Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 20:55 
User

Slightly off-topic and also probably an Urban Myth but....

The story goes that market researchers found thet many "working class" youngsters did not feel they had drunk enough unless they WERE sick!

As a result Newcastle Brown and some of the LAger companies added an emetic (drug which induces Vomiting) to the recipe - problem solved, kids were sick and were satsified with the product as it "did the job"cheaper.

As I say probably an Urban Myth - but you never know,

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 21:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
adam.L wrote:
The driver said the classic "sorry mate I didn't see you", honest he did. I tried to point out I was the only one of 30 so visable, but was too busy trying not to die. I couldn't even swear. I had quite nasty whiplash and it was more pain full than when I broke my neck in the summer. If it happens again I won't be so passive.

I've ditched the hi viz

Ditching the hi viz may have been a mistake because in other circumstances it could make a positive difference.

I hate to point this out, but there's another lesson there for you. It's perfectly normal for a door to come flying open on a parked car if it's occupied. Especially so for the drivers door soon after the vehicle has stopped. It was oh so predictable...

I ran in black for 2 years after that with no problems, but have a nice swish, white, wicking running top with hi viz strips in it now.

Yes, point take, but the idiot might have looked. I wasn't first past that car and if he'd have hit the first guy it would have taken the door off. he's a big lad. It is very predictable that a car door might open after it stops, but just as predictable that there might be people on a high street pavement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 02:39 

Many years ago (1979?) I received a freebie hi-viz orange vest with "Devitt DA" on it when I took out my motorbike insurance. Even though it didn't really look "cool", I was very pleased with it and used it all the time, it made me feel much safer. Clever move by the insurance company, better visibility (lower risk) and free advertising !
Also I seem to recall being told that it was a condition of the insurance that I wore the vest... could that be correct, or was I just the gullible "victim" of a safety-conscious insurance broker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 22:49 

I work on construction sites and during the winter when it's tipping down I dive in the car without standing in the rain taking my site (HI-VI) jacket of, funnily enough I hav enoticed that I don't get the idiots (often in SUV's or BMW's) tearing up behind me or trying to cut me up.

Am tempted to wear HI Vi jacket all the time I'm driving. Doing 80,000 miles a year I come across to many idiots not to consider it !!

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 23:13 
User

Quote:
I cycled the same route each day for three weeks.

In week one - I wore a high viz vest

In week two - I wore ordinary clothing

In week three - I wore a black suit with silver buttons and a party policeman's helmet.

For some reason the dark suit was more effective and impersonating a policeman is the most effective way of keeping safe!

The person who posted this appeared to think this significant as a visibility aid.

This is slighly out of the original context - The actual quote was that there was an "urban myth" that a cyclist had carried out the experiment. The conclusion was not that the mock uniform was a visibility aid, but that it simulated the local law enforcement.

This was the suggestion, which is why the suggestion that "twinkling buttons" were a better aid to visibility than HI-Viz clothing is so absurd.

From some of the replies:

Quote:
funnily enough I hav enoticed that I don't get the idiots (often in SUV's or BMW's) tearing up behind me or trying to cut me up.

It is intersting that independent personal experience seems to mirror the "finding" of this "experiment." Could there be some truth in the myth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 01:36 
User

Cunobelin wrote:
Quote:
I cycled the same route each day for three weeks.

In week one - I wore a high viz vest

In week two - I wore ordinary clothing

In week three - I wore a black suit with silver buttons and a party policeman's helmet.

For some reason the dark suit was more effective and impersonating a policeman is the most effective way of keeping safe!

The person who posted this appeared to think this significant as a visibility aid.

This is slighly out of the original context - The actual quote was that there was an "urban myth" that a cyclist had carried out the experiment. The conclusion was not that the mock uniform was a visibility aid, but that it simulated the local law enforcement.

True - you do see people adjust their driving when they see us on patrol. Hard core of pillocks appear oblivious - and these are the ones who attract our attention around our patch. :lol: For example - the "executives" Dratsabasti mentioned are the types who notice the scam at the last minute. They are also the types who would notice my lads at the last minute as well! :lol: In all probability. We do use discretion - but this depends on what is actually seen as well as attitude. Sometimes a sharp warning suffices and sometimes we also issue the fixed penalties as well. But each one - we assess on individual merit.

But yes .. perhaps the image of uniformed BiB makes most of the normal minded MoP behave.

Hard cores just take no notice. Did the weekend stints as young recruit all those years ago. Think the Mad Lad commented somewhere on here that binge drinking, youth fired up with alcohol was just as prevalent in our generation as the current young crop. I remember fellow students drinking pints of beer and vimto and getting into all kinds of scrapes as a result. Follies of youth! :roll: Half my generation smoked joints as well! :shock: I even had a puff or two aged 18! :shock: Did not like it - I was sick for days and never wished to try it ever again as result! Which is just as well - given what I chose to do for a living! :wink:

I once policed a football match in the heavy days of football hooliganism as well.

