The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Road Accident Statistics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 15:59 
New User
New User

Can anyone help?

I am trying to find out a ture breakdown of car accidents. Not how many Fatal or serious injuries as these are easy to get. What i am looking for is a resource of the true figure of accidents, causes etc. Not just those that are attended to by the police

Is there data out there from insurance companies?

Can anyone help?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 16:30 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Hi.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, perhaps someone else can.
My curiosity has got the better of me - can I ask why you want this information?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 17:37 
Life Member
Life Member

The Police will have causation / contributory data for all serious and fatal collisions. Since the data will be compiled after the incident, I am not sure how reliable it will be.

I don't think it is going to be possible to locate causation data for collisions that occur that do not involve the police (damage only) as this would rely on each party providing accurate information at the time of the collion. This is unlikely to happen since the average man in the street has no idea about causation and contributory factors.

I, too, am interested as to the purpose of your research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 01:16 

I don't think there is anything in the public domain I'm afraid. I take it you've searched for the "STATS 19" database? I don't think it has much detail though. Also seems to be at odds with hospital figures for road casualties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:07 
New User
New User

Have you ever heard of the Health and Safety triangle - for every fatal accident there is 33 serious accidents and 333 minor accidents - i believe this can also be apllied to RTC's - for every 1 fatal, theres 33 serious accidents, 333 minor accidents and perhaps 3,333 minor pbumbs scuffs and knocks that are never recorded statisticly.

Now if you want to reduce the fatal and serious accidents, you aim at the reducing the 3,333, if you can reduce this you may reduce the figures above it? its my theory anyway,

So before you can aim at reducing the number of fatal and serious accidents on our roads you need to find out what causes the smaller ones and set about educating against those problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:08 
Life Member
Life Member

Hopy wrote:
Have you ever heard of the Health and Safety triangle - for every fatal accident there is 33 serious accidents and 333 minor accidents - i believe this can also be apllied to RTC's - for every 1 fatal, theres 33 serious accidents, 333 minor accidents and perhaps 3,333 minor pbumbs scuffs and knocks that are never recorded statisticly.

No, i've not heard of it. Have you a source?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:12 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

ipsg.glf wrote:
Hopy wrote:

I'm sure I recall Paul at some point discussing a 1:10:100 ratio between K, SI and I.

However in recent years K seems to have been creeping up as a proportion of the total - reductions in KSI are not reflected in reductions in K. This suggests something is going awry with the underlying model.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 16:39 
Life Member
Life Member

PeterE wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:
Hopy wrote:

I'm sure I recall Paul at some point discussing a 1:10:100 ratio between K, SI and I.

However in recent years K seems to have been creeping up as a proportion of the total - reductions in KSI are not reflected in reductions in K. This suggests something is going awry with the underlying model.

I can't for the life of me work out how focusing attention on minor (damage only) collisions - which the OP is suggesting - affects fatal collisions which might be occuring hundered of miles away. Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:09 

ipsg.glf wrote:
PeterE wrote:
ipsg.glf wrote:
Hopy wrote:

I can't for the life of me work out how focusing attention on minor (damage only) collisions - which the OP is suggesting - affects fatal collisions which might be occuring hundered of miles away. Am I missing something?

Maybe something along the lines of, if drivers are educated/trained/informed better and avoid having minor shunts, then maybe the knock on impact (no pun intended) has an effect on lessening the total fatalities?

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited by BottyBurp on Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 17:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think it works like this:

Using Paul's ratio of 1:10:100 if we concentrate on the K then we are trying to predict a pretty random event, predict the major causes of that event occurring and try to treat them before it occurs.

However if we look at common factors that result in the 100 and treat the common issues then this will filter through to the remainder.

As an example if a K collision occurs and it's decided that inappropriate speed and following too closely are largely to blame then by treating this instance we may put up more speed limit signs, reduce the limit, put chevrons on the road etc etc - this may help to stop the same type of collision occurring in the same place but other than that it's useless.

If instead we teach COAST to the 100 then we reduce the chances of the 1 and 10 occurring anywhere on the road network, and perhaps significantly reduce the 100.

