Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 17:37 

Dept for Transport say that child pedestrian casualties are up by 75% on 2008.

Shouldn't they seriously be looking at teaching children better road safety, more so than penalising motorists, with 20MPH zones that won't work if kids can't cross the road safely or wear the appropriate clothing in the dark?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 17:48 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Do you have a link for this? As a global figure it sounds a bit dubious :?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 18:18 

Tonight's Shropshire Star but then again they do make mistakes...perhaps 75% is a misprint?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 18:28 

Maybe hang fire on this until I can get further figures? that 75% might just be Shropshire but it does seem high.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 03:06 
User

At my local Town Council meetings we get crime figure updates from the police representative.

Early this year, car crime went up 100% in just one month - from ONE stolen vehicle to TWO!!

The following month saw it fall back 50% from TWO to just ONE. It then dropped by 100% when NO cars were stolen that month AT ALL!!

Percentages are great for creating nearly any sort of trend you wish to invent. All you need is to pick your sample data from the right period!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 20:07 
User

I have not found the figure quoted yet, but thought this was interesting, as it related numbers of fatalities and injuries to numbers of miles travelled.
http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/UsefulReports/Walking%20cycling%20and%20transport%20safety%20an%20analysis%20of%20child.pdf

Take a look and see if you can make sense of it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 15:16 
User

Dont know whether this report will be of any interest to folks...

North West Casualty Stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 18:51 
User

Sadly,....We have just had an example of this on the news haven't we, in Yorkshire where a young boy was killed. Now I don't know the circumstances or anything but....... the first thing that my wife said was: "What was a pair of 5 and 6yr old's doing beside a main road on their own?"
The young driver of the car left the scene it seems......an offence in itself. But it seems to us that there also lies some parental responsibility here.

Later yesterday I took the wife to the shops.. I was driving on a B road when suddenly a football followed by "I guess" a boy of around 10 yrs old shot across the road in front of me. I braked as he ran across......no harm done then. Only to hear the blare of a car horn from behind, checking my rear view mirror I saw that the lad had retrieved the ball and turned to run straight back across the road in front of another car going the opposite way! It was very close too! I doubt that the lad will reach 15 if he carries on like that...