My police uniform was not a very good safety aid at the time! :roll:

It is not that great today either - and mine has a lot of shiny buttons and shoulder pads on it now! :wink: And my brother has a similar rank to me down in the Met. Made no difference that his uniform was hanging in the wardobe. He still got burgled - and they made off with his DVD player, telly, son's laptop, a mobile telephone and his wife's fave necklace!

And they never managed to catch the burglar either - or retrieve his goodies. So we ain't immune even though we do follow our own security advice. Some will penetrate the best defences!

Cunobelin wrote:
This was the suggestion, which is why the suggestion that "twinkling buttons" were a better aid to visibility than HI-Viz clothing is so absurd.

:oops:
I think you ran over the cat! :wink: I think she was winding you up! :wink: Quite a playful little thing - surprisingly sharp claws though! :shock: :roll: :lol:

She spent the weekend modelling her new gear to me. Have to say - the stuff she bought in Switzerland is highly wearable day and night - and noticeable. She rode the bike and I followed - and could pick her out with normal dips from a good distance on the B6265 across the moors between Wharfedale and Nidderdale. Also the bright lilac one was very good in daylight. as well :wink: Would not wear this myself - does not suit my - er - image! :lol: :shock: But she had a nice two tone blue one which was very suitable - and very visible -day and night. The paler blue did show in my dipped lights.

So - there is some really decent gear coming out now - which keeps one visible, makes one look less of a pr@t, and allows one to stand out from the crowd of greeny-yellowy items.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 20:40 
User

Und in Spain und in Italy - they have law requiring all driver to carry high viz clothing - cunobelin Liebchen.

But Liebchen on the bike - did you know that I have a 3 second better chance of seeing you jazzed up mit the high viz vest und not as the boring old fartie in the darkest donkey jacket? :wink: That is about 40 metre in a 30 mph zone.

That ist quite a good safety margin!

But wait .. who ist behind these facts und figures...

A Spanish manuafacturer of such cothing ... so a bit of a vested interest - nicht?

Tootles

Wildy who has just been copped by an irate Mad Moggie und my tea ist ready! :lol:
:wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 22:19 

Mad Moggie wrote:
Und in Spain und in Italy - they have law requiring all driver to carry high viz clothing - cunobelin Liebchen.......
A Spanish manuafacturer of such cothing ... so a bit of a vested interest - nicht?

Tootles

Wildy who has just been copped by an irate Mad Moggie und my tea ist ready! :lol:

Wildy and MM. Do your kids realise that both their parents are certifiably barking mad :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 22:49 
User

Rigpig wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:
Und in Spain und in Italy - they have law requiring all driver to carry high viz clothing - cunobelin Liebchen.......

Tootles

Wildy and MM. Do your kids realise that both their parents are certifiably barking mad :D

Isn't this something that all kids know? I learnt from an early age that my parents should have been locked up and on medication!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 23:16 
Site Admin

Rigpig wrote:

In this sad case, I believe I recognise the tell tail signs of catnip abuse.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 00:22 
Life Member
Life Member

SafeSpeed wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

I was going to say that, but you beat me by a whisker.

I feel a litter coming on :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 00:32 
User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Rigpig wrote:

Mad Lad (the normal one!) back at his own computer (and changed all the access codes into it yet again!

I made the mistake of leaving the machine switched on whilst I played around in the kitchen. :wink: Did not take her long to to get up to mischief! :roll:

Yes - our kids really do think they are the only normal people in this household. I went easy on the catnip - might lead to more kittens :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 15:08 
Suspended
Suspended

Location: Ignoring the mental pygmies (and there are a lot of them here)

Last edited by FJSRiDER on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:37, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 01:51 
User

Out of interest, how many people here (or elsewhere) do you think will see someone at the side of the road in a hi vis jacket and immediately assume it's a copper with a laser gun and thus start doing the stare at the speedo thing, reducing the attention paid to the road and ultimately increase the risk of accidents.

I know that any van on the road that has high vis markings on the back eg. highway maintenance vans and some breakdown vans immediately cause everyone to slow down to 65 on the motorways and not overtake for fear of prosecution, so I bet a high vis jacket at the side of the road would do similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:44 
User

diy wrote:
reflective high vis at night has a valuable contribution for motorcylists. There is a problem when riding at night in moderate traffic (e.g. unlit dual cariage way) where the motorcyles tail lights can appear blended with the vehicle in front. This can mean a driver may not judge the speed/distance properly and produce a SMIDSY. Reflective strips help to create an outline to focus attention.

