The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 01:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 16:30 
Site Admin

SERNIS wrote:
Intelligent Ice Detector System
Thursday, October 04, 2012 by Sernis

SR-IDS Intelligent Ice Detector is an integrated system developed by SERNIS to detect the possibility of ice formation on roads and, at the same time, alert drivers with visual warnings so they can reduce their speed and drive carefully.

The device incorporates a humidity sensor and an intelligent temperature reader at soil level. Sensors are monitored by a controller and a receiver that communicates with the Remote Ice Adviser every time it detects the possibility of ice formation.

The Remote Ice Adviser triggers the warning system with visual signs, such as the ICE Adviser Signal, SR-45 studs or others, to notify drivers about the dangerous conditions. Dangerous signs will keep operating until effective humidity and temperature stabilises again.

Since it is a low-power device, SR-IDS can work with solar energy and be applied in any point of a road or pavement, even in the most critical places. The system also uses high-quality road stud, SR-45, which able to support weight up to 120t and resist to the passage of snow plough machines.

The SERNIS Intelligent Ice Detector is extremely helpful in preventing road accidents on black ice conditions, once it uses the latest technology to detect in real time the probabilities of ice formation.
Overall I think a good idea IF they work reliably and consistently as people will start to rely on them and assume safe if they are not 'on'.
:)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 22:09 

Difficult one. There's 7 miles of road between me and the main road. In winter, this road is gritted pretty well, but I've seen odd patches where either the gritter has missed a bit or maybe where gritting of the whole road hasn't taken place because it wasn't too cold, but just locally, there's been a patch of slippy stuff. It's difficult to see how a sensor in one patch of road can speak for another patch 100 yards further on. OK, it might give a general indication that there MAY be ice in the vicinity, but I sometimes feel that the more help you give people, the more dependent they become on that help and the less they figure out for themselves (e.g. people with sat-navs driving up goat tracks that they really wouldn't have if they'd ben reading an old-fashioned map)! Overall, no serious objections (just more general roadside "clutter"that in the UK, will serve little purpose for most of the year), but I definitely have a slight fear that it could mislead.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 22:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Similar thoughts. And how would these sensors detect portions of road first thing in the morning where the sun might not have been strng enough to melt any overnight frost? Most modern cars hav e an external temperature sensor, but how many drivers recognise it. I feel it's pandering to the idea that if the sensors don't detect ice/frost in this bit,I'm safe . Similar idea to the SCP teachings.