Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 20:49 
User

CSCP have still not published confirmation of April's sorry tale.

Whenever the figures are bad, they take weeks to publish them; yet when they're "good" they release them very quickly :roll:

I think we will find April 2007 to have been the worst month for KSI's since CSCP started up in business :shock: So much for them reducing casualties.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 01:04 
User

kendalian wrote:
CSCP have still not published confirmation of April's sorry tale.

Whenever the figures are bad, they take weeks to publish them; yet when they're "good" they release them very quickly :roll:

I think we will find April 2007 to have been the worst month for KSI's since CSCP started up in business :shock: So much for them reducing casualties.

And matters are not improving - a motorist had to be cut from his car at Staveley this morning.... again. There are now a collection of stats for Staveley, ranging from cars trying to avoid a (dead) badger (5 vehicles involved!) to somebody perfoming a U-turn in heavy drizzle on the Staveley Bypass because they had missed the turning for the A590 a few miles back!
Not sure how fast the badger was travelling, but a speed camera should fix it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 19:08 
User

Well the April figures are out.... and what an appalling tale they tell!!

2006 (a near record year for fatalities) 13 deaths 72 seriously injured

2007 figures to date for same period 18 deaths 132 seriously injured

Of course it's wrong to take a few statistics out of context and extrapolate that to the whole year - as Steve Callaghan found out to his dismay in 2004!
Quote:
Dear All
I am the Safety CAmera Manager for Cumbria and have recently posted this on my Website Discussion Forum:

Well I never.

Just done a quick Calculation and fatals are down 26% for the first third of the year compared with 2003. Isn't that marvellous.

And Serious Injuries down 44% compared to 2003

KSI's down 42% compared to 2003

For once I have to agree with our friend Mr Smith, KSI's, in particular SI's are doing strange things, but this sort of strange I can handle!

Perhaps I better call the BBC
Now I have heard a lot of nonsense spoken about how speed cameras are making the situation regarding accidents worse. Mainly from folk who are sitting at their keyboard and typing whimsical ideas about safety om the road. Well up in Cumbria the major (even step)downward change in killed and serious injuries has occured just after the safety camera partnership started to operate speed cameras in the safety system.
This has been a partnership with the Council, The Highways Agency, The Magistrates Courts Service and Cumbria Constabulary.
The speed enforcement function is very much a pertnership between the Police and the Camera Team, supported by our other partners.
We are open and we welcome feedback and discourse with the public.
Every one of our detractors has been issued with a speeding ticket.
There is a mixture of those with and without tickets among our supporters.
We are looking to be making quite a difference here in Cumbria and it proves those postulating deskbound non-practitioners are just not right. I'm willing to bet most have speeding tickets.
Check out our figures on www.cumbriasafetycameras.org they look nothing like what has been proposed by your man from the RAC desk.

Happy and Safe Motoring to all
SteveC "

By Steve Callaghan in South Lakeland - on 22 May 2004 at 19:19

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 19:19 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

No wonder they want speed cameras everywhere, they were obviously quaking in their boots. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 22:09 
User

Are CSCP still 9 short of meeting their 2010 target :?:

NO :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 01:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kendalian wrote:
Are CSCP still 9 short of meeting their 2010 target :?:

NO :evil:

They will put out a press release saying they would have made the target expect some people drove really badly and if they drove better they would have made it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:14 

A little soon for show boating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 00:41 
User

Seriously injureds up nearly 50% so far this year. :(

May figures just out. Fatals still higher than last years record number of fatalities to date.

Maybe if they were not so keen on catching raceaways, and trawling internet forums, they might save a few lives instead of maximising their revenue! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 13:46 
User

They really are hopeless, aren't they?
First of all they target enforcement on what they claim to be the most dangerous roads. They then claim that casualties have fallen by some magical figure which, as we (and they) know is just an illusion caused by regression to the mean.
Now that overall casualties are, adly, much higher than prior to their silly cameras, they decide to stop concentrating on the so-called 'hot-spots' and go for random camera placements.
Surely they realise that this will not change the situation at all, but they do need to 'spin' their way out of the hole they have dug for themselves over the past 3 or 4 years.
If they disappeared tomorrow it would have no adverse impact on the casualty figures, but then they would lose their jobs and the revenues they generate would be gone also.
It really does make you wonder what sort of people they are. Perhaps i'm from the 'old school', but I couldn't do a job in which I achieved nothing and got paid for it, whilst at the same time being a party to 'economy of the truth' in order to try to justify my continuing to take my salary every month.
Toilet cleaner in a whorehouse is a more honest occupation than theirs :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 00:19 

...and probably more useful too :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 18:37 
User

June figures are out at last.
Seriously injured STILL higher than last year... as are slights!

2006 to June Fatal 26 S.I. 120 Slight injured 937
2007 to June Fatal 23 S.I. 172 Slight injured 949

At least Fatals are now below last years record numbers... but only equal to 2004 and still higher than 2005! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 18:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Maybe you can put the reduction down to the weather, I’d imagine the lakes has been allot quieter this year? Or will they put it down to the flurry of hidden cameras we’ve been told about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 17:56 
User

It is now the 14th of January, and there are still no figures on the CSCP site for November :(
I dont suppose the wagon has left town? :shock:
They managed to correct the missing February stats, and delete the Safer Roads for Cumbria figures in quick order, so what do you think is keeping them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:31 
User

Well the NOVEMBER figures are finally up. 45 Fatals to date, equaling 2005's FINAL figure.

I notice that at the fatal accident this week on the A590, several people were reportedly hospitalised with shock.

The road was closed for most of the day at Haverthwaite - a village with a mission to improve it's access onto the A590, where a SHORT stretch of dual carriageway straddles the turnings for the village on one side, and the Lakeside/Haverthwaite steam railway.

I have never seen the logic of increasing traffic speeds where a busy tourist location is situated.
This is especially in view of the fact that some of the trains have Thomas the Tank Engine faces on, which can be seen from across the road - a sure encouragement for unsupervised children to be tempted to ignore the peril of crossing such a busy road.

Plans have been submitted to make a heritage centre with parking in the village, and build a tunnel under the main road to reach the railway.
Seems perfectly sensible - but there is opposition in some quarters!!