
Site Admin

JJ wrote:
It really is amazing. You folk are setting yourselves up as experts in road safety and as opponents to the DfT system and you don't even have a knowledge of RULE 1.

Get with it!

This forum is open to the public. Why don't you afford the public the courtesy they deserve and answer the question? You are, after all, a public servant of sorts, and you would do well to remember that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:34 

JJ wrote:

Get with it!

Rather than being an offensive dweeb why don't you just inform the man?
AIUI mole (please feel free to correct me JJ)
Guidelines require n casualties within x years at a site, where d percent of drivers exceed the posted limit, except for 15% of sites which may be placed purely for revenue raising purposes, sorry I meant 'where some 120 year old NIMBY has copmplained about motorist making progress'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 13:51 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Einion Yrth wrote:
JJ wrote:

Get with it!

Rather than being an offensive dweeb why don't you just inform the man?
AIUI mole (please feel free to correct me JJ)
Guidelines require n casualties within x years at a site, where d percent of drivers exceed the posted limit, except for 15% of sites which may be placed purely for revenue raising purposes, sorry I meant 'where some 120 year old NIMBY has copmplained about motorist making progress'.

Must admit I thought you would have all got to grips with this one since we have debating safety cameras for the last 2 years ( I was been polite using debate) under the rules of the safety cameras we are alowed to enforce for 15% of the total time spent at core sites at other locations. for instance if we have spent 100 hours at core sites in a month then we can spend 15 hours at other sites known as exceptional sites.

These Exceptional sites are selected using the speed complaints protocol. This is a system where a complaint from the member of the public is investigated by the police Traffic Management officers and if found to be suitable, will be checked for excessive speed and collisions we will try to assist assist. These sites are included in our weekly schedule and will be signed using temporary camera signs.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 15:53 

JJ wrote:
An answer to mole's question

Thank you JJ, now that wasn't so hard was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 17:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JJ wrote:
for instance if we have spent 100 hours at core sites in a month then we can spend 15 hours at other sites known as exceptional sites.

It must be a right nightmare having to spend 15 hours a site where few people are exceeding the limit because it's unsafe. Good job you can rush off to the 'core' sites which has proven revenue raising capacity. I suppose one benefit might be that you discover a new hidded gem of a site which, while presenting no danger and having no history of collisions is a nice little earner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 23:19 

JJ wrote:

Get with it!

Oh well, I guess that's what you get for biting your lip and asking nicely!

Still since you mentioned "experts" JJ, did you hear the one about the bunch of "experts" who spent 2 years fleecing motorists in Cumbria in the name of "safety" and actually saw deaths RISE????

Good joke eh! :lol:

oh my aching sides....

Now, for what its worth, let's get a few things straight shall we?

1. Road safety is a complex subject and comprises MANY fields of expertise. People who try to fool themselves into thinking that theirs is the only field of expertise that's important...

...well, we've been seeing what happens to them for the last two years, haven't we?

2. Well, since you mention it, YES, I do consider myslef to have certain "expertise" in ONE of the relevant fields but the "letter" of the law on scamera placement isn't that field.

3. Unlike your notsogoodselves, we don't get paid (by large numbers of completely harmless motorists) to know these rules. We all have real jobs to do and have to try and fight for justice in our spare time.

So there, you go. Run along now and don't bother trying to lecture any of us on "safety" until you've achieved some!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 14:15 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Capri2.8i wrote:
JJ wrote:
for instance if we have spent 100 hours at core sites in a month then we can spend 15 hours at other sites known as exceptional sites.

It must be a right nightmare having to spend 15 hours a site where few people are exceeding the limit because it's unsafe. Good job you can rush off to the 'core' sites which has proven revenue raising capacity. I suppose one benefit might be that you discover a new hidded gem of a site which, while presenting no danger and having no history of collisions is a nice little earner.

I told you what we do. we do not do as you state again thats your opinion not ours.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 14:55 
User

JJ,

Quote:
I told you what we do. we do not do as you state again thats your opinion not ours.

Well....

