Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 13:35 

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/articles.as ... =158396092

Do we really need a sign warning us of potholes?

To me that would be a big slap in the face for motorists. I would say to me..."we know we've got potholes but we can't be bothered to fix them, you have been warned now get on with it."

Now I don't know what a sign would cost to manufacture and install but I would sooner have that money spent on pothole repair than littering up the Country with signs saying, "basically we've given up, this roads cr@@ and always will be so live with it."

Does this mean, that after another hard winter, instead of pothole gangs we should expect to see " pothole sign gangs" replacing them?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 14:30 
Gold Member
Gold Member

[cynic mode]

The only way to get potholes repaired is to get the cycling lobby to campaign hard for this. They could say that the prevalence of poor road surfaces is a great disincentive to people to cycle to work. That should get huge and unlimited funds diverted to filling in holes.

There is no point motorists lobbying for repairs as it is Government "policy" to get people out of cars and the more miserable they can make driving, the better.

[/cynic mode]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 14:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well you nearly stole my thunder there Grabby. I was reading this a couple of weeks ago along with quite a few other news items on them.

I must say, having travelled much or Europe, this coutry is the worst IMO. I guess in their defence the U.K. is very small and over-populated with a corresponding extra workload to carry, but even so..

Just lately I find I'm not the only one who uses the argument going thus: We can bail the bankers out to the tune of billions but we can't (insert thing which needs doing here).

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 15:22 

I've just had a fantastic idea for a great money saving idea...INSTEAD OF signs saying "this road may contain potholes", why not just signpost the roads without potholes as "pothole free"...."suitable for motorists/cyclists/anyone who doesn't want a twisted ankle",
that way they won't have to sign many roads and they can eventually rip them up as the road "returns to normal" (i.e. gets a few potholes) thus selling the signs as scrap and recycling....there, I've just saved the country billions...;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 16:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No no no! You’ve got it all wrong.

Assess every road which is nice and smooth and put barriers at the entrances and exits which become paid for, like a toll road. That way not only do you force ne'er-do-well’s like me to travel over the crappie roads but also make it further for me, (using more fuel), and unpleasent to get to my destination.

This will be such a disincentive for us ‘pond life’ we will just gladly give up our cars thereby paving the way to the ultimate goal – an elitist mode of transport for the rich.

Okay Grabs? :lol:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 16:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

BT wrote:
...an elitist mode of transport for the rich.

We have got this already. It's the railways.

Who travels on the mainline railways in peak times? (I exclude commuters into London from this.)

BBC executives, MPs, Rail employees, business executives, higher grade Civil servants...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 16:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That’s right Malcolm, although I’m sure I read or heard something recently about changes to the way trains are run.

From memory, and in principle, it went something like this: You get trains jam packed with people going to work leaving at, (I don’t know but let’s say), 7:00 a.m. because people are prepared to get to their destination too early for the sake of paying twice as much half an hour later?

The alternative is to get the right train to get to work at the right time but at silly money. As a result no-one wants to use the later one, resulting in this ridiculous situation.

So I thought they were talking about changing the times and tariffs of peak travel to help with this absurd use of resources? I know someone who gets some pretty good deals so long as he dances to off-peak times.

I remember, where ever I heard it, you've got one train full-to-bursting and the very next one virtually empty because of this. :loco:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 17:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

So they're going to dig a hole in the road, place a pole in that hole, fill in that hole (to make sure the pole doesn't fall over) and place a sign on that pole, then maintain it for gawd knows how long - all instead of simply filling the actual hole in the road?

Further to that: when ... if they ever fill in that hole, then they would have to dig a hole to remove the previously placed sign, then fill that hole too.

What did I miss?
(granted some roads could be like Swiss cheese)

I'm guessing some cyclists will think this sign would be more appropriate:
Attachment:
cyclist warning.PNG [52.24 KiB]
Downloaded 211 times

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 22:16 
User

Maintain signs...???? Which planet are you from? :shock:

Once it's up, that's it! They don't even clean them in this neck of the woods... unless it threatens their income from the speed cameras!