Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: At last
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 20:08 
User

This was on the BBC today..http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/4541523.stm
It was previously in Barrow, with some success, now it's spreading to West Cumbria.
How about it Mole, are you likely to try it our for us? :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 20:27 

Hold on a minute...must read the small print.

Quote:
Certain drivers breaking the speed limit will be offered the chance to receive special speed awareness training rather than face prosecution.

I suspect that it will be a few drivers who are just over the limit. Maybe they will even drop the prosecution threshhold to maintain the number of FPNS.

There is no way they are going to sacrifice revenue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 21:42 
User

Barrow's RESPECT was 35 to 40 for the course. They also had a caravan which could be parked close to the cameras, and you got to go straight in and see your film! Not sure how it was deployed, as I never showed up on their radar! :lol:

Steve was rather disparaging when I mentioned it on the CSCP forum, but I believe he was on some panel assessing it's merits or other!
The RESPECT operator I spoke to was even more disparaging about the CSCP cameras though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 13:27 

You can almost smell the desperation can't you?! In an age where just about every profession is paid depending on results, this crowd of parasites can get away with regular increases in fatalities ever since they started their "work"! (unless, of course, those weren't the "results" the governement had in mind...)

If it wasn't because my licence is so vital to me and because they seem to have left themselves plenty of scope for "adjusting" the goal posts, it would be quite a laugh to go along and see what their "course" in speed awareness has to offer. I guess (never having been to one 'cause I'm such a law-abiding driver :D ) that they tell you that speed kills and you can either say "yes sir, no sir, three-bags-full, sir" or you can try to have a reasoned, sensible, objective argument with them - in which case you'll just get the points and the fine!

I'm currently just looking at the VOSA leaflet on speed limiters and the proposal to reduce motorway speed limits for smaller trucks and thinking "oh dear, here comes another spectacular own-goal! It was bad enough trying to get past 2 trucks overtaking each other "on the limiter" before. Now there's going to be utter carnage!