Although I also wear a high vis body warmer during daylight riding, I'm not convinced it offer much of a safety aid.

I have to say i have been thinking about this a lot.

I am new to riding a motorbike and have picked up a Hi-Viss vest that I always ware.

But what is the actual evidence it works? Now don’t get me wrong I am willing to do just about any thing to live to enjoy my riding but I have yet to find anything other than anecdotal evidence of there actual effectiveness.

Standing at just over 6’2 and been heavily built with it dressed in bright colored jacket and riding a larger motorbike with lights always on I find it hard to believe any one would miss my at all but it seams people still do.

So does my Hi-Viss vest really make me? Less likely to become a victim of the SMIDSY or is there something else going on that’s stopping people seeing bikes and some of the other hazards on the road?

I have to say I have noticed no improvement in pedestrians just steeping out in fount of my bike than before I got my vest (it a absolute bugger getting one my size) and now and really thinking hard about fitting s air horn to the bike in a vain attempt to warn the hard of thinking that 400kg of fast moving bike is barring down on them.

WTF is with the lemmings in London I just can’t believe how low the death toll is with the way these people act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 13:48 
User

some of us drive for a living and hiviz vests are part of PPE. i sometimes wear it to and from work too but then again, i park 'on site' and technically, should not get out of my car unless i am wearing one.
they are only really any use at night though. during the day, they only serve a purpose to distinguish between a worker and a pedestrian

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 01:13 
User

Quote:
Being seen helps - and the stronger the bicycle lamps, with some kind of pale clothing in winter (not necessarily a full hig high ziz - but just enough to get one noticed ) certainly helps.

I agree with that! My experience is that stripes and dots on arms, legs, and moving cycle parts (cranks etc.) are more effective because they highlight the movement at night.
All surfaces of my bike have Scotchlite dots on, and the tyres have a reflective stripe built into the sidewall.
My main front lamp is a CATEYE HL-EL300 5 LED, cost £32.99 in Britain, £19.75 in the States.
In addition, I have a 3 LED CATEYE HL-EL400 COMPACT OPTICUBE (£27.99 in Britain, £17.50 in the States) mounted on my helmet which lights up wherever I LOOK, either into a road/lane I am turning into, or at oncoming motorists who dont dip their headlights!! :x
The prices we pay here are fixed - despite searching the internet, not one supplier was below the £32.99 price - not even £32.95.
This means we are detering safety to defend profit!
Image Image
This is effective in keeping you "in view". The US version is available in Black, but NOT in the UK! The other advantage is the lamp has a standby mode (3 out of 5 LED's ) when the battery gets low, extending use from 70 hours to 90 hours per set of batteries! The 3 LED unit has an intrinsically safe magnetic switch, and is waterproof to 5 metres depth! Just what you need in the Lake District at times!
I would recommend this combination to anyone - but order them online from the U.S. and save yourself a bob or two!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:15 
User

Hi All,

Haven't logged in for a while, so *waves* :surprise:

Thought this might be of interest (also re: the m/c 'hi-viz in Europe' thread):

http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge_co ... mplete.pdf

Iconic garden art - unique, stylish gifts for gardens & gardeners:
http://www.teaselart.co.uk/
New designs inspired by Mackintosh, Celtic Art, Warhol, Chinese lettering, etc.

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 14:22 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Different views on this. I posted elsewhere about on a rail blockade where everybody wore at least a hi viz vest .My mate took of his Hi viz jacket ,to let him remove his ordinary jacket . He immediately stood out from the crowd. Again at night ,with decent hi viz, I've spotter blokes at least a hundred yards away when the beam on my hand lamp hit the reflective stripes . And I've had a comment from a Trafpol when we broke down on the M6 a couple of years ago and both were on verge in HI Viz orange fleeces about how we stood out in daylight .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 
User

I do know that Low Viz clothing can be quite effective ..... if you don't want to be seen! A while back I pulled out to overtake and was very surprised when a single headlight came on mid lane some way in front of me .... I abandoned the overtake sharpish ...... turned out to be a motorcycle, painted matt black all over, rider wearing all camouflage gear including helmet, blended in perfectly with the road and the background of hillside and bushes/trees. Even after I saw the headlight come on I couldn't actually make out the vehicle or rider until it was much closer, just the light :shock:

I also came across a cyclist half way round a corner towing a trailer one night on the A82, didn't see him till I was quite close to him as the trailer was obscuring the tail light on his bicycle, he had no reflectors showing, and was dressed in all black gear, trailer was black too and had no lights or reflectors fitted. I did stop and mention that his rear light was obscured and he was really very difficult to see from behind ..... This did not impress the bloke .... apparently my car will fit somewhere I don't think it really will :o

Hi Viz clothing of any description would definitely have been of benefit on both those occasions.