Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 00:21 
User

I'll kick off.

1) Better training of drivers. Also, does the theoretical part of the test work? Or would it be better to have a short theoretical section and much more practical assessment? Like maybe a two part assessment/driving test?

2) Better training of pedestrians, especially children.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 01:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think that anyone failing their driving test three times should have to pass a psychiatric profile and IQ test to continue - there are many people out there behind the wheels of cars who really are not mentally equipped to be effective drivers.

Also, the hazard perception part of the theory test is bunkum - it's like assuming that someone who can complete 'Need For Speed' on the X-Box has the same driving perceptions as Michael Schumacher in his F1 Ferrari - completely different perceptive mechanisms are at work viewing a computer screen to looking out of a windscreen...

Removing the Government assumption that all drivers a criminals waiting to be caught wouldn't go amiss either!

Licat volare si super tergum aquila volat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 15:04 

MGBGT, I can see part of the point but given the test is a farce I can't agree.

Ok it took me six attempts at the driving test.

1. Failed for incorrect emergency stop - the examiner didn't hear the tyres squeeling. Hang on that woulkd have meant that the car was in a skid, I thought it was supposed to be controlled.

2. Poor observation - He decided this as I wasn't moving my head enough.

3. Excessive head movement - WTF !!!

4. Not being aggressive enough

5. Being too aggresive

6. Despite stalling the car, misjudging a gap and creeping over the limit I managed to pass.

A complete farce !!

Since passing I've completed my IAM Advanced driving test and had the benefit of Police Class 1 training.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 16:00 
Life Member
Life Member

1. Clarity of road layout
2. sepperation of pedestrians and cyclyists from heavier traffic
clear crossing points
3. uncongested roads encouraging motorists away from the villages and suberbs. expand the motorway network.
4. well draining road surfaces
5. stop 24 hour drinking
6. educate pedestrians
7. elected police chiefs and highways bosses

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 23:30 
Site Admin

Thatsnews wrote:
1) Better training of drivers. Also, does the theoretical part of the test work? Or would it be better to have a short theoretical section and much more practical assessment? Like maybe a two part assessment/driving test?
2) Better training of pedestrians, especially children.

1) On the basis that experience is one of the best ways to learn how to drive, how about we 'give' them this before they get on the road - so lets have a whole host of driving 'games' / dvd or even simulators. So rather than 'hazard perception 'tests' which have (did for motorbike test), nothing to do with real life, and teach next to nothing about 'potential hazards' but how to understand when to click to gain the maximum points. :shock:

I think that understanding signs are important, and for some it has to be a 'learning' exercise but there could be loads of ways in which this can be treated with much more fun, and 'reality' than the 'paper' test.
But we all learn differently. Part of this is that we are also taught differently, so to match the right teacher, with the right pupil, is first necessary to understand how you learn, and then to look for the right teacher - or vice-versa.
I think that the first year of driving should include FREE on-going training. We have proved that with the current test - in principal is working, but could be improved. There is I think a balance of ongoing 'real world' experience that you need to start to draw from to help you understand and to develop your growing skills.
Training has show to improve driving despite some of the down-sides.

I like the idea of a graduated license that helps to encourage more training, so that the gained 'abilities' are 'rewarded' in this is self perpetuating self improvement safer driving scheme.

I like the information films ! (In another thread, I am proposing that *we* start making them again) ...
These films can cover all aspects of road care, from pedestrians, cyclists, horse and bike riders, car and lorry drivers etc ...
Then again we could start driver / rider education for children (like the States) but do it 'our' way of course ... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 01:52 

VAS. Polite, non-threatening, cheap and highly effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 
Life Member
Life Member

antera309 wrote:

But distracting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 15:25 
User

anton wrote:
1. Clarity of road layout
2. Seperation of pedestrians and cyclists from heavier traffic
clear crossing points
3. Uncongested roads encouraging motorists away from the villages and suburbs. Expand the motorway network.
4. Well draining road surfaces
5. Stop 24 hour drinking
6. Educate pedestrians
7. Elected police chiefs and highways bosses
1. In other words, less traffic calming?
2. Pedestrains and cyclists always seem to want the same - or more - freedom of movement as vehicles, and then demand restrictions on vehicles' freedom of movement on the basis that vehicles are more hardy than peds and cyclists, so that pedestrains and cyclists don't have to learn anything. It's not like you need a license to cross the street, right?
(My outward facing palm can stop a two ton vehicle traveling above the posted speed 'limit'! Newton can kiss my @$$!)
3. This makes so much sense, that the American government, for the most part, has explicitly stated that this pretty much ISN'T going to happen.
4. Easier to say than to allocate into a budget. Or is that what scameras are for?
5. As far as driving is concerned, good idea, but sounds a bit sanctimonious, no?
6. Yea, right. See Response #2. If they don't need a license, it will take DECADES to get pedestrians and cyclists to teach them anything. Parents are the only feasible solution here.
7. That would be an improvement. Generally, in New York City, officers are hired. They aren't much better than scameras; preprogrammed revenue generators who would rather set up a speed trap all day than catch one drunk (American English) driver.
States where law enforcement personnel are elected by the people directly have much less to fear as drivers than NYC.

2) Nothing gets hit, except to protect others; see Rule#1
3) The Laws of Physics are invincible and immutable - so-called 'laws' of men are not
4) You are always immediately and ultimately responsible for your safety first, then proximately responsible for everyone's
Do not let other road users' mistakes become yours, nor yours become others
5) The rest, including laws of the land, is thoughtful observation, prescience, etiquette, decorum, and cooperation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 02:06 

antera309 wrote:

But over used and abused it will lose it's effectiveness.

Lately I've seen a lot spring up, too many set below the speed limit or the average traffic speed or both.

I know of one placed just within a 30mph zone, which picks up vehicles speeds while still in the adjacent 50mph zone, but it is set to trigger at around 30, result it is on almost permanently. Had another the other day flashing "30 slow down" at a solid line of traffic moving at around 20mph.

I suspect it's a concerted effort to discredit VAS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 08:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Homer wrote:
antera309 wrote:

But over used and abused it will lose it's effectiveness.

Lately I've seen a lot spring up, too many set below the speed limit or the average traffic speed or both.

I drove past one yesterday in a line of traffic all doing the 40mph limit. The sign was permanently on. Stupid, as everyone will ignore it in future. They should be set at limit + 10mph.

Do these VASs record speed? Can I expect a mobile camera there soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:41 
Life Member
Life Member

In the interests of road safety, I personally believe we should ban the wearing of hats in non-soft top cars.

Empirically I have noticed a high correlation between hat-wearing of any type, and bad driving.

Go on, name me a type of hat that doesn't make you think "bad driver" if you see one being worn!

Though I've been known to wear a wooly hat first thing in the morning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 15:09 
User

The point about hats is right. Baseball cap = boy racer. Homburg or other similar type, 20mph at all times! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 18:01 
Life Member
Life Member

Did anyone else see the Fifth gear article with Tom talking about crashing into a tree and the road survey ? At the end he mentioned that a speed camera could reduce accidents by 10% but a bit of white paint could reduce accidents by 35%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 00:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Johnnytheboy wrote:
In the interests of road safety, I personally believe we should ban the wearing of hats in non-soft top cars.

Empirically I have noticed a high correlation between hat-wearing of any type, and bad driving.

Go on, name me a type of hat that doesn't make you think "bad driver" if you see one being worn!

Though I've been known to wear a wooly hat first thing in the morning...

I've come to this conclusion too! I can't think of any reason why it should be the case though. (I'm glad you excused us soft-top drivers - as a slaphead I need my cap when the sun is out!)

I've also noticed a match between bad driving and "fish symbols" on cars.

to sink your ship of fools

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 00:21 

prof beard wrote:
I've also noticed a match between bad driving and "fish symbols" on cars.

Ah yes, the ones who believe that they are being protected by their gods, it doesn't matter how they drive no harm can come to them.
Best avoided.