If you always do what you've always done,
you will always get what you've always got.

i.e. no reduction in fatalities QED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:46 
User

Quote:
JJ said: RULE 1: we can stick them where we see fit, but usually in the most profitable position for a cash grab. You know we're not interested in the public's safety, our record on killing people makes that plain enough.
Now, if you dont like what we do, tough! Lets have a look in your wallets.....

Yeah i know he didnt actually SAY it, but he may as well have. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 21:10 
User

Einion Yrth wrote:
Rather than being an offensive dweeb [JJ] why don't you just inform the man?
<<snip>>

then JJ wrote:
under the rules of the safety cameras we are alowed to enforce for 15% of the total time spent at core sites at other locations. for instance if we have spent 100 hours at core sites in a month then we can spend 15 hours at other sites known as exceptional sites. These Exceptional sites are selected using the speed complaints protocol. This is a system where a complaint from the member of the public is investigated by the police Traffic Management officers and if found to be suitable, will be checked for excessive speed and collisions we will try to assist.

Sounds like the spun and unspun version of the same thing to me. I'll leave you all to work out who I think the spin-doctor is!

Incidentally, Einion - spend enough time here and you will learn to recognise the 'two faces' of JJ.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 21:58 
User

JJ wrote:
Must admit I thought you would have all got to grips with this one since we have debating safety cameras for the last 2 years ( I was been polite using debate) under the rules of the safety cameras we are alowed to enforce for 15% of the total time spent at core sites at other locations. for instance if we have spent 100 hours at core sites in a month then we can spend 15 hours at other sites known as exceptional sites.

So thats why I never see you on my regular route passing 5 CSCP sites, you'll all up the Lakes clocking up the tourists to make some cash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 22:25 
User

With apologies to Bing Crosby!

"Busy Doing Nothing"

We're busy doing nothing, working all day through,
we're trying to find lots of things not to do.
We're busy going nowhere, isn't it such a crime ?
we'd like to be unhappy but we never do have the time.

I have to watch the river to see that it doesn't stop,
and stick around the rosebuds so they'll know when to pop.
Better keep those crickets cheerful,they're really a solemn bunch,
farso, farso. I never have the time for lunch.

I'd like to meet a turtle, and teach him how to swim,
then I have to shine the dew-drops, they're looking rather dim.
Meet my friend the robin and buy him a brand new vest.
Farso, farso, I never have time to rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 23:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JJ wrote:
we do not do as you state again thats your opinion not ours.

I suspect I'm not alone in this opinion. It is certainly is my expierence of Lancashire and W.Yorkshire SCP as well as my infrequent visits to Cumbria. Never I have I seen a talivan in a position where speed in excesse of the speed limit would be a hazard. Its not like you can do anything about dangerous driving. What use is trying to send a NIP to an unregisterd car for grossly excessive speed though a residential area? Not that you'd be in a residential area anyway. Best to stick to the wide open single carriagways with few hazards eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 09:25 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Capri2.8i wrote:
JJ wrote:
we do not do as you state again thats your opinion not ours.

I suspect I'm not alone in this opinion. It is certainly is my expierence of Lancashire and W.Yorkshire SCP as well as my infrequent visits to Cumbria. Never I have I seen a talivan in a position where speed in excesse of the speed limit would be a hazard. Its not like you can do anything about dangerous driving. What use is trying to send a NIP to an unregisterd car for grossly excessive speed though a residential area? Not that you'd be in a residential area anyway. Best to stick to the wide open single carriagways with few hazards eh?

In the main residental areas are 30mph or even 20 mph zones accidents tend to be slight with the occasional serious or worse. The criteria which we have to work to would not allow us operate in thses areas, as accidents do not cluster, we do have a number of sites in cumbria at Milnthorpe road, appelby road, shap road and burton road for instance that does meet the DFT criteria. Get government to change the rules and you would see us in more of these areas.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:16 

JJ wrote:
Get government to change the rules and you would see us in more of these areas.

JJ

I personally don't want to see you at all, since your inception road deaths in Cumbria would appear to have risen - good job, not.