That's my (badly worded) interpretation.

Cheers

Paul

Upton Sinclair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 21:32 
User

Actually this makes a lot of sense.

Better trained drivers would have less crashes.

And if you have less crashes it must follow that there would be less fatal crashes, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 00:54 

Hopy wrote:
Is there data out there from insurance companies?

Paul tried to get this information many times, unfortunately insurance companies deem it to be commercially sensitive data and are unwilling to place it in the public domain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 09:59 
New User
New User

Yeah, i think thats the case,

It's a shame because you don't need specific dates and times etc, just the outliying causes of many accidents. Insurance companies must keep a data base of accidents as thats how they calculate your premium.

All you need to get the ball rolling is

Cause fo accident - tyres, wet road etc
Location - traffic lights, junctions etc
Age of drivers - 17 - 25 / 25 - 40 / 40 - 60 etc
age of cars involved
etc
etc
etc

This info would give the target groups, areas, age groups to educate and the reasons - tyres, driving in poor light etc for different areas of the country.

So simply put if there were 2,000 accidents within a county and that was broken down into various results - 150 cars had worn tyres, 20 cars were of this type, 225 were between the age of 17 & 25, 600 accidients took place on wet roads. etc etc etc -

you could then educate 17 - 27 yr olds / promote the checking of tyres bla bla bla

i'm rambling abit, but do you get the idea?

The theory works like this:

1 Death
10 Serious injury
100 Minor injury
1000 minor bumps

Reduce the the minor bumps by 50% (example) then it would have a knock on effect and it would look like this

0.5 Deaths
5 Serious injury
50 Minor injury
500 minor bumps

so you would have reduce your deaths to 0.5 per year.

Hope this makes sense, it's just an idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:38 
Life Member
Life Member

Hopy

I would hope for those Police Forces that have proper Collision Investigation Units that this type of thing already goes on.

But what about those areas that have disbanded their RPU's and enforce speed primarily by speed canera - I can't see much emphasis being paid to tyres, HGV's, inappropriate speed for conditions, etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:39 
User

Another way of looking at it is that it is likely much easier for "Fate" to turn a minor accident into a serious one than it is to turn a serious one into a minor one. simply because minor accidents out weigh serious ones by such a large factor.

Reduce the minor accidents and you will also reduce the serious ones.

In any case I have always felt that "Fatals" are over investigated compared to other accidents simply because they involve fatalities.

Consider the accident a while back where a recovery vehicle ran into the back of a lorry, Had "exactly" the same incident occured but with no fatalities, would there have been anything like as much investication??

If garry hart had had "exactly" the same accident but where there wasn't a railway line and he just came to rest in a field. Would he even have been prosecuted??

I suspect not.

Whether or not somebody dies in a RTA is largely down to luck. Its "accidents" we need to be investigating, not "Fatals" as such

The other problem with accedent investigation is that i suspect they are skewed by political pressure and box ticking.

EG Some years ago I read of an accident involving a collision on a contraflow. An Unlicenced minicab lost controll, ploughed through the cones and collided with a vhicle traveling in the opposite direction.

However, the "Victim" was found to be over the limit So Guess who lost his licence. And I will bet a crate of bubbly that this was listed in the official statistics as a "Drink related accident" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 09:21 
User

Quote:
I would hope for those Police Forces that have proper Collision Investigation Units that this type of thing already goes on.

The Police don't usually get involved in minor collisions so the causes are not recorded. The insurance companies get notified of nearly all collisions though, so their data would be much more useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:55 
Life Member
Life Member

semitone wrote:
Quote:

The Police don't usually get involved in minor collisions so the causes are not recorded. The insurance companies get notified of nearly all collisions though, so their data would be much more useful.

Sorry, I meant determining the causes of serious and fatal collisions. I'm aware that the polie do not deal with minor ones, but, like you say, the insurance companies do (assuming the collision is reported to them and not dealt with "without going through the insurance")

But, in any event, i would sincerely hope that Traffic Engineers are looking at engineering problems and TrafPol are dealing with education/enforcement issues.