Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 14:33 
User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-13647995

According to Police, extra patrols have been responsible for a drop of nearly 50% in the number of crashes on roads in Allerdale. :bluelight:

BBC News wrote:
Allerdale road crashes halved police say

Crashes on west Cumbria's roads during a two-month period fell by half, new police figures have revealed.

In Allerdale between March and May there were 48 collisions compared to the same period last year when there were 97 - a drop of almost 50%.

Police said Allerdale was a crash hotspot with many of the drivers being under the age of 25.

The force said it had reduced crashes by putting on extra patrols in the area and prosecuted 400 drivers last year.

These have been for a range of offences including drinking and driving, driving while on the phone and failing to wear a seatbelt, police said.

A spokesman for Cumbria Police said: "Visible patrols acted as a deterrent to speeding and dangerous driving, and anyone caught was apprehended and educated about the consequences of their actions, in the hope of improving their driving behaviour."

Great to see a positive measure taken, and that offending drivers were stopped immediately instead of being allowed to continue on their way unhindered! :bluelight:

Apart from listing seat belt use - which has no potential to CAUSE an accident, everything else is aimed at making the roads safer.
I see they even make a distinction between speeding, and dangerous driving! :thumbsup:

I wonder why they didn't rely on the CSCP camera vans?
It is about time they made them redundant and put the money spent on wages and equipment to better use!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 02:40 
User

EM, You know CSCP will never get rid of their scamera vans, too much of a cash cow. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:53 

Good news indeed!

However, as with camera partnership figures, I think we need to be careful with stats over such a short time span - especially as the recession starts to bite. There may well be other confounding factors too - I mean, for all we know, CSCP might have deployed a couple more scamera patrols than usual in Allerdale ofver that period. (which would, of course, explain it)! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 19:29 
User

I have seen less vans round Allerdale, they seem to spend a fair bit of time on the M6 in spots where are very little accidents!! :scratchchin:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 22:15 
User

The Highway Man wrote:
I have seen less vans round Allerdale, they seem to spend a fair bit of time on the M6 in spots where are very little accidents!! :scratchchin:

Maybe they are out to get Colin Montgomery? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 01:57 
Site Admin

It is great to hear of more patrols out and about and the interaction I hope with the public is not always to prosecute only, but it sounds encouraging, even if the true benefit is less than has been reported once accounting for less traffic (recession).
Some reports suggest that more people are taking UK breaks and holidays so that figure may raise the traffic volumes of course.

It would be good to see the volume of traffic figures over the same period, for the last 10 - 25 years, (to inc yrs prior to cameras) as this helps to view the true picture and 'indicate' the differences.
if the Police 'feel' it is helping and it must help them feel that they have a real purpose and get better interaction with the public too, this will all help them to persuade the Council to spend the money on more patrols and sound science - I sincerely hope.