Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 22:53 
User

I notice from the CSCP schedules a Talivan will be operating at Ings (A591) on Tuesday and Wednesday.

This confirms beyond any doubt what an abject failure CSCP's decision to install fixed speed cameras at Ings has been.

Apart from, of course, their revenue raising... :twisted:

For the benefit of any viewers not familar with the area - it's the main road from the M6 into the southern Lakes, which strangely enough, carries much traffic not resident in Cumbria :wink:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 23:56 
User

An average of 70,000 vehicles a day, according to Cumbria County Council figures.

None speed related accidents have been used to justify the cameras in a 40 mph... and accidents still happen either side of the limited area!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:54 
User

Oh, how the cash rolls in!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 13:51 
User

Indeed, £1.6m at the last count.... :!:

Any bookmakers (sorry, Turf Accountants) out there care to offer odds on 2004/5's revenue raised?

I'd reckon about Evens for £2m....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 14:40 
User

One noticeable thing is the way the offence of speeding has, in the eyes of the majority, become a very minor matter. So many ordinary people now have 3 points or more for this very minor offence that there is now no stigma. Even insurance companies are not loading premiums for even those with over 6 points and, as a recruitment consultant, the days are long past when a company seeking, say, a project engineer or field service technician specify 'full and CLEAN licence'. It's just 'Full Licence' these days.
The numbers of those driving whilst disqualified is also increasing and they stand less chance of being caught due to less traffic patrols. The ANPR's won't catch them either as the vehicles being driven are taxed and insured, but not in their names.
Eventually speeding will become downgraded as an offence, just as smoking cannabis has, because the numbers caught doing it show it as socially acceptable. I'm not talking about driving at a dangerous speed here, just the exceeding of the limit by a small amount - i.e. what the scameras are set-up to detect.
But, so long as the cash rolls in maybe no-one in authority can see this, or even wants to see this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 21:44 

I couldn't agree more. In fact I think this is largely why they proposed to increase the fines but give fewer points for "minor" indiscretions. You've got to hand it to them - it's a canny business strategy! They get more money out of us AND they let us do it more often before banning us AND (the best bit) they "sell" us the idea as a way of maintaining road safety (yes, it's just a few cynics who think death rates are rising!) whilst making some sort of grand gesture to the motorist just so we'll think they're nice people!

I think I might devise myself a new "tag-line". How about

"I wish I could be really crap at my job and still get paid!"